November 27, 2014, 10:07:24 PM

Author Topic: Best 5d3 custom function AF point selection quick!  (Read 10364 times)

fraxs

Re: Best 5d3 custom function AF point selection quick!
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 08:10:54 AM »
50D here too, what a jump, eh?

I'm coming from 500D thats a huge jump! I was really in trouble to focus a rabbit yesterday in AI-Servo. I've got to play this whole weekend.

It's normal that the images looks soft in the cam-preview? I thought my 24-105 oder 70/200 4 is out of focus...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 08:10:54 AM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 08:40:04 AM »
My old 20D selects the centre AF point when the multi controller (joy stick) is pressed. It is very convenient, when I have to quickly move the AF point to the edge position.  Does the 5D3 work the same way?
Yes. I have a 5D3 and 40D. on the 40D you would push in on the joystick and that would center the point from whereever it was. The 5D3 does this too but has the added benefit of having another push put it back to where it was.

darash

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »
50D here too, what a jump, eh?

I'm coming from 500D thats a huge jump! I was really in trouble to focus a rabbit yesterday in AI-Servo. I've got to play this whole weekend.

It's normal that the images looks soft in the cam-preview? I thought my 24-105 oder 70/200 4 is out of focus...

I jump from a 500D too. Did you compare samples from both camera? I feel that the images were shaper with my old 500D... or could i be reading too much forums in CR??? lol...
5D3

fraxs

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »
I feel that the images were shaper with my old 500D... or could i be reading too much forums in CR??? lol...

Darash: Oh i think now it's really sharp. No sharpening in post-processing on this image! EF 70-200 F4 at Iso 800 1/160. 
 ;)

I think the main problem was the person behind the cam  :-[

suburbia

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
Its the feature that brings the camera as close as possible to the eye controlled focus of the beloved EOS 3!

I just wish it would scroll smoothly and quickly through the focus points if holding the joystick in a direction rather than having to tap it for each focus point jump.

3scapePhotos

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 12:09:51 PM »
Thanks for the tip.. I saw it in the manual, but didn't set it because I wasn't sure if I wanted to see all the focus points in my frame all the time.  So, question is, what are all your VF settings?  Focus points all on, all off, or some variation?

btw... I'm coming from a 40D, and wow.. what a great camera. All those complaining about AF should really RTFM.

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »
While we're on the topic, what are some other highly useful tweaks and tips that are assumed knowledge? I think we'll be surprised to see how many people were otherwise unaware.

Does anyone know if we can do 1-step control over AF Area Selection Mode (vs. 2-step control on p. 73)?  I want to have a quick way to switch between One-Shot AF (coupled with Single-Point AF) AI Servo AF (associated with AF Point Expansion).  With a configured DOF button to toggle (technically not toggling since holding down is AI Servo while releasing is One-Shot) between One-Shot and AI Servo, I want to do similar 1-step toggle between Single-Point AF and AF Point Expansion (or other AF Area modes that are beneficial to AI Servo).  Is it possible?  Does anyone have other alternatives?

I expect most of us are already well aware of this, but if you aren't, try setting the AF-on button to AF-start and decoupling AF-start from the shutter half press (switch the half-press from AF + metering start to just metering start) - this arrangement is one of the major advantages of the mid and high-end bodies over the Rebels and gives you a great deal more control over AF in use.

I am going to try this to see if it's easier to do AE-Lock and Recompose/AF.  I'd imagine your described way is clicking AF-on button to AF first followed by recomposing/half-pressing-shutter to meter, right?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:20:04 PM by waving_odd »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »