September 17, 2014, 11:49:13 AM

Author Topic: Go small or go home (T4i)  (Read 12651 times)

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Go small or go home (T4i)
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 09:04:43 AM »
So, here I am half way between boating season and ski season with a spare $K in my pocket. (That, in itself is an accomplishment for a 50 year old man with a large, busy family and too many hobbies.) I could finally upgrade my XT to a T4i, but the camera I really want is the 6D. (Okay, 5D3, but that ain't gonna happen.)

I could consider a 5D2 instead, but if the AF is anything like my friend's 60D in low light- it would be a disappointment for much of the photography that I do.  (Although the majority of my images are typical family-oriented events in poorly-lit schools and arenas, what I really enjoy is landscape and aerial photography.) I didn't like the 60D and might consider the 7D but don't like the idea of buying a 3 year old camera that's due for a refresh and is not yet experiencing significant discounts.

But let's face it- realistically- I'm a wannabe, a hack- the sort of photographer you guys mock at public events. Taking a proper course has been on my list forever- am I going to appreciate or utilize the benefits that a FF camera would provide to me? Considering the 6D release date and waiting for a reasonable price-drop, is it worth the wait?

The money's burning a hole, talk me down off the ledge, guys...  ;)
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 09:04:43 AM »

birtembuk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 09:34:08 AM »
So, here I am half way between boating season and ski season with a spare $K in my pocket. (That, in itself is an accomplishment for a 50 year old man with a large, busy family and too many hobbies.) I could finally upgrade my XT to a T4i, but the camera I really want is the 6D. (Okay, 5D3, but that ain't gonna happen.)

I could consider a 5D2 instead, but if the AF is anything like my friend's 60D in low light- it would be a disappointment for much of the photography that I do.  (Although the majority of my images are typical family-oriented events in poorly-lit schools and arenas, what I really enjoy is landscape and aerial photography.) I didn't like the 60D and might consider the 7D but don't like the idea of buying a 3 year old camera that's due for a refresh and is not yet experiencing significant discounts.

But let's face it- realistically- I'm a wannabe, a hack- the sort of photographer you guys mock at public events. Taking a proper course has been on my list forever- am I going to appreciate or utilize the benefits that a FF camera would provide to me? Considering the 6D release date and waiting for a reasonable price-drop, is it worth the wait?

The money's burning a hole, talk me down off the ledge, guys...  ;)

Well, to some experts here, buying a 60D will make you a dummy and buying a 6D will make you a sucker. Nice aren't they? Don't listen to them though, they're not the payers. I'd agree with you to forget about these older models. As for the 6D, according to whatever has been released and going by what the 5D3 can do in low light, it could well be the one that suits your photo style. I'd wait for the reviews and particularly re the focusing ability of these 11 points. The Nikon D600 has more but crammed in the bull's eye. So, let's wait a bit. What's sure is that you're gonna see a lot of difference with APS-C. Don't forget the lenses though. It might burn a hole in the other pocket. 

crasher8

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 09:36:44 AM »
Come on, if you're going to be a hack go big! Used 1D mk2. 1200-1400.00 You'll be The Camera Guy!
But seriously, what you want isn't out yet. Be patient, work on your skill set and consider your glass needs a bit more both artistically and scientifically. If you're going FF make wiser, long term decisions.

miah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 10:08:26 AM »
I stepped from the XT to the XTi to the T1i and now have the T3i. I can say with confidence that my T3i is 10x the camera that my XT was. More MP, better IQ, better ISO performance (though not 5D3 level, for sure), bigger/better LCD, more ergonomic, and better menu system. I mean, it's a whole new camera and well worth the upgrade!

The best thing is that it's still light and compact. I've carried it all over the world (camping) and have never had an issue with its lack of weather sealing or build-quality. The Rebel series is much maligned by purists in search of the ultimate IQ (don't we all fit into that category on some level?), but they fail to appreciate its advantages: size matters.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:15:30 AM by miah »
T3i • 10-22 • 15-85 • 70-300DO *** 5D3 • 35 f/2 • 50 f/1.8 • 24-105L • 100L • 70-300L • 35-350L • 400L f/5.6

crasher8

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
I stepped from the XT to the XTi to the T1i and now have the T3i. I can say with confidence that my T3i is 10x the camera that my XT was. More MP, better IQ, better ISO performance (though not 5D3 level, for sure), bigger/better LCD, more ergonomic, and better menu system. I mean, it's a whole new camera and well worth the upgrade!

The best thing is that it's still light and compact. I've carried it all over the world (camping) and have never had an issue with its lack of weather sealing or build-quality. The Rebel series is much maligned by purists in search of the ultimate IQ (don't we all fit into that category on some level?), but they fail to appreciate its advantages: size matters.

I have larger hands AND arthritis. I had a hell of a time with the T2i and even to some extent the 7D. The 5D3 is perfect for ergonomics. Now I'm looking into getting a 1v to replace my Elan 7 for the same reasons.

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2012, 02:31:51 PM »

Don't sweat it man. The real photographers at those events are nice guys, they'll talk to you and give you their card if they have one. It's the other amateurs you need to watch out for - they're the ones eyeballing your lens for the red stripe.

I think given the proximity to the 6D's intended release and the complete unknown it adds into the equation, plus the fact that're going to be using it outdoors a lot and might make use of the GPS, you should wait for the 6D before you make any decisions. It's tempting to just buy in right now, but nothing is worse than jumping into last year's tech right on the upgrade cycle and feeling remorseful right away.

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 08:53:57 AM »
Thanks for the opinions. Money still safely in pocket.  ;)
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 08:53:57 AM »