September 17, 2014, 06:04:40 PM

Author Topic: Compare 5D2 vs 5D3 vs 7D dark noise shots, 100% crops online w +4 EV shadow push  (Read 7806 times)

Alker

Some more real world images review........

Canon 5D MK III vs Nikon D800 with Nathan Elson

canon rumors FORUM

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Nice test, but I prefer some real world examples.

These Lens Cap + 4 images ...well what does it say ?

Like the topic intro, this is just a teaser.
Real world examples will be prepped and uploaded later.
Thanks to my 7D, i have a few to choose from.

what these images tell you can be quite useful if you have to push any of your raw files to recover dark area/shadow data.

I wish I had this kind of info 2 years ago! it would have saved me hundreds of shots with my 7D that I now can't use the way I want because I can't get the quality level I demand. I would have known to use a different body for those shots.

if you shoot for a living or are trying to get a once-in-a-lifetime shot (frankly, they're ALL 1/lifetime shots) then this could save your bacon.

japhoto

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Japhoto blog
Thanks for the comparison. It clearly shows my main gripe with the 7D: Lots of shadow noise even at ISO 100. It's almost impossible to get something useful out of the darker areas of an image because of all the noise. From my experience, this wasn't as much of a problem with older Canon APS-C Sensors.

That's what ground my work to a halt, all the gross banding in 100, 200 and 400 ISO on the 7D.
I'll be putting up more pages with more comparisons, including 40/50/60/450/1000D bodies, none of which have the 8 pixel wide stripes seen on the 7D, likely from the  dual-channel sensor readout electronics mismatch.

Don't know what causes this, but it's annoying as f***!

The exposure doesn't even have to be "way off", but a little push to bring up the shadows and there it is. The noise itself isn't that bad (not good either), but the banding is an issue for sure.

I'm probably going to move forward (or timewise backwards) and try to find a 1Ds MkII and a 1D MkIII for faster stuff. I live between ISO 100-800 and most of the time 100-400, so I'd like those values to be clean.

Alker

Thanks for the comparison. It clearly shows my main gripe with the 7D: Lots of shadow noise even at ISO 100. It's almost impossible to get something useful out of the darker areas of an image because of all the noise. From my experience, this wasn't as much of a problem with older Canon APS-C Sensors.

That's what ground my work to a halt, all the gross banding in 100, 200 and 400 ISO on the 7D.
I'll be putting up more pages with more comparisons, including 40/50/60/450/1000D bodies, none of which have the 8 pixel wide stripes seen on the 7D, likely from the  dual-channel sensor readout electronics mismatch.

The exposure doesn't even have to be "way off", but a little push to bring up the shadows and there it is. The noise itself isn't that bad (not good either), but the banding is an issue for sure.

I'm probably going to move forward (or timewise backwards) and try to find a 1Ds MkII and a 1D MkIII for faster stuff. I live between ISO 100-800 and most of the time 100-400, so I'd like those values to be clean.

Just to be sure.
The 5D mark III is not giving you clean images at ISO (100-400)
Have you tried it ?
Or will these test images tell you enough ?

japhoto

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Japhoto blog

Just to be sure.
The 5D mark III is not giving you clean images at ISO (100-400)
Have you tried it ?
Or will these test images tell you enough ?

Hey Alker,

No, not talking about the 5D MkIII here. I actually thought that they weren't available here yet, but apparently they have started shipping to customers here in Finland. With a hefty price tag attached to them though (3799€).

The 5DIII is the first 5D camera I could be interested in, but at the moment it's out of my reach at that price. That said, even the 5Dc and 5DII are probably quite good between ISO 100-400.

The thing these test images (actually looked pretty much only the 7D results) "prove" is what I've known all along (poor low ISO performance) and yes, I've done a similar test with my own 7D as well. Also you don't need a test to figure this one out. Just a high contrast scene is enough where you have to underexpose a tad to preserve the highlights and then try bringing the shadows back in post. Not pretty.

I also forgot to add that if the Nikon 5100 results are right and the camera doesn't do aggressive noise reduction in-body, I'm one impressed Canon shooter...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:21:33 PM by japhoto »

Alker

@japhoto.

Oke thanks for your reply.

Strange how all the prices in other countries are so different.
Here in the Netherlands the 5D mark III is 3499 euro.

The 5D Mark II will cost you 1700 euro.

japhoto

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Japhoto blog
@japhoto.

Oke thanks for your reply.

Strange how all the prices in other countries are so different.
Here in the Netherlands the 5D mark III is 3499 euro.

The 5D Mark II will cost you 1700 euro.

I'm not surprised at all that Finnish customers have to pay a premium. Feels like that with pretty much everything around here :)

The 5D MkII is 1799€ body only at that same store, so not that much different, but I think they are the first ones to carry the MkIII, so they are riding that and making a better profit with the first wave of eager customers.

As an addition I found interesting that the biggest online store values the 5DIII at 3299€ and the Nikon D800 and D800E at 2699,90€. No price difference between the Nikons and a good price with the 5DIII, but I don't think they are going to ship them out any time soon though...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:29:27 PM by japhoto »

canon rumors FORUM