September 01, 2014, 10:05:47 PM

Author Topic: From the Land of Crazy! [CR0]  (Read 13430 times)

Bob Howland

Re: From the Land of Crazy! [CR0]
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 07:37:43 AM »
Canon FF camera 16 MP ??? No way , I don't think they will downgrade the resolution on FF camera.

I'm not so sure. For one thing, Canon reduced the pixel count in the G11 P&S. Second, I see the new model as emphasizing video much more than in the past. To get some idea about what they're doing with their video cameras, select  "Canon HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor" here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_m41#Features

That reads like something that Nikon would write about why the D3s is better than the 1DMk4.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:00:01 AM by Bob Howland »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 07:37:43 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »
I think the give away here is the battery grip giving an increase in fps - that really is a Nikon trick to try to rival Canons superior performance.

Really?  Check out the specs for the Canon EOS-1V - "Continuous up to 3.5 frames per second (up to 10 frames per second with BP-E2/NP-E2)." Several of its predecessors, like the EOS-3 and EOS-1n, also had increased frame rates with the battery grip.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

olav

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 08:54:04 AM »
I like this rumor very much except for:  small body, single card slot & no mention of weather sealing.  Am I the only one that prefers a larger body?
No, you aren't! I used the 60d last week and have to say its size is pretty much borderline!

Did you use the 60D with or without the battery pack? With my 5D and 40D, the difference is dramatic with the battery pack. My EOS-3 film camera is/was the same way.
I used it without the battery pack. With it attached it should be fine although i had the impression (i didn't measure it) that the grip ( the camera's grip) is a bit smaller than the older xxD's grip.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »
Well you're really having to scrape the barrel to dissagree !  Every single camera you have quoted is a film unit, hardly the same at all.

Please explain why that makes a difference.  You suggested that a higher frame rate enabled by a battery grip was 'a Nikon trick' and I pointed out the specifications of a Canon camera that has the same feature.  It seems pretty relevant to the discussion, and since it's a camera that is currently in production, it's hardly 'scraping the barrel'. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 09:32:13 AM »
If the digital technology is not affected by the same factors as film technology, then why does a digital Nikon body need a battery grip to increase FPS? 

I'm actually curious because I never understood how this works, exactly.  Is there an extra processor in the grip?

Bob Howland

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:22 AM »
If the digital technology is not affected by the same factors as film technology, then why does a digital Nikon body need a battery grip to increase FPS? 

I'm actually curious because I never understood how this works, exactly.  Is there an extra processor in the grip?

I think the battery voltage is higher, allowing the film transport motors and digital processing circuitry to run faster.

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 09:41:39 AM »
a quick google search tells me that the only reason is that nikon wants to sell grips harder than canon does, and cripples their cameras on purpose, then uncrippling them for the price of a grip

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/162154-nikon-d300-8-fps-w-out-battery-grip.html

a quick way to test this theory is to see whether the nikons get higher fps also with only one battery installed in the grip
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:45:54 AM by NormanBates »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 09:41:39 AM »

ms

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 09:48:58 AM »
is it me or is this more like (IF it were real) to be the nikon mirrorless body than something coming from canon? Don't get me wrong... if canon put out an FF mirrorless with these kinds of specs I'd be bonkers for it but as of late I've toned down my expectations from Canon (mainly sticking with them b/c I like adapting lenses to the EOS mount)... here's hoping I'm wrong and that Canon give us some pleasant surprises

Mr.Magic

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 5DmkIII baby!
    • View Profile
    • Photography Dennis Hens
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 09:54:35 AM »
Looks like a dream camera! 16 MP FF, always dreamed off! 8)
I'd buy it immediately for $2200
5DIII | 24-70mm f2.8 L USM | 70-200 f4 L IS USM | 580EXII | 50mm f1.8

Catastrophile

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 10:18:30 AM »
16.7MP sound too low a megapixel count for two reasons:

1) in combination with the high price and the relatively low fps, one of the 3 factors has to change, either increase the fps or the megapixel or reduce the price.

2) if this materializes, it'll be considerably lower in pixel density than 1DIV and if I'm not wrong Canon has never before gone to a lower pixel density than whatever they have/had in their latest 1D.

if the megapixel and/or the fps are increased (plus maybe adding dual card slots and weather sealing), the specs will be about you'd expect from merging and "budgetizing" the 1D+1Ds lines.

Justin

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »
Hence, "from the land of crazy."

16.7MP sound too low a megapixel count for two reasons:

1) in combination with the high price and the relatively low fps, one of the 3 factors has to change, either increase the fps or the megapixel or reduce the price.

2) if this materializes, it'll be considerably lower in pixel density than 1DIV and if I'm not wrong Canon has never before gone to a lower pixel density than whatever they have/had in their latest 1D.

if the megapixel and/or the fps are increased (plus maybe adding dual card slots and weather sealing), the specs will be about you'd expect from merging and "budgetizing" the 1D+1Ds lines.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 11:07:33 AM »
The guy that sent the rumor to me was offended.

He swears it's coming for CP+!

Maybe this won't be a weekly feature. :)

Great thread though.
canonrumors.com

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 11:16:54 AM »
heh.  I'd be offended by anyone trying to charge me that much for a camera like that.  Unless it's got a big red dot on the camera, in which case I'd either a. denounce it as a knockoff or b. buy three

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 11:16:54 AM »

Catastrophile

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 11:28:50 AM »

The guy that sent the rumor to me was offended.

He swears it's coming for CP+!

Maybe this won't be a weekly feature. :)

Great thread though.

maybe you can just use "CR0" for this kind of rumors without labeling them as "From the Land of Crazy" and such.

Mr.Magic

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 5DmkIII baby!
    • View Profile
    • Photography Dennis Hens
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »
Actually, I heard the same rumor in the largest camera shop in my country....
Still, I think canon won't make such a camera, but I'm still hoping they will.
5DIII | 24-70mm f2.8 L USM | 70-200 f4 L IS USM | 580EXII | 50mm f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »