July 23, 2014, 08:47:56 PM

Author Topic: Land of Crazy not so Crazy? [CR1.5]  (Read 16900 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Land of Crazy not so Crazy? [CR1.5]
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »

Maybe not so crazy

I posted the craziest rumor of the week on Sunday, it didn’t seem at all plausible to me.

One person in particular wrote in saying it may not be that far off. Such a camera was apparently discussed with him/her before Christmas.

Spec List!

• - New small body FF

• - Pro AF (45 point same as Eos 1D MKIV)

• - 16.7 MP

• - 6 FPS (booster with extra batterygrip up to 9fps)

• - ISO 100-12800 (L50 / H102400)

• - Single CF slot

• - Video as Eos 7D

• - Msrp $ 4,399

What I was told was the MSRP was way off, the rest of it was relatively on the mark. A CP+ announcement was unknown, as the source was told it would be announced at the end of February.

5D Mark III / 1Ds Mark IV

As most people know, the 5D Mark II completely killed the 1Ds Mark III sales numbers. The same source explains that Canon will move the 5D Mark III into the territory of flagship resolution camera and the 1D Mark IV/V will be the flagship “pro” body. The 1Ds Mark IV will be something completely different, yes, another person saying it.

CR’s Take

The whole Canon DSLR lineup is due for a big shake up, all of this info points to that. I’m not going to commit to all of this being true, but there’s an awful lot of people saying the same thing.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Land of Crazy not so Crazy? [CR1.5]
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »

davidonformosa

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • David's photos at flickr
Re: Land of Crazy not so Crazy? [CR1.5]
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 08:14:58 PM »
In another thread c.d.embrey wrote:

How would you feel if the 5D MkIII turned out to be a FF 60D. The way Canon has been acting lately, it could happen.

Maybe this is the camera described. If so the price is likely to be somewhere around $2,000.

Keith

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 08:25:57 PM »
Well I would be glad to see Canon re-structure their FF camera lines.  I am an amateur enthusiast, but I'd really like the option of a FF body for $1500-1800 (street price).  The specs listed here look like they would fit my needs without blowing my budget.  With a FF body and limited to 16MP, I hope it will have great low-light performance.

If they start tailoring the 5D series for ultra-megapixel performance, I wonder if this will raise its price.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »
I really would NOT like a new FF camera with only 16 MP.  there's no reason that canon can't get better performance out of 28 MP today in 2011 than they could out of 21 MP back in 2008.  as a generalist, I like being able to crop down if I want to since I'm not in the market for a 1D Mark IV, and I don't feel like I should be forced to buy a 7D just for wildlife/sports.

I also don't want something with crap build quality just so we can get it cheap.  if the 5DIII were to be built like a rebel, I probably wouldn't buy it.  just save my money for glass and then go to whatever the 1D series cam is once my 5DII dies eventually.  I've seen cameras hit the floor and survive, and I've seen cameras hit the floor and die.  I've seen a T2i croak after being exposed to hard spray.  build quality matters.

also, what does "video as 7D" mean?  why not "video as current 5DII firmware"?  how/why would a FF camera shoot video like a crop camera?  if anything, 7D video is weaker than 5DII video as you do not have manual audio gain available, which better be an available feature in the next 5D cam released

so I am firmly thinking/hoping this rumor is total bunk.  I want that 5DIII with 28 MP and 19-point AF that was rumored previously

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:38:54 PM »
16.7 MP ???

Nah. This could have been believable in the summer of 2008. Not in 2011, though.
CR, this 'source' is not reliable (:grin:).

Expect the 5DIII to have the same 30mp (FF) sensor as the 1DV. Price going up too.
The 7DII will be the entry level pro camera for those who don't like the 5DIII price.

Isurus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 11:37:34 PM »
I agree; I've seen this "wish list" a thousand times.  Nothing but someone wanting a D700 that says "Canon" on it.

I honestly don't want to see lower megapixels in the next 5D.  Why go backwards?  There is no reason technology shouldn't allow for improvements in other areas while at least keeping the MPs constant, if not increasing.

16.7 MP ???

Nah. This could have been believable in the summer of 2008. Not in 2011, though.
CR, this 'source' is not reliable (:grin:).

Expect the 5DIII to have the same 30mp (FF) sensor as the 1DV. Price going up too.
The 7DII will be the entry level pro camera for those who don't like the 5DIII price.

blacksheep21

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 12:04:58 AM »
FF in a rebel body? other than the MSRP, the specs on this thing is fantastic. If you want a good build with a metallic body and extras, the upper ranges like the single digit cameras are available for you. I just want a light FF body, everything else is immaterial, it lets amatuers finally get full use off their EF lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 12:04:58 AM »

Keith

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 01:51:53 AM »
I've seen cameras hit the floor and survive, and I've seen cameras hit the floor and die.  I've seen a T2i croak after being exposed to hard spray.  build quality matters.

I think the Rebels can hold up better than you do: http://www.digitalrev.com/en/nikon-d90-vs-canon-550d-destruction-test-6481-article

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 04:58:55 AM »
The sensor does not seem to ring true, only just above the k5 resolution.
the ISO 128000 max with a jump to 1million in H mode - a 3 stop jump?
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

JLN

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 06:38:58 AM »
The sensor does not seem to ring true, only just above the k5 resolution.
the ISO 128000 max with a jump to 1million in H mode - a 3 stop jump?

thats 102k not 1mil, 12800, h1 = 25600, h2 = 512000, h3 = 102400.

As for the rumor, ugh please no. The current 5d is fine in terms of size and ergonomics.

Bob Howland

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 07:05:25 AM »
I'm expecting this new model to be a video camera that happens to take very nice still images in ridiculously low light levels. For those who think that 16.7MP isn't enough, the Red Epic $58,000 movie camera only has 14MP in a very oblong APS-H-size sensor, but does 5K raw video and claims 13.5 stops of DR. One of the big complaints about the 5DMk2 and 7D as movie cameras is the absence of raw video output. I would expect this to change.

The 5DMk3 will be the high resolution still camera that also takes video.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:20:21 AM by Bob Howland »

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 07:06:56 AM »
If these specs are true, the big question...is...this a 5DIII or something different.
I find it bizarre that Canon can moan that the 5DII stole 1DsIII sales when they are about to release a camera that will totally rip into the current 1DIV....unless they are about to bring out a 1DV?

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 08:34:11 AM »
Improve the video, AF, and high ISO noise
Add AF in Video, swivel screen, rack focus, peaking and false color
Improve AWB too

The rest is gravy:

MP can be anywhere from 16 - 28. I prefer staying around 21, files are getting pretty big
Pixel binning awesomeness: include 3 levels 9:1, 4:1, 1:1 for useable digital zoom as well as max high ISO and minimized moire.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 08:34:11 AM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 08:39:01 AM »
I've seen cameras hit the floor and survive, and I've seen cameras hit the floor and die.  I've seen a T2i croak after being exposed to hard spray.  build quality matters.

I think the Rebels can hold up better than you do: http://www.digitalrev.com/en/nikon-d90-vs-canon-550d-destruction-test-6481-article

nothing against the digitalrev guys, as I enjoy their videos a lot, and I have seen that video before, but I'll believe what I've seen in my own experience.  I'm not the kind that babies my equipment, although I try to take good care of it, but if I'm next to a waterfall I need to know my camera isn't going to get waterlogged from spray.  I don't want a 50-50 chance -- that doesn't cut it. 

I've respected Canon build quality ever since I first bought a G9 and proceeded to drop it from standing height onto rough stone (accidentally, of course), and nothing happened except a minor surface scratch.  I'm 6'1, so that's a long way down.  but I have to say, if I were putting money on whether a G9 or a T2i were to survive a given situation ... I'd have my money on the G9.

I'm expecting this new model to be a video camera that happens to take very nice still images in ridiculously low light levels. For those who think that 16.7MP isn't enough, the Red Epic $58,000 movie camera only has 14MP in a very oblong APS-H-size sensor, but does 5K raw video and claims 13.5 stops of DR. One of the big complaints about the 5DMk2 and 7D as movie cameras is the absence of raw video output. I would expect this to change.

The 5DMk3 will be the high resolution still camera that also takes video.

the weird part about this is: when is Canon going to bring these kinds of sensors to their video lineup?  with Panasonic and Sony and Red all releasing full-featured video cams with large sensor, Canon's flaships still only run 1/3" sensors ... they're really starting to look weak against the competition, all of which is very fairly priced.  the new "professional" handycams look kind of sad against Sony's NXCAM system.  I think we'll need to see significant improvement here as well, otherwise the 5D series will end up killing off not only the 1DsIII but also Canon's video lineup.

Justin

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »
CR rating creep I see.

This would be a disappointing camera to studio and landscape shooters. It would be a boon to wedding photogs though. Nature shooters would welcome the extra depth of field at wide apertures, but would loose reach and without a nice big sensor from which to crop, would lose the power of crop in PP.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »