October 23, 2014, 09:37:33 AM

Author Topic: Go small or go home (T4i)  (Read 12749 times)

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Go small or go home (T4i)
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:46:11 AM »
It's income tax refund time. If the 5D3 had come in $1K cheaper, I could have stretched for it, but with other places for a busy family to put its money- it ain't gonna happen this time around. So, to replace my Rebel XT I've decided to just get another Rebel for now.

Sure, I could buy a 60D, 7D or even a 5D2, but they're not the cameras I want, and- (let's be realistic) as a hobbyist with other interests- I can make do with a 650D. Maybe next year I can spin the Rebel down to one of my kids and get the camera I really want

With that decision essentially made- the question becomes- pull the trigger now on a T3i or wait for the upgrade? I'm getting conflicting information about a release date... the T3i rebates were extended, yet the literature for the new camera is apparently already out there.

Anybody have any good rumours, mysterious african safari pics, manuals on Amazon, leaked prototype photos? (Just doesn't have the same caché, does it?)   :P
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

Go small or go home (T4i)
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:46:11 AM »

garyploski

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Go small or go home (T4i)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:52:48 PM »
I feel your pain, wellfedCanuck.

I'm itching for any news on the T4i. The other day someone I work with told me that a CostCo he frequents informed him that their T3i stock was almost gone and that it wouldn't be resupplied. What that means exactly? Who knows.

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:55:36 AM »
Thanks, Gary. Three pages of messages from cool kids blathering on about their 5D3s, but nobody has any info for us poor cousins...   :P

briansquibb

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:01:33 AM »
I think the entry level bodies are the ones that will improve the most to distance themselves from the consumer stuff.

This is the area where face recognition makes sense, iFCL, better AF, metering on the AF point etc will start to appear. Probably 4fps, 18mp and Digic5 with better high iso as well.

The xxxD range will turn more into a compact DSLR than an entry level. Exciting times could be on the way at that end.

Bamyo13

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 09:02:48 AM »
Here's a picture I found on some rumor site, downloaded, but can't find the source now. Wasn't a good site anyway, at least as how I remember. I'm not sure if it's photoshopped, and can't check because that error analysis site got shut down. Also, Tineye proved useless for this photo too. I am specifically waiting for 650D too. In my opinion, I would either guess this month, or around mid-May that we'll see the announcement. If not that, then humanity is ending.

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 09:30:23 AM »
interesting, thanks!

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
With that decision essentially made- the question becomes- pull the trigger now on a T3i or wait for the upgrade? I'm getting conflicting information about a release date... the T3i rebates were extended, yet the literature for the new camera is apparently already out there.
Do remember that the T2i is going for $500ish now, the T3i is $600 at Fry's today, and the T4i, if you're lucky, will only cost like $899 or $949. If it gets a bunch of feature upgrades, then its $999. And then you are waiting until November for the first round of major price drops, where you can get it in the $700s.

Sort of the exact problem 5dII v 5dIII people had...if the current model works for you, waiting is just pictures you aren't taking with it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »
So when I open this up with Photoshop, there are three points selected on the "T". Why would that be true?

Has the "4" been Photoshop'd in? If so, it is a very good Photoshop'ing of 4.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
The perspective of the 4 looks off to me, and it appears sharper also than the other two charracters... I call shananigans, alas...

But, when this new magic comes out, my little bro will likely be soon there after scrounging his arby's earnings into a t2i...
What is truth?

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 12:25:51 PM »
Do remember that the T2i is going for $500ish now, the T3i is $600 at Fry's today, and the T4i, if you're lucky, will only cost like $899 or $949. If it gets a bunch of feature upgrades, then its $999. And then you are waiting until November for the first round of major price drops, where you can get it in the $700s.

Sort of the exact problem 5dII v 5dIII people had...if the current model works for you, waiting is just pictures you aren't taking with it.
Your point is valid, but my wife would argue that my XT still "works" for me. And, I won't sweat a hundred or two in price drops if the new camera delivers improvements over the older model. Nice to have the dilemma, tho, isn't it?   8)

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »
I was in a similar situation... with a good investment in EFs lenses to boot (17-55 f/2.8 for life!).  I went with a 7D... and while it wasn't a huge upgrade IQ wise over my XSi... everything else about it _IS_ a huge upgrade.

I shoot mainly outside (landscape) so the weather sealing is killer.  The 3 user programmable settings are unbelievably useful... I'll never be able to own another camera without them.  The thumbstick and thumbwheel are a HUGE step up over a Rebel (you mean I can move around the menus without taking my gloves off when it's -10 degrees?!?!  Sweet!).

And then there is the AF.  While I consider myself a "landscape photographer" because that's what I do for "art"... the majority of my shutter releases are actually my wife, my new puppy, and "vacation" photos ;-)  The AF in the 7D is unreal.  So versatile.  I love being able to smack the AF select button and select an AF point / zone on the fly while I'm looking through the viewfinder and even switch AF modes on the fly while looking through the viewfinder by hitting Mf.  It's become so natural to me that I do it without even thinking.

Then there is even more:

- Electronic level: killer feature for landscapes
- Have different AF points selected in landscape vs left portrait vs right portrait
- FPS (for that puppy!  Look here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=5320.0)
- Instantaneous exposure bracketing with a delay and mirror lockup (put the 7D in live view mode with bracketing on and 2 second delay and you press the shutter release (or hit your remote), the camera waits two seconds then silently fires off 3 exposures... perfect for lanscape work).
- And more...

My point here though is not to try to tempt you into buying a 7D... it's that you should look at the _other_ things a camera does beyond MEGA-Pixels and ISO noise... and really think about how a different machine could help you capture better photos... or get out of the way so you can let your creativity go.

If you're looking for a "step up" from a Rebel... and all you do is go to a new Rebel I think you'll be disappointed.  All you're going to do is compare the shots you take at the pixel level to your old camera and you'll come away thinking that you should have sunk that $700 into another lens instead...

Instead... think about upgrading the _features_ of your camera.  The workflow impacts will make you happier than you think....

deeb

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
Just wait 2 more weeks. (At least that's what I'm doing before I decide on either a T3i or GH2.) They'll be having some big announcements April 16:

http://canontweets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/evo2.jpeg (source: http://canontweets.com/2012/03/canon-invite-april-16-2012/)

They'll probably be focusing on a 4k cinema cam or some other ultra-high-end thing, but I would not doubt that this is the time frame when they'd be rolling out a whole set of goodies, including a possible T4i.

I'm cheap, so I may not even be able to afford the T4i, but at least the t3i price should drop more by end of month.

Jordana

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 05:30:40 PM »
I've heard that there will be some announcements on the 16th.
I have been waiting for the announcement as well, I am so curious. It is so frustrating waiting. I was originally told that it would be released in February, then March an now it's April.

From what I've heard, there will be minor upgrades. Most that don't have anything to do with the quality of pictures (such as wifi capabilities and touch screen). I have decided to wait, even though I am very impatient. I figured that if I wait and I like the T4i, then I will thank myself. If I wait and find out I hate it, I still win because the T3i will become cheaper.

I hope you sort everything out. Good luck :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 05:30:40 PM »

Terry Rogers

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 05:59:26 PM »

Your point is valid, but my wife would argue that my XT still "works" for me. And, I won't sweat a hundred or two in price drops if the new camera delivers improvements over the older model. Nice to have the dilemma, tho, isn't it?   8)
[/quote]

LOL, I know what you mean. But from my view her arguement would be invalid. The XT has no video (great selling point to the wife... "just think of the high quality video we could get of our kids!". The XT has relatively poor iso performance compared to todays batch of entry dslr's... "just think, I could photograph our kids in the school play, or playing sports". I'm sure you could come up with other tidbits to pepper the upgrade debate with.

Good luck.
Rebel T3i,  EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, 430 EX II

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
It's income tax refund time. If the 5D3 had come in $1K cheaper, I could have stretched for it, but with other places for a busy family to put its money- it ain't gonna happen this time around. So, to replace my Rebel XT I've decided to just get another Rebel for now.

Sure, I could buy a 60D, 7D or even a 5D2, but they're not the cameras I want, and- (let's be realistic) as a hobbyist with other interests- I can make do with a 650D. Maybe next year I can spin the Rebel down to one of my kids and get the camera I really want

Anybody have any good rumours, mysterious african safari pics, manuals on Amazon, leaked prototype photos? (Just doesn't have the same caché, does it?)   :P

What's the body you want and why ?

Improvements to bodies, especially frequently updated consumer lines are very incremental -- so unless there is some feature that you want in the newer camera, I wouldn't hold out for it. In the case of the upgrade from XT to a T3i, you get video a better screen, a slightly faster burst rate, and probably a newer AF system. Sensor performance isn't radically different. That's from a very old body to a very new body. I doubt the jump from that to the newest rebel is anywhere near as great.

On the other hand if you want a more substantial upgrade, look into an older full frame body. These are a huge step up in sensor performance from any APS-C.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »