November 29, 2014, 04:48:15 AM

Author Topic: Compare 5D2 vs 5D3 vs 7D dark noise shots, 100% crops online w +4 EV shadow push  (Read 8128 times)

madmailman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

A complete n00b here (<- First post ->) but I took a quick look at the link (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkiii/12 posted above. As I am currently a 7D shooter I changed on of the cameras to the 7D, crancked up the iso to 3200 on the 7D, D800 and Sony A900. Then moved the wee square onto a black portion of the image so all the samples showed some shadow noise. Please could somebody else try this and tell me if I need new glasses or not. I don't want to post what I see until somebody else does so I can't be accused of missleading somebody with my observations.

Thanks
MMM
5D3, 16-35mm f2.8mkii 24-105mm f4, 50mm f1.4, 40mm STM, 70-200 f2.8mkii

canon rumors FORUM

straub

No, it's not.  It's just that the completely random noise in both shots happens to match up perfectly.  It's like that one monkey with a typewriter among an infinite number of them that just happens to bang out the complete works of Shakespeare.   :P

Actually it is, they're both "7Diso3200c.jpg", there is no "5d3iso3200c.jpg"  :-)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
No, it's not.  It's just that the completely random noise in both shots happens to match up perfectly.  It's like that one monkey with a typewriter among an infinite number of them that just happens to bang out the complete works of Shakespeare.   :P

Actually it is, they're both "7Diso3200c.jpg", there is no "5d3iso3200c.jpg"  :-)

Silly me, did I forget the <sarcasm> tags?   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

straub

Yes, you did.

nitsujwalker

I believe the 5DIII 3200 ISO shot is the same as the 7D.

Well spotted, BTW.  And if a completely accidental error happens to make the 5DIII look worse, oh well.

hahaha.  That freaked me out.. The 5diii was looking pretty good then WHAM ISO 3200.  Then I glanced at the 7D and it is the same.  Oops.

ew20

No offense, but a camera company could make a sensor that would win this test quite handily, and suck when it comes to real-life shooting. 

Under real conditions, the noise performance of the 5D3 has surpassed the other two bodies, AINEC.  I'm getting images at 12,800 that aren't just usable, but good.  I guess it's fun to test the limits of equipment, but tests like these should in no way impact whether you buy this camera or not, unless your work requires routinely pushing your exposures ridiculous amounts in post.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Thanks for the comparison. It clearly shows my main gripe with the 7D: Lots of shadow noise even at ISO 100. It's almost impossible to get something useful out of the darker areas of an image because of all the noise. From my experience, this wasn't as much of a problem with older Canon APS-C Sensors.

That's what ground my work to a halt, all the gross banding in 100, 200 and 400 ISO on the 7D.
I'll be putting up more pages with more comparisons, including 40/50/60/450/1000D bodies, none of which have the 8 pixel wide stripes seen on the 7D, likely from the  dual-channel sensor readout electronics mismatch.

canon rumors FORUM

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
That's a really interesting test. Is there any reason to shoot with a lens attached? Why not with just the body cap on? Also, in ACR, did you zero the brightness and contrast sliders or did you leave them at the default 50/20?

I left the lens caps on so as not to bother swapping lenses on other people's cameras and risk adding dust to their sensors (another gripe for another time :) ).

Yes, thanks for confirming; ACR brightness and contrast were left at default 50/20 or 50/25, whichever it is, i can't remember and I'm not in my studio to check for another 8 hours.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Hi Aglet, it'd be great if you took crops of an area corresponding 5% of the image to get relative noise performance of the whole sensor, not on pixel level. Of course if you didn't do that in your test :)

I've got something like it coming on per-camera sample pages later, I hope you'll find it useful.

Same files used for the noise crops are scaled 1/8 linearly so you can get an overall noise map of sorts.
some cameras generate a lot of plaid and one 5D2 was rather uneven.

briansquibb

Why use ACR when you have the RAW converter from Canon that is able to do justice to the RAW files?

sach100

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile

Well Spotted sir..
5D MkIII

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Somewhat related so I'm not starting a new thread.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkiii/12

I can't save it in the link but I switched the Sony in the lower right to the canon 7D.  That makes it a comparison between the D800 - 5DIII, 5DIII and 7D (all for RAW shooting).

I gotta be honest, as far as this DPReview test alone goes, I can't see any real-world difference between any of the cameras.  There is nothing about any of the minute differences at the same settings (doesn't really matter which settings either) and for real world usage they all seem nearly the same.

for the most part they ARE very close and very impressive overall.
Previously I posted a topic that describes where to look to see shadow noise of these cameras without having to push any shadows at all.

www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=5101.msg99797#msg99797

This is pixel-level noise you won't see in small prints and even in larger prints at effective 75ppi it'd still be difficult to notice unless the noise shows a pattern and is on a large smooth-tone area of image with no other subject texture to hide it.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I appreciate the the test an the effort. I believe the 5DIII 3200 ISO shot is the same as the 7D.

It tripped me out a little. I couldn't figure out why 3200 was so bad on the 5DIII the I looked at the 7D.

DOH!  Nice catch. Thank-you. I'll fix that tonite.
I was trying hard not to make a mistake while exhausted and with a head cold ( X-6 )but I guess it still crept in there.
If you want to find the correct file before then it is

http://a2bart.com/techimg/dknz/5d3iso3200c.jpg

all individual files at this time still include EXIF data

canon rumors FORUM

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Why use ACR when you have the RAW converter from Canon that is able to do justice to the RAW files?

I like and use DPP for much of my work, it's a great and underrated bit of software.
I don't have the version that supports the 5D3 yet and I also wanted to level the field as much as possible by using the same workflow with other brands like Nikon, Panasonic, Pentax, Sony, etc.

Alker

Nice test, but I prefer some real world examples.

These Lens Cap + 4 images ...well what does it say ?

canon rumors FORUM