July 28, 2014, 04:48:14 AM

Author Topic: If Nikon made Canon mount lenses  (Read 2838 times)

ejenner

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: If Nikon made Canon mount lenses
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
LOL.  I bet this is a misconception because the lens is actually at f2.8 before the shot is taken, not wide open at 1.2.  Thus when you disconnect it in the above example, the 85 1.2 is actually at f2.8 not 1.2.

This confused me with my sig 85 1.4 initially, especially when using LV and DOF preview - I'd set the aperture at 1.4, press DOF prevew and the image would change.  Then I looked at the diaphragm before taking the shot and realized that it was set at f2.8, not wide open at f1.4.  Of course lenses with max apertures of 2.8 or greater will be at their maximum aperture before the shot is taken.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »

Neeneko

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »

- A manual lens, like a zeiss, samyang, m42-via-adapter, so the camera doesn't know what the aperture is. Take a shot on a 5Dx /1Dsx, and take the same shot on a film-body (if you can develop the film to exact-enough standards),the film should vignette less because film doesn't have the 'wells' like digital sensors have.

Damn, now I am curious to try this out.  I have an f0.9 lens with Canon mount at home, all manual, which would work well for this test ^_^

Though this again makes me really want one of those Maxmax conversions where they remove the CFA and microlenses....

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 05:00:21 PM »
This confused me with my sig 85 1.4 initially, especially when using LV and DOF preview - I'd set the aperture at 1.4, press DOF prevew and the image would change.  Then I looked at the diaphragm before taking the shot and realized that it was set at f2.8, not wide open at f1.4.  Of course lenses with max apertures of 2.8 or greater will be at their maximum aperture before the shot is taken.

Were you using live-view in bright sun?
I've noticed that a while ago, i had my 100 f/2.0 on a tripod, on liveview, testing out different CPLs. When I changed a filter, i heard the aperture clicking. After a bit of investigation, I realised that it was stopping down the lens to f/4 or so when it was pointing at the bright sky, when I put my hand or my face or a CPL in front of it (ie, the scene was darker) the lens would go back wide-open.
I presume it's some sort of protection-mechanism for the sensor, too bright sunlight would obviously cook it.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 05:00:21 PM »