April 23, 2014, 06:40:37 PM

Author Topic: Go small or go home (T4i)  (Read 12169 times)

briansquibb

Re: Go small or go home (T4i)
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 02:07:27 AM »
My wife was a bit anti when I upgraded at the beginning - but now she is seeing the pictures being published she is very supportive indeed and now is already asking why I didn't get a 5DIII ....

The fact that I have bought and sold some L lens at a profit as I upgraded convinced her that investing in the 400 f/2.8 and the 600 f/4

I mostly buy used so if I dont like some kit I dont lose money - the other benefit is that I dont have the latest and greatest to try to sort out (look at the grief the 5DIII people are having with lack of driver support).

I have a simple approach to kit - buy wisely, buy cheap, buy quality

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 02:07:27 AM »

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 11:25:55 PM »
Thanks for the info and comments, folks. There were a couple posts that asked questions to which I should reply individually, but sorry, it's late... Camera I want? 5D3. Why? Because. Camera I'm going to buy this time around? T4i. It's enough for my current skill level, it'll be a nice little step up from my XT and I've got other fish to fry this summer. I can revisit things again next year, and with 3 kids either in or entering their teens- the Rebel wouldn't go to waste.

Regarding the wait- what the heck, it's only a couple weeks. I've made the mistake of buying tech near the end of product cycles before, and no matter what the improvement- I've regretted it. If I did decide that the T3i still met my needs- at least it would be an informed decision and I'd capture any potential price decrease.

Now where's that Japanese safari guy...
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

dichiaras

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 08:01:24 AM »

I've been looking for that guy for the past two months, but he only showed up once with the wrong piece of equipment.

In 8 days there should be a "major announcement", and still no rumors... I might guess we'll have to wait until the fall for a new rebel. In any case I'll skip this cycle, if as it seems there will be only minor improvements like touch-screen and digic V: I want better IQ=a new sensor. It's amazing how slow in technological advance Canon is: my MacBook Pro is 2 and 1/2 years old, and the new models are 3 times faster; a rebel T2i is 2 years old, and the T4i will (likely) have 0 times better IQ.

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 09:14:11 AM »
I hear you! I would wonder if we're just spoiled by the pace of Apple and the PC industry but I just replaced my stereo equipment paying pretty much the same actual $ numbers for new, high-end stuff that I paid for the old components in 1984.

Last fall when the karma system was still active I made the mistake of pointing out that the functionality of my iphone (not its optics) made today's DSLRs appear stodgy in comparison. That was good for a couple dozen smites. Somebody (or several somebodies) here on the site get downright defensive about Canon's policies and the glacial pace of technological progress.

Really, considering the thousands of dollars people are investing in Canon systems- they should be demanding so much more. 30% price increases for marginal technical improvements?! This is an industry ripe for nimble new competitiors.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:57:07 PM by wellfedCanuck »

!Xabbu

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »
Thanks for the info and comments, folks. There were a couple posts that asked questions to which I should reply individually, but sorry, it's late... Camera I want? 5D3. Why? Because. Camera I'm going to buy this time around? T4i. It's enough for my current skill level, it'll be a nice little step up from my XT and I've got other fish to fry this summer. I can revisit things again next year, and with 3 kids either in or entering their teens- the Rebel wouldn't go to waste.

Regarding the wait- what the heck, it's only a couple weeks. I've made the mistake of buying tech near the end of product cycles before, and no matter what the improvement- I've regretted it. If I did decide that the T3i still met my needs- at least it would be an informed decision and I'd capture any potential price decrease.

Hi Canuck,

From all the posts I read and my own "wisdom" I consider it rather unlikely that a big change will happen with the T4i before either the 60D or 7D see a big upgrade. If it would get a considerably improved sensor, it would make selling the 60D or 7D really hard.

I'm currently facing a similar decision as you are and I'm split between 60D and 7D. I really want an improved AF over my 450D and I want the improved ergonomics, which will prepare myself for the next upgrade, when I might decide to go FF.

Just my 2 cents...

D_Rochat

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 12:20:38 PM »
It's hard to tell where the T4i will go at this point, but I don't expect huge changes yet. Each Rebel upgrade has been very insignificant IMO and it normally takes a few models before an upgrade is worth it. Wait and see what rumors surface, but unless the T4i upgrades the Rebel's terrible AF, I'd just go with a T3i.

gtog

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »
I would think it unlikely that there would not be a T4i(?)/650D before the holiday shopping season this year. I would also think with all Canon's focus on higher-end cameras (5D3, 1DX, and cinema) so far this year, they won't neglect the lower-end all year but could easily bump an xxxD to September. While most of the xxxD have been February/March/April cameras, the Rebel/300D and XTi/400D were September cameras.

I also don't know what Canon might accomplish regarding improvements to the APS-C sensors this cycle (having been focused on FF and cinema sensors), but they have not been afraid in the past  to have an xxxD sensor exceed their xxD sensor. I refer to the XTi/400D in September 2006 having 10.1 Mp while the 30D had 8.2 Mp and then again in March 2008 the XSi/450D having 12.2 Mp while the 40D had 10.1 Mp.

It would seen possible a new xxxD might have a Digic V and more in-camera processing features without a major change in sensor, in which case I would expect a significant sensor upgrade in either a 70D or 7D2 late this year or early next after the new xxxD. Once a 70D/7D2 is announced with an improved sensor, then I would expect any subsequent xxxD to have an improved sensor also. The further we get into the year for an APS-C camera announcement, the more likely it will involve an improved sensor.

However, April is not over yet and we may still get a camera announcement -- and don't forget the glass!

G

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »

mclaren777

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 07:12:16 PM »

Bamyo13

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »

ThuiQuaDayNe

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »
I've heard that there will be some announcements on the 16th.
I have been waiting for the announcement as well, I am so curious. It is so frustrating waiting. I was originally told that it would be released in February, then March an now it's April.

From what I've heard, there will be minor upgrades. Most that don't have anything to do with the quality of pictures (such as wifi capabilities and touch screen). I have decided to wait, even though I am very impatient. I figured that if I wait and I like the T4i, then I will thank myself. If I wait and find out I hate it, I still win because the T3i will become cheaper.

I hope you sort everything out. Good luck :)

Interestingly, the Nikon D3200 will be announced during this timeline as well.  Hopefully we will get better news in two weeks.

unadog

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 10:45:06 PM »
Wait. It is coming soon.

Canondirect has been blowing out their stock of Canon T3i refurbs, which is usually a pretty good sign of a new camera coming out.

I bought a refurb T3i with 18-55 kit lens for $617 shipped, with tax, a few weeks back. It had 179 shots on it. 

But I needed a video capable body for a shoot on April 21.  I had both the 5D3 and D800E on pre-order, but decided to wait a while on one of those.

I will probably buy a T4i for the likely improvements to video capture as much as anything else.  I have always done well buying a Canon body when it first comes out, then selling in 2 years.  True cost of ownership is Purchase Price - Sale Price.

On this type of camera it is about $100 per year.  Not worth waiting to save maybe $50 in half a year. I just spent $250 on gas and meals to go up to the cottage for a week!

Cheers!  Good luck!

Michael

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »
Arghhh!!!!!!!!!!!

D3200! !  My Nikon friends are giving me the gears!
Ye gods! Send us a sign!! Somebody photoshop something... make up a rumour... please...

Terry Rogers

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »
Arghhh!!!!!!!!!!!

D3200! !  My Nikon friends are giving me the gears!
Ye gods! Send us a sign!! Somebody photoshop something... make up a rumour... please...

Tell them they can keep their 24 mp abomination. You would need to put some seriously expensive glass in front of a 24mp DX sensor to resolve that kind of detail. And if you can affort that kind of glass you would be buying the d800. Unfortunately, Nikon is likely taking their marketing cues from Canon and packing the  highest megapixel count into the camera to cater to inexperienced consumers. Hopefully canon doesn't follow suit in the t4i. The only place in the canon lineup I could see a 24mp aps-c sensor would be a 7d mk II with f8 autofocus ability to cater to wildlife and bird photographers who need to most reach possible using $3000+ glass. Anything less than that and you would end up with finely detailed mush. Am I out to lunch with this assessment?
Rebel T3i,  EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, 430 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »
Who cares about megapixels.  Any DSLR sold today has more than you need.  Who cares how many megapixels the T4i is going to have.  FWIW, one could outresolve a 24 mpix sensor with a 50/1.8

The key thing that sets the D3200 apart from Canon is the continuous video autofocus.  I wonder if Canon can get this to work in time for the T4i.

ctmike

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »
Fact is, camera specs the likes of the D3200 even a year or two ago at the $699 price point would be considered insane. Like it or not, there is a LOT of value in it. I hope Canon at least matches the value, preferably, exceeds it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »