April 23, 2014, 06:32:13 AM

Author Topic: Confused! Upgrading my camera.....Advise Pleasssssssse  (Read 2802 times)

Rjsehm5

Confused! Upgrading my camera.....Advise Pleasssssssse
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:22:57 AM »
Sorry for long post...just want to make sure I am not leaving anything out.

Need advise:
I currently have a 40D and have worked casually with it for the last 5 years.  I would rate myself still a beginner since I have recently decided to shoot out of the "green box"

I love taking photos of my kids and my pets but I also love taking pics of my kids sports in this order.
1.Baseball 2.Football and 3.Cheer... (BB & FB are 95% daylight) Cheer can be indoor at times during comps)

I have recently upgraded a few lenses from my previous stash but they are so new I haven't really worked with them much yet.

I am in need of advise on a new camera.  I was currently looking at the 7D.  Would love the 5D lll but just can't justify for being so inexperienced at this time and not sure FF makes sense for my current needs.

Please advise on what would be the best equipment for my needs in your experience.  I struggle with my current set up minus my new lenses since I haven't worked with them much with indoor shots and night shots.

Here is what I currently have:
Canon 40D w/grip (would like to sell)
Canon 28-135 (kit lens) (Would like to sell)
Canon 70-300 IS (Would like to sell)
Canon flash 580EXll (haven't worked with this really)
I also have a tripod (haven't worked with this either)

Just purchased: (working on the "better glass" theory)
24-105 IS F4L (replacement for 28-135)
70-200 IS F2.8 (replacement for 70-300)

Would a 7D compliment my new lenses for my needs???  Not sure if there will be a replacement for the 7D or not but would rather work with what is currently available.  (Budget 2K...any more than that and my husband will leave me ;D ;D ;D :o Please advise...

Thanks so much in advance for your time....

canon rumors FORUM

Confused! Upgrading my camera.....Advise Pleasssssssse
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:22:57 AM »

briansquibb

Re: Confused! Upgrading my camera.....Advise Pleasssssssse
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »
Here is what I currently have:
Canon 40D w/grip (would like to sell)
Canon 28-135 (kit lens) (Would like to sell)
Canon 70-300 IS (Would like to sell)
Canon flash 580EXll (haven't worked with this really)
I also have a tripod (haven't worked with this either)

Just purchased: (working on the "better glass" theory)
24-105 IS F4L (replacement for 28-135)
70-200 IS F2.8 (replacement for 70-300)

Would a 7D compliment my new lenses for my needs???  Not sure if there will be a replacement for the 7D or not but would rather work with what is currently available.  (Budget 2K...any more than that and my husband will leave me ;D ;D ;D :o Please advise...

Thanks so much in advance for your time....

Sounds a good plan!

New lens look appropriate! I would keep the 70-300IS for the time being for the extra reach

Practice:

- use of flash, perhaps buying the Speedlighters book by Syl Arena
- use of Servo AF

And then do some more practice :D

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 01:31:47 PM »
Nothing wrong with the 40D, if you are using the green box, keep it and get better lenses.  The 17-55mm IS is excellent, and is the correct focal lenght for normal use.  However, since you have the 24-105mm L, you might get the 10-22mm EF-s wide zoom.

The 100mmL loves crop cameras for macro and close focusing use.

You also might consider a prime, like 28mm f/1.8 or 30mm f/2.  I would not recommend the f/1.4 lenses, since you do not have autofocus micro adjust to fine tune the autofocus as is usually needed for the really wide apertures.

Basically what you are getting with a 7D besides 18mp are some advanced options, better AF controls, autofocus micro adjust and, it sounds like most of the advanced things will go unused.

The 18mp will require you to use faster shutter speeds than you get with the green box for sharpest results, so images probably will not be much sharper.

briansquibb

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »
Nothing wrong with the 40D, if you are using the green box, keep it and get better lenses.  The 17-55mm IS is excellent, and is the correct focal lenght for normal use.  However, since you have the 24-105mm L, you might get the 10-22mm EF-s wide zoom.

The 100mmL loves crop cameras for macro and close focusing use.

You also might consider a prime, like 28mm f/1.8 or 30mm f/2.  I would not recommend the f/1.4 lenses, since you do not have autofocus micro adjust to fine tune the autofocus as is usually needed for the really wide apertures.

Basically what you are getting with a 7D besides 18mp are some advanced options, better AF controls, autofocus micro adjust and, it sounds like most of the advanced things will go unused.

The 18mp will require you to use faster shutter speeds than you get with the green box for sharpest results, so images probably will not be much sharper.

I would suggest P might be more appropriate in which case the OP sporting objectives would be better served with the 7D AF than the 40D. Now sure you would want a wa or a 100 for sports shooting either. I thing the 24-105 and 70-200 f/2.8 are the ideal starting point - remember the budget limitations

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »
You should keep the 24-105, 70-200, 580 flash, and 40d; then buy a 27" iMac with a 2tb drive and shoot like mad.  I find most people have cheap $99 monitors to view their photos.  An iMac is a great and easy to buy system, there are better monitors out there for lots of monies, but the iMac package is hard to beat.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:46:35 PM by Daniel Flather »
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
You're shooting in RAW and converting in DPP, right?

| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

briansquibb

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:13:10 PM »
You should keep the 24-105, 70-200, 580 flash, and 40d; then buy a 27" iMac with a 2tb drive and shoot like mad.  I find most people have cheap $99 monitors to view their photos.  An iMac is a great and easy to buy system, there are better monitors out there for lots of monies, but the iMac package is hard to beat.

Good idea - but I would suggest better AF will be needed for the sporting requirements. Not everyone wants to move from Windows to Mac.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:13:10 PM »

Rjsehm5

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »

Good idea - but I would suggest better AF will be needed for the sporting requirements. Not everyone wants to move from Windows to Mac.

Yes, I have an iMac already and I also have a MacBook Pro.  Apple lover here:)

I did want to get a camera with a better AF that will compliment my new lens but I don't want to solely purchase based on sports as I also love portraits and candid shots of kids and the pups.  I considered the Mark lll due to better IQ but hence the confusion.  While who doesn't love the best of the best....I am trying to stay as grounded as possible and meet my current needs and current level of knowledge for photography.

With my limited knowledge and hours and hours of searching I think the 7D may make more sense but by all means I would not shut out the Mark lll if it would compliment my needs and be a better choice. 

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »

[/quote]
Yes, I have an iMac already and I also have a MacBook Pro.  Apple lover here:)

I did want to get a camera with a better AF that will compliment my new lens but I don't want to solely purchase based on sports as I also love portraits and candid shots of kids and the pups.  I considered the Mark lll due to better IQ but hence the confusion.  While who doesn't love the best of the best....I am trying to stay as grounded as possible and meet my current needs and current level of knowledge for photography.

With my limited knowledge and hours and hours of searching I think the 7D may make more sense but by all means I would not shut out the Mark lll if it would compliment my needs and be a better choice.
[/quote]

Beware if you step out of crop frame into full frame, you instantly lose a ton of free telephoto.  Your 70-200mm may suddenly feel a little stubby when you are trying to shoot baseball and football.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »
Honestly, I'd stick with what you have. For 40D is such a good camera and you have great lenses to go on it. If you were to get the 7D you get a AF advantage, ISO advantage and a slight FPS advantage. Now those sound like a lot of good points but consider that the 7D is coming up on replacement time (it's 2.5 years old now).

Personally, I shoot with it as my primary camera, I love it and I'm very happy with it. But given that the 40D is a fantastic camera and there could possibly be a 7DII soon I would hold off and keep buying some more great lenses.

Of course that is in theory. With so many DSLRs coming out this year I'd wait and see what was coming.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

twdi

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »
Honestly, I'd stick with what you have. For 40D is such a good camera and you have great lenses to go on it.

I (still) have a 30D and am into the same. Would you also advise to keep the 30D?

sweetcancer

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 03:33:58 PM »

I am in need of advise on a new camera.  I was currently looking at the 7D.  Would love the 5D lll but just can't justify for being so inexperienced at this time and not sure FF makes sense for my current needs.

A full frame always makes sense, and it would love the lenses you already have (particularly the 24-105L and the 70-200 - you could take amazing portraits with great bokeh!)

If i were you, i'd probably get a 5D mark II (new or used), since 5D3 is expensive and you by your own words are still a beginner. 5D2 has a basic set of good tools to any photographer, and isn't overwhelming even to those just stepping out of the green box.

Then again, the 5D3 would be much better for those sports you mentioned, since it has the far superior AF. (or so i would assume - never actually used a 5D3) (though 5D2 would also mostly do the job just fine.)

Oh, and i would also keep the 40D as backup and probably later upgrade it to 7Dmk2 - crop (extra reach) and af of both 40D and the 7D are advantages when shooting sports compared to 5D2. If i went with the 5D3, i would sell the 40D and just lose the crop factor advantage.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:38:50 PM by sweetcancer »

te4o

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »
Rjsehm, keep the 40D until fit for FF! Buy only lenses good for FF, primes preferably eg 85/1.8, 135/2. Learn PP your RAWs from the 40D. Get your shooting techniques as Mt Sp. said. Buy a Speedlite, use it, buy a MacPro secone hand or smth where you can put additional drives on. Buy software for PP, eg LR, NIK, topaz or similar.
Go fast. When you feel you need another DSLR take a FF like 5DMk2 or 3 if already cheaper.
My personal experience... A 7D is stil only APS-C...
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 04:12:12 PM »

Yes but for his uses, APS-C is probably a better option.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

briansquibb

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »

Yes but for his uses, APS-C is probably a better option.

I agree - budget and existing lens  make that the obvious choice

The 7D is fine for portraits and needed for the children and animals as they dance around - as you have not indicated that you want to turn profession then the IQ is more than good enough.

I suggest you consider buying a used 7D, perhaps off craigs list(??) as has been said the 7D has been around for some time so there are plenty of good used samples around

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »