October 22, 2014, 11:30:02 AM

Author Topic: Autofocus that works with video in an upcoming Canon DSLR  (Read 8400 times)

Mark

Autofocus that works with video in an upcoming Canon DSLR
« on: January 26, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »
I use the 7D for shooting video quite a bit.  For me, the one most important feature that would justify buying the next camera Canon puts out is for the video to autofocus like a regular camcorder or the Sony mirrorless cameras.  I have all Canon lenses but have even considered buying a Sony just for the video autofocus capability.

Have you heard anything about video autofocus in an upcoming Canon DSLR?

canon rumors FORUM

Autofocus that works with video in an upcoming Canon DSLR
« on: January 26, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »

aberz

Re: Autofocus that works with video in an upcoming Canon DSLR
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 12:33:21 AM »
In the video world, Autofocus is not pro. A lot of pro will tell you to set everything to manual. They have a reason for that. However, I know some pro out there who use autofocus to their advantage.

That said, I dont think Autofocus for DSLR video is a feature that camera maker put on top of the list. However it would be nice to have.

On the side note, Focus preset and focus pulling is on my wish list. For me, Racking the perfect follow focus is harder than keeping things in focus  Hell, they had this feature on the good old XL2 . The new magic lantern have follow focus function but I would like to see some thing that brewed by Canon.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 12:02:25 PM »
I expect we will see some improvement in autofocus while making movies, but its not easy. 

I would like to see something that works and does not have the drawbacks of the Sony system.  Its a step forward in some ways and a step backwards in others.  The built-in IS also creates a heat problem for video makers, overheats are too common, and video is limited to 10 minutes due to overheating.  You will have to wait 30 minutes to let it cool down.  This may not be a issue for staged shooting, but imagine shooting weddings with 20-30 minute segments missing every 10 minutes or less.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/a55-further.shtml

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »
Autofocus in videocameras have always been horrid even in expensive eng sets, I've never used it and I don't recall anyone ever using it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »