August 29, 2014, 10:11:06 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III / 6D from India  (Read 28185 times)

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
Re: 5D Mark III / 6D from India
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 08:40:20 AM »
touchscreen??? on a pro level dslr? no no no!

Phase One has touchscreen on their new IQ1xx medium format camera backs, and the backs are supposed to work in rough conditions. Not sure how well the touchscreen works though.

just because Phase One does it doesn't mean it's a good idea.  I shoot plenty of places that I'd really rather not take my gloves off.  touchscreens don't work through gloves (unless you get one of those with the metal contacts, but those are rarely insulative gloves).  bad idea.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 08:40:20 AM »

Justin

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 09:23:14 AM »
If I weren't so late to the conversation I would have offered that example. In any case, the touch screen they are sticking on the phase backs is palatial. 3.2 in. Massive resolution. I'd love something like that on a canon. I'd love it even more on a phase one, but my bank account wouldn't.

Phase One has touchscreen on their new IQ1xx medium format camera backs, and the backs are supposed to work in rough conditions. Not sure how well the touchscreen works though.

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 09:38:56 AM »

just because Phase One does it doesn't mean it's a good idea.  I shoot plenty of places that I'd really rather not take my gloves off.  touchscreens don't work through gloves (unless you get one of those with the metal contacts, but those are rarely insulative gloves).  bad idea.

Yeah, it just means that pro-level equipment already does it. The phase one backs can be operated both using the touch screen *and* using four large buttons. The glove-operated mode would be using the buttons. The touch screen is faster to work with when you want to zoom in a specific area of a picture for example, but you can do the same using the buttons (if I understood the description correctly, haven't tried them myself so I'm not 100% sure how the ui works).

I agree that a touchscreen-only interface is a bad idea (even if it would work with gloves, fingers get too thick with gloves on), but think that a combined version could be nice. Overall, I think the live view and histogram etc can be much improved. For tripod-mounted landscape / architecture shoots I use live view almost 100%, and needing to scroll around with buttons and zoom in to verify focus does feel a bit awkward. It seems like the latest medium format backs have come a bit farther in this respect.

Justin

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 09:40:52 AM »
So this wouldn't be the upgrade photographers were looking for. Canon needs to match the expectations that have been building during the relatively long product cycle. Recall that the leap from 5D -> 5D2 was significant, albeit carried over a similar AF system. Photographers are expecting a similar upgrade path from 5D2 -> 5D3.

28-32 mpx seems reasonable. AF upgrade is a must (rumored 19 point would suffice). 1 more frame per second a must (5 fps). Improved sealing a must. Built in flash controller a must. Double memory card slots a must. Higher resolution screen would certainly help with all the manual focusing we do through live view. If they make it tilt that's fine with me. I'm finally on board with the luminous-landscape guys, a mirror lockup button is desperately needed. $5k is a-ok. 

Why not, slightly bigger sensor and a touch screen then reusing proven technology from other areas of canon. seems to plug the gap for FF users who want AF/fps speed and an upgrade.
Can't see the 6D name though. apart from looking at the potential for a 600D, 60D, 6D lineup.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »

Yeah, it just means that pro-level equipment already does it. The phase one backs can be operated both using the touch screen *and* using four large buttons. The glove-operated mode would be using the buttons. The touch screen is faster to work with when you want to zoom in a specific area of a picture for example, but you can do the same using the buttons (if I understood the description correctly, haven't tried them myself so I'm not 100% sure how the ui works).

I agree that a touchscreen-only interface is a bad idea (even if it would work with gloves, fingers get too thick with gloves on), but think that a combined version could be nice. Overall, I think the live view and histogram etc can be much improved. For tripod-mounted landscape / architecture shoots I use live view almost 100%, and needing to scroll around with buttons and zoom in to verify focus does feel a bit awkward. It seems like the latest medium format backs have come a bit farther in this respect.

yeah, if you have the option of both I'd have no problem with it.  the only thing I'd say is, there has to be a button to disable the touch-screen mode.  I'd a left-eye dominant shooting so my nose is always against the touchscreen.  it would drive me nuts if that ended up altering settings

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 09:59:15 AM »
28-32 mpx seems reasonable. AF upgrade is a must (rumored 19 point would suffice). 1 more frame per second a must (5 fps). Improved sealing a must. Built in flash controller a must. Double memory card slots a must. Higher resolution screen would certainly help with all the manual focusing we do through live view. If they make it tilt that's fine with me. I'm finally on board with the luminous-landscape guys, a mirror lockup button is desperately needed. $5k is a-ok. 

Justin, you and I are looking for the same camera.  I think they could give us something like that for less than $5K, however.  $4000-4500 seems more reasonable

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
Touch Screen!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 11:19:36 AM »
I want a 4" Touch Screen! Little consumer cameras have them for $400 why can't a pro camera get one?
I want an iPhone like screen on my 1Ds IV!!! :o
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

canon rumors FORUM

Touch Screen!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 11:19:36 AM »

Flake

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 12:12:52 PM »
Mirror lock up button is not needed!  Most people use Live view which flips the mirror out of the way, and the zoom function allows critical focus (upto 10X).  If it's combined with the silent shooting it's the most effective way to reduce vibration.

For macro shooters getting the mirror up is a must, see the MP-e 65mm thread on lenses for the link to an article which shows just how much sharper the live view method actually is.

WarStreet

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 12:43:08 PM »
Justin, you and I are looking for the same camera.  I think they could give us something like that for less than $5K, however.  $4000-4500 seems more reasonable

This is what I want too, with 2/3 stop better noise and improved DR. I will go even a bit lower in price, it should be similar to 5DII launch. Otherwise it won't be a 5DII replacement if it is on a different price level, and if we check history trend, these specs are in line of what we should expect with the same price range. Maybe no dual slot memory. I really wish to be able to get better fps with the grip, I guess that is asking too much  :(
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:49:51 PM by WarStreet »

Justin

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 01:52:23 PM »
Well friend, two of us makes a market. Now we just need to get Canon to recognize us. And I like your negotiation skills. $4k is about perfect. ;)

DetlevCM

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 05:28:09 PM »
I can't imagine Canon killing the 5D name - as the first Full Frame DSLR (if I am not mistaken) it's a legendary name, that right now is worth retaining for it's own sake.

Maybe when DSLRs encounter some huge change in technology a new name might again become iconic - but as long as they are in the end "plain DSLRs" (and the basic ideas right now are the same as in the first 5D, just the Tech is newer and more capable) a change of name would be a large loss.

Flake

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »
Yep you're mistaken!  The first FF digital camera was the original 1Ds  The 5D was the first affordable FF and sold in huge numbers.

If Canon decide to move the camera up or down market in a big way they might well decide to change the name to differentiate the new camera.

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 06:13:46 PM »
A touch screen? Way to go consumer -.-

The last thing I need is a touch screen. Nothing I use for serious jobs would EVER have a touch screen, much less an articulated touch screen. Guess I have to save up for the 1ds again, if it indeed comes.

I know the monitors aren't 100% for assessing sharpness and what now, but why make it worse?

I call fail on this if it turns out to be true.

Well... that doesn't make it ok. Touch screen is all hype... don't go put your sweaty fingers on the screen where you once in a while will try to view if the setup is ok. Just doesn't make sense.
----------

www.legreve.com
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:16:38 PM by leGreve »
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 06:13:46 PM »

bhavikk

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 08:56:25 PM »
A touch screen? Way to go consumer -.-

Touch screen is all hype... don't go put your sweaty fingers on the screen where you once in a while will try to view if the setup is ok. Just doesn't make sense.

I have to agree, touch screen on a pro body would be terrible idea. I'm actually waiting for the 5D Mark III or equivalent to be released so that I can buy it. Touch screen + articulating screen would probably make me buy the 7D or save enough the next 1Ds or equivalent.

Also I don't want to be cleaning the screen every 2 minutes. Your nose and fingers will leave marks all over it.
Gear: A lot of gear made by Canon

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 09:36:21 PM »
The last thing I need is a touch screen.

I won't entirely dismiss a touch screen, but I do wonder how that would work. As it is, every time I look through the viewfinder I end up with smudges on the screen. I wonder how they'd prevent me from changing settings with my nose.  :)

Keep in mind too, that with phone touch screens, you have to have special gloves for the winter. Never say never, but I just have a hard time getting my head around the idea that this would be a good thing.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 09:36:21 PM »