September 02, 2014, 03:26:59 AM

Author Topic: 600EX-RT  (Read 5371 times)

chrysek

600EX-RT
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »
I just received my 600EX-RT and I love it... I seriously love the design, I love this new mount, so easy to put it on and off the camera, and they include 2 jells with it, plus the bag is great, can mount it to my strap, I simply love this new 600EX-RT.... :)

canon rumors FORUM

600EX-RT
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 600EX-RT
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »
Glad to hear it. I'm hoping to get one soon. Did you have a flash before, and does this one compare?

chrysek

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:03:15 PM »
Glad to hear it. I'm hoping to get one soon. Did you have a flash before, and does this one compare?

Well I had old 580 model that lasted me like 3 or 4 years, it was great, although this one suppose to be the same power it just feels so much nicer... it feels so much more solid, it suppose to be water resistant similar to 5D mark iii and 1DX, its certainly very well built. I love how it recycles and how quickly I can shoot, it has tons of features, it has dedicated gel holder & gel sensor, it even comes with two gels :), cool bag for gels and for light itself, you can mount it to your camera strap :) i just really do like it flash :)

Somnipotent

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 12:32:57 AM »
got mine earlier last week... love it too!  gonna get a couple more and the transmitter for a master.

chrysek

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 05:23:41 AM »
got mine earlier last week... love it too!  gonna get a couple more and the transmitter for a master.

I wonder if that transmitter could be used to fire strobes, like pocket wizard or other, if getting two and connecting one to strobe and the one to camera could somehow trigger it.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 05:55:44 AM »
serious envy from me....

Mike Miami

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »

I wonder if that transmitter could be used to fire strobes, like pocket wizard or other, if getting two and connecting one to strobe and the one to camera could somehow trigger it.

I hope that Canon or a 3rd party develop some sort of device to fire studio strobes with this new unit.  If so, it could be the dream setup for many photog's.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »

I hope that Canon or a 3rd party develop some sort of device to fire studio strobes with this new unit.  If so, it could be the dream setup for many photog's.

If they do introduce a new high MP camera this year for studio work, I'm betting it'll have the transmitter built in and have a receiver that can trigger strobes.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 12:33:20 PM »
I'm betting the receiver is ready for production right now, but Canon will hold it back until sales of the 600EX-RT slow down.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mike_s_one

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 12:49:45 AM »
Hey guys!

There is not all that much info out there on the new flash/trigger combination yet so I thought I'd post a link to a first impressions video from photographer Dan Carr. He gives some interisting thought about the two way radio signal not being used to full potential.

Here you go:

Initial Thoughts on Canon's New 600EX RT Flash & ST-E3 Radio Transmitter

Michael

muldereric

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
If I am not mistaking the EOS 5D3 has an integrated wireless module to trigger remote 600EX-RT flashes.
Can anyone confirm this and is there someone who has tested this functionality?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
If I am not mistaking the EOS 5D3 has an integrated wireless module to trigger remote 600EX-RT flashes.

Sorry, but you are mistaken - the 5DIII does not have the ability to directly trigger flashes wirelessly.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

muldereric

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »

Sorry, but you are mistaken - the 5DIII does not have the ability to directly trigger flashes wirelessly.
Ok lol, seriously thought it had :)
I read on this forum that some people report incompatibility for some wireless trigger systems. When I am a bit more experienced I would like to buy myself a brand new flash unit and a RF remote trigger system. At first I was thinking about the 580EX II, but on the other hand why take an older model is a newer more ruggedized and better model is available in the form of the 600EX-RT!
Does anyone have compatibility experience with a 5D3 and the 600EX-RT flash using a remote RF trigger system? I know there are lots of brands who sell these systems, but I would like to buy a systems that works well with the 5d3 and 600ex and fits within my limited budget :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
Hey guys!

There is not all that much info out there on the new flash/trigger combination yet so I thought I'd post a link to a first impressions video from photographer Dan Carr. He gives some interisting thought about the two way radio signal not being used to full potential.

Here you go:

Initial Thoughts on Canon's New 600EX RT Flash & ST-E3 Radio Transmitter

Michael

Good post. I don't think his detractions are all that big. This flash is a big jump forward, and in any R&D development you have to draw the line and cut possible features out, it seems to me that Canon really gave us a lot (I work in similar kind of development)

• Remote flashes don't comunicate gels back to the master. I don't see this as a big deal, you really should be using a grey card or other for WB regardless and not hope that you can get it right with a generic settings
  • Remote control of zooming. Sure this would be cool, but on the other hand that's a physical change, like putting a modifier on the flash which means you have to physically be at the flash. Like I said they had to draw the line somewhere and I bet that this particular feature just got dropped off, and may be implemented in a future flash, meanwhile setting zoom on the unit isn't a biggie.
  • He likes setting the flash from the camera back, which I don't have on my 5DMKII, but it doesn't bother me a bit. I prefer using the dedicated, really nice LCD on the back of the flash instead of digging down into my camera menus which is slower
  • I agree Canon should have provided more gels

mike_s_one

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 08:17:46 AM »
I agree on your points, but since the camera sets white balance accordingly when the flash is used with gels on camera I feel it would have been nice if the flash reported the info wirelesly to the camera/transmitter as well. Might be a possible add on via firmware later on.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 08:17:46 AM »