October 23, 2017, 08:37:49 PM

Author Topic: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond  (Read 10376 times)

TrumpetPower!

  • EOS 5DS R
  • ******
  • Posts: 934
Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »
I wouldn't at all let the top LCD backlight "problem" influence my decision for the simple reason that the camera, even with the "problem," performs flawlessly within and beyond its specified limits.

Anybody with a 5DIII can trivially confirm this. Put the camera in manual mode and set the exposure to EV 1 (one second at f/1.4 at ISO 100, if I remember right) and find something dark in a dark corner of a dark room where the meter bug is centered. Turn the backlight on and off, and the meter won't budge. EV 1 is the specified minimum light level that the meter is designed to work in, so when you see that the meter doesn't budge, you know your camera is working exactly as designed.

Lengthen the exposure by a stop, find an even darker corner of the room, and the backlight still isn't going to change the reading. You're now working in half the minimum amount of light the meter is designed for, and it still works fine.

Yet another stop darker, at EV -1, which is absurdly dark for photographic meters and not a situation where anybody with a clue would ever even bother with a meter, you might get the backlight to change the indicated exposure by a third of a stop -- but that's irrelevant, because the meter is already way beyond spec and into silly useless range. You need to get all the way down past EV -4 before the backlight changes the measured exposure by a stop, and that's waaaaay into ludicrous territory.

So, buy the camera or not if it's a tool worth the value to you or a toy worth the pleasure you anticipate it will bring. but, for the sake of all that's unholy, don't give even a moment's thought to this tempest in a teacup.

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »

Dylan777

  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • **********
  • Posts: 5452
Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »
Quote
If you want it and have any interesting shoots in the next 3-6 weeks I think I'd just get it now. The thing is, now with the suspension of shipments and recall of the last shipment that had been on it's way out, it's suddenly hard to find in most places.

That's an interesting way to put it. I have seven weddings scheduled in the next six weeks. I simply can't do my job with a good set of camera's. My 5D3's are a huge improvement over what I was shooting with. I'd make the same purchase again in a minute. The "Light Leak" joke does not affect me and if that is all they are going to do to the camera, I would not send it in for such a recall.

+1...I would buy this camera all over AGAIN.

I just bought 16-35mm II for next week trip to Joshua Tree National Park. Can't wait to test out this lens.

Joshua Tree National Park Site: http://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:49:05 PM by Dylan777 »

jalbfb

  • EOS M5
  • ****
  • Posts: 176
Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 09:02:50 PM »
Buy 5D Mark III Now or Wait till Canon respond?

If you can get 5D III NOW at authoirzed dealer, I think you should go for it. I have no issues with "light leak" as reported.

Here are some shots I took, selling my flash on Ebay, I use JPEG with M size. straight out from camera.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180864229426?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

+1.  Get it from authorized dealer and you will be fine...unless you plan to shoot with the lens cap on!

 ;)

LOL.  Totally agree with JR.  He hit the nail on the head.
Happy owner of the 5D Mark IV, 24-105 f/4L and other L & third party lenses

dturano

  • Guest
Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 09:06:22 PM »
I own one, if I didn't I would buy either way. 

1.  If its a firmware fix it's quick an easy.
2.  There are three open issues, more may pop up, the issues have caused me any direct issues.
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii?pageKeyCode=43
3.  If its hardware related and they need to do hold future shipments and do a recall you would get your camera back relatively fast, vs. waiting for new cameras to arrive a stores.

psolberg

  • EOS 7D Mark II
  • *****
  • Posts: 552
Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 06:50:19 AM »
wait. the 5DmkIII doesn't have anything groundbreaking that will stop you from working.

chrysek

  • Guest
Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 07:05:35 AM »
It feels like story with Apple where Steve told everyone that they holding their phone the wrong way. So what apple did? Well they updated software not to react with such quick response and just dont show imediate the signal drop, they said that they fixed the antena etc, just crap to shut people down. The same will be with canon, its impossible to recall all cameras, well its possible, just will cost them arm and a leg, so they will probably fix this via firmware update not to act on that particular situation. They have to read light to adjust all the setings and it has to get in camera somewhere, maybe they put some sensor or that was in design to get this light trough everywhere to make it what it is? Who knows the engineering minds behind. They cant just came outand say it was in design. Maybe new models they will do something with to medigate this in technical way but I think they will just correct it via software. :)) easiest and will not cost them that much, after all they are there for the money. :)))

chrysek

  • Guest
Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 07:08:26 AM »
By the way I am also waiting on a sideline for canon to respond, have 5d mark ii, preordered 1Dx and wanted to replace my 5d. So I am not in a rush. But very interesting how canon will respond :)

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 07:08:26 AM »

tron

  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *********
  • Posts: 3187
Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 08:16:14 AM »
I have a 5DII, I am an amateur and I find 5DIII expensive. I admit I am thrilled with the autofocus improvements and high ISO performance but I'll wait anyway.

It doesn't matter if this issue does not affect metering very much. My 5DII does not have it neither my old analog EOS cameras!!!
It is ridiculous for a company to make such an expensive and advanced camera and be so careless!

On the other hand if there are professionals who will put it to use immediatelly and are not affected by the problem then I understand that their millage will vary.

Sallivres

  • Guest
Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 09:25:33 AM »
I really don't get this light leak issue, I only use the top LCD backlight before taking the shot and thats when I only  need to, and there are far more factors that can affect your exposure than the lcd backlight that everybody is worried about.


swrightgfx

  • EOS Rebel T7i
  • ****
  • Posts: 114
Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »
Perhaps they could implement a firmware update that disables the meter display below 0EV. We'd all become better shooters in such situations and have more accurately metered scenes if they did. :P

Seriously, this is not an issue - buy the camera or get a D800, which is specified accurate to -1EV.

awinphoto

  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ********
  • Posts: 2088
    • AW Photography
Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 10:07:09 AM »
Life is too short to fret about such a non-issue.  The DPP is more of an issue than this is. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L IS, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 2 430EX 2's and a partridge in a pear tree.

Chewy734

  • EOS M5
  • ****
  • Posts: 237
Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 10:24:10 AM »
Life is too short to fret about such a non-issue.  The DPP is more of an issue than this is.

True.  Plus, I'm surprised that it's taking them so long to release the update.

Bosman

  • EOS 5DS R
  • ******
  • Posts: 879
    • Bosman Photography
Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »
Ramon in your personal message to me there were several questions you wanted me to answer and finally if you should get the camera. My answer to all those questions was, get the camera if you can find one. The reason i didn't answer each question with its own response is, i don't have any objections to the camera other than what a firmware fix will fix, like the prelit focus point. This camera works well and yes its a lot of money and i understand weighing your options but typically the people in this forum ranting about this "problem" more than likely are living off words and forum banter and not experience. Canon is not an evil corporation and they aren't in business to make your life miserable like some seem to portray.
As Daniel said, "buy it".
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Buy 5D Mark III now or wait till Canon respond
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »