July 28, 2014, 12:28:48 AM

Author Topic: Battery problems... How long does your 5D Mark III battery last?  (Read 16257 times)

jessicaellenc

The battery on my brand new Mark III seems to die very quickly. I've only taken 11 pictures with it, kept it on for less than 8 minutes, and the battery went from 100% to 89%. I just just charged it less than 2 hours ago..

I have to charge the battery very frequently as it will not last more than an hour or two of shooting.

I've tried looking it up and asking around and nobody seems to have any issues with their Mark III's battery life.

What are your thoughts?

canon rumors FORUM

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Battery problems... How long does your 5D Mark III battery last?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:03:24 PM »
That ain't right.

Do you have a 7D or 5Dmk2 around that you can test with? (ie, new battery in old camera and old battery in new camera) Then you can at least figure out if it's the camera or battery at fault.
If not, try going back to the shop and asking them...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »
I can get 700+ shots before I'm under 10% on my battery, and I'm still playing in the menus a lot as it's a new camera.  The shot total per charge and percent is shown in the battery info in the menu. 
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:10:01 PM »
Also, that includes a little video shooting, but nothing big.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

JerryKnight

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:12:02 PM »
I think it's a combination of things.

You can't measure a camera's battery life purely in hours or number of shots. It's a mixture of the two, as well as how long your LCD screen has been on and at what brightness, etc.

Also, there is no way to reliably check a battery's capacity, only it's voltage. The two are usually related, but there are other factors like heat that can affect the capacity estimate. That's why Canon only gives you a few "ticks" on the external battery meter. If you saw it go from 100% to 89% right away, it would concern you. But seeing it go from 5 ticks to 4 wouldn't as much..

Or, you could have a faulty battery.. What does the "recharge performance" say for that battery?

prestonpalmer

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:15:04 PM »
The only way you will know is to shoot till its dead. See how many shots you get. You should be able to shoot all day on one batter for stills. For video. Go buy 5 more batteries

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »
The only way you will know is to shoot till its dead. See how many shots you get. You should be able to shoot all day on one batter for stills. For video. Go buy 5 more batteries

For video with an IS lens, make that 5 a 7.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »

tasteofjace

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 11:10:34 PM »
Mine lasts longer than any other battery i've ever used.

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 11:23:06 PM »
You might consider charging it up fully and then recording video until it dies (note settings & if you use IS or not). That will give us a baseline we can use to compare to our cameras.

But as others are saying, battery life seems very good. My wife shot about 4 or 5 hours and around 1500 raw photos on a single battery with power to spare. She recharged and did it again the next day. That was with a 70-200 IS lens.

It is possible you have a bad battery or a short in the camera.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 11:44:03 PM »
Are you using live view or taking video?  That eats up batteries quickly. 

If you are just taking stills, you should get 700-1000 shots and more from a single charge as long as you are not in live view while taking them.

I leave my camera on all the time, it does shut down automatically.  I see that after 136 shots, I have 72% of the battery left, but I have used live view a lot while doing AFMA and tethered to my pc with auto shutoff disabled, and that uses the battery pretty rapidly. Its actually holding up very well.

Don't recharge the battery every time it drops a few percent, take a few hundred shots and see what it reads.

prestonpalmer

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 05:08:36 AM »
What the batter indicator reads is totally inaccurate. Go shoot all day (without video) and without chomping through tons of photos. If you get less than 700 shots you might have a bad battery. I am a wedding photographer and shoot 1000 to 1300 images Per battery per day. I switch them when the battery light blinks. It is NOT good to run a battery COMPLETLY dry... that's what damages them. Also, let them cool off for a few hrs before putting them back on charge. Even my 3yr old 5d2 batteries perform excellent. And they have had TONS of charge cycles. I would be willing to bet nothing is wrong with your battery, or camera.

stilscream

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 05:34:10 AM »
If this is an old battery, it may have worn out. Batteries only last a certain number of charges, so charging after you use it for 5 minutes each day would be wasteful. Never charge them longer than necessary, because excessive charging can damage the battery. ie don't leave it on the charger overnight if it's full after 40 minutes. This applies to all Li-ion batteries. Cellphones can be damaged by the swelling caused by ritual over night charges. I've never heard of Li-ion batteries damaged by running it until they were empty, I've heard the opposite, in fact, that it was better to do that so that you are not charging it as often. This advice comes from Radio shack vet of 20+ years of expeience, not myself.
7d, 5d mk iii, 1d4, 1dx, 35mm f1.4L, 70-200mm IS ii USM, 300mm f4 IS USM, 600mm f4l is USM, 400mm f2.8l is usm, 14mm tamron f2.8, 17-40mm f4L, 24-70 f2.8L USM, 85f1.2L USM, 100mm f2.8 macro

jessicaellenc

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »
Thanks everyone!
After wearing it out and seeing that the battery lasted me approximately 2 and a half hours of shooting and about 350 pictures, I have decided to call the manufacturer and see if I can get it exchanged or replaced. I know the Mark III's battery can do much better than that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »
Thanks everyone!
After wearing it out and seeing that the battery lasted me approximately 2 and a half hours of shooting and about 350 pictures, I have decided to call the manufacturer and see if I can get it exchanged or replaced. I know the Mark III's battery can do much better than that.

Strange as it may seem, Canon does not warranty the battery.  Its also likely a camera issue, many have had similar problems with Canon DSLR's not properly going into sleep mode. 

You may have to return the camera for exchange.  Do it quickly before your return rights expire.

ew20

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »
I charged to full when I got the camera, and have taken about 250 stills and 20 minutes of video.  I'm about 40%, and that's with a lot of LCD time.  Pretty impressive.  Way better than a 5DII so far.

I have been using IPB though, I would imagine All-I would put a greater strain on the battery if the camera is processing more.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »