October 02, 2014, 09:24:00 AM

Author Topic: Adorama Mark Wallace Product Review Of The 5D III.  (Read 5219 times)

Orion

Re: Adorama Mark Wallace Product Review Of The 5D III.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 08:11:19 PM »
btw, Mark Wallace uses Nikon and Canon systems. . . . primarily Nikon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 08:11:19 PM »

the-ninth

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »
Hi Everybody,

My main concern with this "review" is that it comes from a shop that lives off selling us new equipment. The video consequently seems to me more like a sales show than a serious discussion of pros and cons of the new camera.

Don't get me wrong, I got the 5D3 the day it came out and love it. Coming from a 30D I trusted Canon to produce a solid camera that would be a quantum leap for me. But for users already owning more up-to-date equipment the decision is a much more complicated one.

So I find it hard to take a review serious that comes to the unconditional conclusion that the 5D3 is worth its money and everyone should go out and get one yesterday.

About mentioning the D800: apart from bragging rights, I don't think that to be relevant to most users. Switching systems is too big a step, the two cameras would have to be worlds apart to justify that for the majority of users. Comparisons to previous Canon models would be much more relevant. But again, they live from selling us the 5D3, not from telling us that if we already have model x and don't need feature z we can well skip it.

Cheers, Robert
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:45:06 AM by the-ninth »

D_Rochat

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 01:03:02 AM »
the-ninth makes a good point, but I still think it's one of the more useful 5D mkIII reviews I've seen.

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 01:10:12 AM »
I really like the fact that Wallace is not bringing up one single word that would state a biased comparison against a specific camera from some other brand. I think both cameras/brands have their place (yes slap me if you want) but I'm only interested to see what the 5DIII delivers. Of course, it's only my opinion... I don't know if he's brand-fanatic or not but I could imagine him as well talking about the good things that's delivered by the other brand. I guess that's kind of professional.

To my knowledge Mark has never been brand specific. He has always given all brands equal and unbiased reviews. That's why I still watch him. IMO him, Gordan Laing from CameraLabs and Philip Bloom do some of the best reviews on the net.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 01:17:25 AM »
I really like the fact that Wallace is not bringing up one single word that would state a biased comparison against a specific camera from some other brand. I think both cameras/brands have their place (yes slap me if you want) but I'm only interested to see what the 5DIII delivers. Of course, it's only my opinion... I don't know if he's brand-fanatic or not but I could imagine him as well talking about the good things that's delivered by the other brand. I guess that's kind of professional.

Obviously he's working for Adorama here and it's not in their interests to have him pick and choose brands. Still I've always got the feeling that he's more of a Nikon guy, thought I can't really remember where I got that from.

I don't know where you would have gotten that from either as I always thought he was a Canon guy when I saw his earlier One-On-One videos before AdoramaTV. He always seemed to be using Canon camera and lenses but made it a point to include how you could do the same set up with Nikon cameras and lenses. Mark produced his own shows under the Snap Factory Brand and if I'm not mistaken still owns all the rights to his videos under that brand. He is not working "for" Adorama as much as working "with" them.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 01:21:50 AM »

As others have pointed out, Wallace is working for Adorama in this instance.  I'll bet it would be hard to find a review in which he doesn't serve as a cheerleader for the product in question.  I'm not saying he's necessarily wrong in this (or other) cases.  However, I would actually attach more significance to criticisms given that any negative comments would be against self-interest.  I don't know what one can conclude from a lack of them.

I would agree that Mark is a bit of a cheerleader doesn't seem to have much (if anything) negative to say about any of the products he reviews. They always seem to be great for some reason. lol

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 01:21:50 AM »