November 27, 2014, 11:45:03 AM

Author Topic: 1Ds Mark IV & 5D3 Thoughts & Lens Patent  (Read 16601 times)

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 1Ds Mark IV & 5D3 Thoughts & Lens Patent
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 07:22:45 AM »
All I want in a 5DIII is the same as 5DII but with pro-level weather sealing and better AF.

Listen to me Canon - the 5D range brief is for a compact full frame body. It *needs* weather sealing and better AF. Keep the frame rates low and you won't monopolize the 1D/s range but you'll keep punters like me happy and stop me going to Nikon!

That's all the 1Ds mainly has going for it, how would that not monopolize those sales (1-2 fps difference ain't going to be the deal breaker)?  I've taken my 5D2 in rain and snow and it still has worked fine.  Since you use a 2 body set up, a 5D2 and 7D would be the ideal situation to get that AF and reach you need for wildlife.

Compared to 1DmkIV or 1DmkV - sports shooters will want the 'pro' level AF and some other pro features, and sports shooters will scoff at the FPS of a 5DII or 5DIII.

Compared to 1Ds mkIV - now that's where Canon is worried. Still, I think Canon will work in much high MP into this, as well as full pro AF, and pros will want the built in portrait grip. I think the 5DIII will go up a fair bit in price and they'll sell the 5DII for a while yet, so this won't monopolise the 1Ds mk IV sales.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 07:22:45 AM »

Flake

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 05:49:14 AM »
"If you're a pro going to shoot in Iraq, you'll choose the 1Ds.  Period."

I disagree!  Anyone shooting war footage wants video which the 1Ds doesn't have, plus it's too slow and the files are too big.  Anyone using Canon in Iraq will want the 1D MkIV which is much more news friendly.

I find it hard to foresee a 42MP sensor from Nikon.  At the present state of development Nikon can only manage a 12MP sensor, the 24MP Sony unit places severe demands on the under developed Expeed Image processor making the D3s one of the slowest cameras on the market at just 1.3fps.  Upping the sensor to 42MP would make the camera unuseable without massive data handling improvements.

As for Canon I do wonder about the economic sense of developing and producing two different FF sensors, while it might make economic sense for the 5D series, sales of the 1Ds surely are insufficient to make a special ultra complex sensor viable.

A jump to 42MP would be a doubling of density and needs at least twice the processing to even stand still in fps I doubt Digic V will be that powerful.

I don't foresee the problems with lenses other have, but it wont make the problems with lenses like the 17 - 40 f/4 L any better as wide open at 17mm it has no measureable resolution at the corners now!  Higher resolutions just make problems more noticeable.

hilmimurat

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 07:28:45 AM »

I've been waiting more than a year for 1DS mark IV. Something must be gone wrong with new design. Canon plays the game lack of an important player in Pro DSLR segment and loosing the match.

They have to discard that hot pixel problem first. In my opinion 21 mp. is the limit of 35 mm. format, more pixels will be interpolated resolution and waste of disk space in my opinion. I wish new 1DS will not include a movie option and focuses on photo quality...

Flake

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 12:19:03 PM »
Surely Canon must be looking at the 1D MkIV and the 7D and wondering why sales of the 1D haven't been affected when they have with the 1Ds & the 5D MkII.   Surely price must be a factor, is the 1Ds really worth £4500 When the only really difference is the sensor thats over £1000 premium over the 1D and the price of that hasn't really come down since its launch, in the days of the MkIII it was £2000 dearer.

The 7D doesn't seem quite as well built as the 5D MkII which could play a part, and I wonder if Canon will downgrade the MkIII to 7D standards to create a wider gap.

I think though that the biggest problem here is the different uses the cameras have, the 1D is a real action tool, sports, journalism, commercial photography, where it needs to be able to handle all that hard work can throw at it, wheras the 1Ds is better for studio & product work where life is much more comfortable, and it's build isn't quite so important, you could go through 3 5D MkII's for the price of one 1Ds

Canon has a choice, it either cheapens the 5D MkIII which might not be popular especially if Nikons D800 has a decent sensor, or it uprates it and drops the 1Ds line.  Of course if could carry on as it does now with the 1Ds as an expensive niche product.

macfly

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 03:31:29 PM »
Well, for those who thought 40mp is too much, I just got the announcement that MF has just moved up to 80mp. http://www.phaseone.com/Phase%20One/Digital-Backs/IQ180/IQ180-Info.aspx

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »
The 5D range was always intended to be a 1Ds grade full frame sensor placed in a pro-sumer body, with 3-4fps. Generally, it's supposed to be launched a year after the 1Ds version, using a simular density sensor.

Has Canon stated this, or are you generalizing based on n=2?

Yes, the 5DII and 50D white paper page 6. A simular coment was also made in the 5D white paper too.
http://www.usa.canon.com/uploadedimages/FCK/Image/White%20Papers/EOS%2050D%20and%205D%20Mark%20II%20WP2.pdf

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »