August 21, 2014, 12:30:10 AM

Author Topic: Is the 5D Mark III Sharp??  (Read 6856 times)

JohnX

Is the 5D Mark III Sharp??
« on: April 02, 2012, 12:22:45 AM »
Hello all, I've been lurking behind the scene ever since the launch of the Mark III and there has been numerous threads about how soft the 5d mark III is.  This almost deterred me from purchasing the camera, however, since I sold my old Xsi in anticipation of purchasing this camera I was camera-less and had to take the chance.  I can say for sure that I couldn't be any happier with its performance.  Below is a sample of how sharp the camera can be with the kit lens.  :D

100% Crop

canon rumors FORUM

Is the 5D Mark III Sharp??
« on: April 02, 2012, 12:22:45 AM »

tasteofjace

Re: Is the 5D Mark III Sharp??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:43:55 AM »
Looks great! Yeah, I'm not sure what all the nay saying is all about?? Maybe the expectations for this camera were too high?? Much like any sequel to a good movie.

I'm very happy with mine, that's for sure!

dunkers

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 12:45:44 AM »
I thought the only complaints about the images being soft was when it was processed using DPP, which is due to a bug/glitch.
5D3 | 60D | 100L IS | 70-200L II IS | 24-105L

JohnX

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:49:49 AM »
Possible, however, I perceived it as being soft in general from the various threads I've read.  This camera is phenomenal in every way. Now I can't ever blame the camera for my lack of photography skills.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 12:55:41 AM »
is that the jpg out of camera or a converted RAW?

I think the 5Dmk2 set a pretty high bar to be honest but it looks like you AF is working properly
what AF settings were you using by the way?
APS-H Fanboy

tasteofjace

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 12:58:46 AM »
I thought the only complaints about the images being soft was when it was processed using DPP, which is due to a bug/glitch.

There's about a bazillion remarks on here that refer the camera just being naturally soft aside from the perceived DPP bug.

I think many of the issues are definitely user error. I know I was having issues at first, and it was definitely my own fault. I'm getting it all dialed in now!

JohnX

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 01:02:01 AM »
is that the jpg out of camera or a converted RAW?

I think the 5Dmk2 set a pretty high bar to be honest but it looks like you AF is working properly
what AF settings were you using by the way?

This photo was off of JPEG since Aperture does not natively support CR2s from the mark III yet.  I was using the AF point expansion a little left of the eye at f/5.6 1/400s and at 105mm.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 01:02:01 AM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 01:14:58 AM »
cool, I think you will be amazed at how much better the raw of that shot looks anyway ;)
do you have a fast aperture lens? a nifty fifty or know someone who does so you can try it out very wide open?
thats where i am finding mine goes all haywire at relatively narrow apertures its ok but go wide and everything goes to hell. and i'm not even pushing the lenses right down to f1.4 (which they preform perfectly at on all my other cameras) even stopped down to f2 or f2.8 they are miss focusing bigtime.

Believe me i'm not taking the camera back because of a few bad shots. I have spent a massive amount of time troubleshooting this and I am certain the problem lies in the AF on my copy (however it seems lots of people are getting good results, I just suggest you check it thoroughly while you are still in a window you can return it if you do find problems a $100 50mm f1.8 will show up any wide aperture focusing issues if they are there.
APS-H Fanboy

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 02:16:53 AM »
If you shoot raw then the camera is neither sharp nor soft.

A lens can be soft if its focus alignment does not match up with the camera (see discussions on micro-focus adjust).

A JPEG can be soft if the conversion algorithm is not up to scratch.

That's it.

There's no such thing as a sharp or soft DSLR.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 02:20:54 AM »

A lens can be soft if its focus alignment does not match up with the camera (see discussions on micro-focus adjust).

That's it.

I would disagree about raw not being sharp
you can clearly see if its sharper or not when you open the raw file
the camera applys too much smudging to its jpg rendering IMO
And you dont think i have micro adjusted this thing to hell and back?
I even posted the raws up here
APS-H Fanboy

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 02:22:10 AM »

That's it.

Not sure that's entirely true... If you remove the AA filter, the camera will be sharper. It doesn't make the lens sharper, the camera gets sharper.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 06:04:40 AM »
that is soft to me at 100%

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 06:21:14 AM »
All that matters is that the image is in focus.

Sharpness is something else and is very irrelevant for all uses except forums like this!

On facebook, do you zoom to 100%? Printed, do you Zoom to 100%?
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 06:21:14 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 06:28:12 AM »

That's it.

I would disagree about raw not being sharp
you can clearly see if its sharper or not when you open the raw file
the camera applys too much smudging to its jpg rendering IMO
And you dont think i have micro adjusted this thing to hell and back?
I even posted the raws up here

When you open a raw file, you see one of two things:
- the jpeg file embedded inside of it (which is therefore subject to the camera's rendering and is thus not the raw data itself)
- how the program opening the raw file renders the image and what sort of sharpness it has.

If a raw image is "soft" then it is because of the software/lens, not the camera.

AUGS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 07:13:59 AM »
cool, I think you will be amazed at how much better the raw of that shot looks anyway ;)
do you have a fast aperture lens? a nifty fifty or know someone who does so you can try it out very wide open?
thats where i am finding mine goes all haywire at relatively narrow apertures its ok but go wide and everything goes to hell. and i'm not even pushing the lenses right down to f1.4 (which they preform perfectly at on all my other cameras) even stopped down to f2 or f2.8 they are miss focusing bigtime.
Believe me i'm not taking the camera back because of a few bad shots. I have spent a massive amount of time troubleshooting this and I am certain the problem lies in the AF on my copy (however it seems lots of people are getting good results, I just suggest you check it thoroughly while you are still in a window you can return it if you do find problems a $100 50mm f1.8 will show up any wide aperture focusing issues if they are there.

Hey Wickid, firstly, I appreciate all the testing you have done and reported back here.  When I tried to reproduce your work, it confirmed to me that I had a good (or better) copy.
I just checked mine using the 50/f1.8 at 1.8, 2.0, 2.8, 4.0, 5.6, 8.0, 16.0 and found all focused really quickly and sharp on an ISO12233 chart.  I used single point focus on the centre of the chart, tripod, remote release and mirror lockup to make sure I didn't disrupt the focus or create camera shake myself.
Now as you can see, this is VERY controlled conditions, and I haven't tried it in real world conditions at lower than f5.6 (and that was sharp), but this gives me great confidence going forward.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 07:13:59 AM »