July 18, 2018, 06:28:28 PM

Author Topic: Shot wedding with 5DIII, dissapointed in AF  (Read 71626 times)

shizam1

Re: Shot wedding with 5DIII, dissapointed in AF
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 01:17:17 PM »
I would not recommend practicing on paying customers.

Me either, that's why I had two 5DII bodies with me in addition, and was going between them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 01:17:17 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »
I'm a little amused at all the people on this thread trying to convince the original poster that it's all his fault and he just doesn't know what he is doing.

shizam1

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »
I'm a little amused at all the people on this thread trying to convince the original poster that it's all his fault and he just doesn't know what he is doing.

I agree... but I am glad there are a couple of people, who actually own the camera and have shot in similar situations,  that provided useful information to try and get better results out of the AF.

Bosman

• EOS 5DS R
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
Hey anything is possible man. The most specific problem a person runs into with big glass is focus and i continue preaching to never use servo mode with big glass. People who have it should test out what i am saying and they will see just how much impact that can have. I'd say its more like we want to help and figure out where we may need to adjust how we shoot. At least that is what is true for me.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

dericcainphoto

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »
My other favorite features are pushing the "SET" button and the finger dial to adjust ISO directly in the viewfinder ...
This is one of the coolest time-saving features! I have limited my AF to cross type only. In your opinion, do you think just using the 15 points is better than using cross type only? Thanks for the input!

briansquibb

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 02:16:32 PM »
The best way is to practice with a new camera in all the situations so if there is a problem then it can be sorted before you get to a critical shoot

Tim Larsen

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2012, 02:23:25 PM »
My other favorite features are pushing the "SET" button and the finger dial to adjust ISO directly in the viewfinder ...
This is one of the coolest time-saving features! I have limited my AF to cross type only. In your opinion, do you think just using the 15 points is better than using cross type only? Thanks for the input!

I limit the selectable to the 15 so I can move across the viewfinder quickly.  I also have the selection loop around the screen instead of stopping at the edges.

All 15 are cross type.  When I'm tracking in a lot of light I'll switch to the point surrounded by all of the points around it.

I do this because a lot of what I shoot on a wedding day is photojournalism so I need to be able to get across the screen with AF points very quickly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2012, 02:23:25 PM »

SandyP

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 02:26:38 PM »
Well, I mean, if other people suggest whatever, but if people out there are having great success with it as a wedding camera in all sorts of dark situations, then obviously the user/OP is doing something "wrong", or there is something wrong with his specific camera, and not the camera in general.

Ryan Brenziner and Jonas Peterson have been raving about how much of a game changer this is for Canon, especially for weddings (they're two huge names in the business), and hey, Ryan is basically a Nikon shooter saying that. They've been pumping out some great opinions on it lately.

So that isn't saying the OP is stupid, of course not, but obviously something is going on...

publiux

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2012, 02:29:26 PM »
I had newborn shoot on Sunday. Focusing was spot on and fast. I did to a the AF microadjustments last week (+7 steps).

Mr Simpleton

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2012, 02:34:19 PM »
So I had to try for my self... using Mk2 with center focus point, and the Mk3 tested with either spot or just center point, and/or expanded. Used same 70-200/2,8Mk2 lens swapped between the two cameras.

While the Mk2 gave focus confirmation almost instant, the Mk3 took it's time each and every time. I am sure the new Mk3 do have more precision, but still we are talking seconds here!

Even tried to alter from focus to shutter priority but of course had no impact on time till confirmation.
And yes this was in marginal light...

shizam1

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »
Well, I mean, if other people suggest whatever, but if people out there are having great success with it as a wedding camera in all sorts of dark situations, then obviously the user/OP is doing something "wrong", or there is something wrong with his specific camera, and not the camera in general.

Ryan Brenziner and Jonas Peterson have been raving about how much of a game changer this is for Canon, especially for weddings (they're two huge names in the business), and hey, Ryan is basically a Nikon shooter saying that. They've been pumping out some great opinions on it lately.

So that isn't saying the OP is stupid, of course not, but obviously something is going on...

Thanks for saying I might not be stupid :)

I THINK the problem is I was using expanded area on the point I selected.  Some other replys said they had the same problem as me, and changed to single point instead and that made the AF much faster.  This is for "single shot" drive btw.

You would think something like that would be mentioned in all those reviews, or in the documentation, but I haven't seen anything like that.

Anyway... I'll be testing tonight and seeing if I can reproduce the slower AF that I was experiencing, and see if changing the mode makes the speed increase I'm hoping for and was expecting!

shizam1

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2012, 02:40:14 PM »
So I had to try for my self... using Mk2 with center focus point, and the Mk3 tested with either spot or just center point, and/or expanded. Used same 70-200/2,8Mk2 lens swapped between the two cameras.

While the Mk2 gave focus confirmation almost instant, the Mk3 took it's time each and every time. I am sure the new Mk3 do have more precision, but still we are talking seconds here!

Even tried to alter from focus to shutter priority but of course had no impact on time till confirmation.

So turning off the expanded didn't increase the speed for you in the 5DIII?

Tracy Pinto

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2012, 02:43:36 PM »
shizam1 you are not alone...Simpleton is right in there with you.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:56:45 PM by Tracy Pinto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2012, 02:43:36 PM »

Mr Simpleton

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2012, 02:48:14 PM »
So turning off the expanded didn't increase the speed for you in the 5DIII?

Sorry to say, I could not see any major difference :( Seems that the accuracy has its price.
Still I new to this Mk3 and hopefully I just having my settings all wrong. But not many settings to alter in single shot though.

Looking forward to heard about your findings.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2012, 02:52:29 PM »

Interesting. it would be interesting to try to see how the results from the Mk3 compared when forced to fire after the same time as the 5D2 had. One would hope it would do at least as well in terms of hit rate.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2012, 02:52:29 PM »