November 23, 2014, 03:23:27 PM

Author Topic: Best 5d3 custom function AF point selection quick!  (Read 10350 times)

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
Re: Best 5d3 custom function AF point selection quick!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 01:04:00 AM »
Go to the CF menu, second one, custom controls.  Then, go to the one in the right column, at the bottom, called Multi-Controller AF point direct selection.  Its default is off, hit it and select AF point direct selection.  Now focus the camera and move the Multi controller (joy stick), you can select the AF point with out going in to a menu! 

If this has been covered, great, but I just noticed it from a post to something in another thread.

Note, I only use spot AF and have the other modes turned off.
I believe it was an option after a firmware update for my old 5D and i loved it so much as soon as i got my 1dm3 I set that up the same way, same thing with the 5dm3, one of the first things i did is set that up. It makes so much sense.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 01:04:00 AM »

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 01:14:46 AM »
This is on page 326 of the manual under "AF point direct selection"

prestonpalmer

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 05:12:09 AM »
I set this up before I took a picture with it :) same on my 5d2 and 7d

Waiting on Godot

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »
Wow. Despite reading the manual, I was totally oblivious to this incredibly useful tip. My 20D had the old school scroll-through-the-custom-functions menu.

While we're on the topic, what are some other highly useful tweaks and tips that are assumed knowledge? I think we'll be surprised to see how many people were otherwise unaware.

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 09:14:03 AM »
And if you push the multi-controller straight in, if you had moved the center AF point to another position, it brings it right back to the center. 

Yes, and if you push straight in again it goes back the the AF point you were just using.

I didn't realize this but found it out last night by playing around.  Thanks, Dan. :)
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

Dianoda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 11:04:18 AM »
While we're on the topic, what are some other highly useful tweaks and tips that are assumed knowledge? I think we'll be surprised to see how many people were otherwise unaware.

I expect most of us are already well aware of this, but if you aren't, try setting the AF-on button to AF-start and decoupling AF-start from the shutter half press (switch the half-press from AF + metering start to just metering start) - this arrangement is one of the major advantages of the mid and high-end bodies over the Rebels and gives you a great deal more control over AF in use.
Current Kit: Some cameras and a bunch of lenses, maybe even a tripod or two

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »
A quick question regarding the Registered AF point on p.324 of the manual. I don't have my camera with me to try at the moment and have been meaning to test it.

Why is a registered AF point useful, will the camera change from whatever focusing mode it is in to the registered one with the touch of a button?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »

KeithR

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 02:54:34 PM »
Why is a registered AF point useful, will the camera change from whatever focusing mode it is in to the registered one with the touch of a button?

The AF mode doesn't change, but the beauty of the registered AF point (and I use this option all the time) is that simply by turning the camera from landscape to portrait orientation, the AF point will instantly jump to the preselected position you've already decided is best for portrait mode; and when you rotate the camera back to landscape, the AF point goes right back to where it had been when you were shooting in that orientation.

Shooting birds for example, this ability saves vital seconds which can make the difference between getting the shot and not.

Mind you, it'd be more useful again if the 7D's grip had a built-in joystick a la 5D Mk III so that you could fine-tune the AF point selection in portrait; but even without that, the automatic switching to pre-chosen AF points is a Godsend.

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 10:43:45 AM »
Canon has released a download on using the AF system in the 1Dx which is applicable to the 5D3. They give examples of suggesting setting for different scenarios, etc.  A little more practical detail than the operating manual.  In looking at this I also stumbled across this article-  http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/5d3_multiple_af_points.shtml

And here is Canon's download:  http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml?categoryId=12

I know this is getting a little side tracked from the thread topic but I think they are nice resources to have and explain the AF system better.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:45:22 AM by jalbfb »
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

LIsnap

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 11:37:31 AM »
This is great!  Thanks.  I too missed it in the manual.  I'm coming from the 50D and this feature is new to me.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »
This is great!  Thanks.  I too missed it in the manual.  I'm coming from the 50D and this feature is new to me.

50D here too, what a jump, eh?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »
Good info.  But the topic sounds like something I would get spammed with.  Ha!

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »

50D here too, what a jump, eh?
40D here so the AF system is light years ahead of what I am used to!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »

EvilTed

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 07:19:22 PM »
Awesome, that's a cool tip, thnx m8 ;)

millan

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 07:44:26 AM »
My old 20D selects the centre AF point when the multi controller (joy stick) is pressed. It is very convenient, when I have to quickly move the AF point to the edge position.  Does the 5D3 work the same way?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 07:44:26 AM »