October 20, 2014, 06:51:33 PM

Author Topic: 5D III error 80 and failure to release shutter  (Read 23899 times)

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
5D III error 80 and failure to release shutter
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »
My brand new 5D III has twice locked up giving me Error 80, and requiring I pull the battery.  This is within the first 300 pics.

In addition, I have 8-10 times had the camera focus, give me the focus confirmation beep, and then not fire as I held down the shutter button. This has happened in AI-servo mode, as well as straight up green auto everything mode. I've had a 7d for 2 years, and am not unfamiliar with the new focus system.  I even read the manual. But it's not really a focus problem, the camera just refuses release the shutter.

I am traveling now so returning is not really possible for the next week.  Has anyone else encountered these problems?

canon rumors FORUM

5D III error 80 and failure to release shutter
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D III error 80 and failure to release shutter
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:09:53 PM »
i've only used genuine canon batteries in mine so far
if I put the kenko TC on the camera the 00 error comes up and wont clear when i put any lens on until the battery is removed and replaced
kenko say their testing show their stuff works fine on the mk3
I'm taking mine back again this arvo, I just have to wait in the que for a replacement
APS-H Fanboy

roaringstorm

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:15:40 PM »
800+ shots without issues - genuine batteries.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:43:54 PM »
I have only used the original Canon battery that came with the camera, and the 24-105 that came with it.  Actually I have used a couple of other canon lenses and one Sigma (forgive me) but the problems occurred with the new kit
Lens.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:25:25 AM by TexPhoto »

unkbob

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:44:37 PM »
Got the same error very soon after I bought the camera  - testing a no name battery. Ever since I've stuck to Canon batteries and have had no problems. Perhaps they've got some anti-cheapass mechanism in there somewhere.

Chris Geiger

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 01:14:41 AM »
No problems on my two 5D3's.  I've got  2,000+ photos on each body now. Today I also did two hundred product photos with the Canon 12mm extension tube. That's working well too. I only use Nikon batteries. No error 80 here.

cps_user

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:12:20 AM »
take it back and get a new one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:12:20 AM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »
Fortunately I have my 7D as a backup. Will see how willing B&H is to take it back.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »
Fortunately I have my 7D as a backup. Will see how willing B&H is to take it back.

Call them today and get a RMA number.  This will give you some additional time to get it back to them and establishes the problem as happening within the return period.

VirtualRain

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 10:20:45 AM »
My brand new 5D III has twice locked up giving me Error 80, and requiring I pull the battery.  This is within the first 300 pics.

In addition, I have 8-10 times had the camera focus, give me the focus confirmation beep, and then not fire as I held down the shutter button. This has happened in AI-servo mode, as well as straight up green auto everything mode. I've had a 7d for 2 years, and am not unfamiliar with the new focus system.  I even read the manual. But it's not really a focus problem, the camera just refuses release the shutter.

I am traveling now so returning is not really possible for the next week.  Has anyone else encountered these problems?

I'm also getting an occasional Error 80.  I've had my 5D3 from Adorama for a week on vacation. Error happens with both the kit lens and my 35L and I've only been using the factory battery.
Canon 5D Mark III, 35L, 85L, 24-105L, 70-300L

thatcherk1

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 01:11:59 AM »
I have the same problem, several lenses, several memory cards, several batteries, all canon batteries.  It happened on one camera, I returned it, and the second (and current) one I have does the problem too.

Let me know if anyone finds out a solution.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 06:17:18 PM »
Well, B&H is closed until 15 April due to Passover, so I can't return mine.  Will talk to Canon Tomorrow. 

scott35

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »
I'm also getting the "Error 80" / "Err 80" error message.  I bought my Canon 5D Mark III from my local camera store a few weeks ago.  I had no problems at all for the first week or more.  (Aside from the Error 80 problem, I love the camera so far and have no other complaints at all.)

I've probably taken 1,000 or so images so far with the camera.  During the past 3-4 days, I've gotten the Err 80 (Error 80) message on the top LCD about 5 times.  When the error is displayed, the camera ceases to function.  The problem has always occurred immediately after shooting an image (and it appears that the last image does not get recorded).  Each time, I have "solved" the problem by powering the camera off, removing the battery, re-inserting the battery, and turning the camera back on.  The camera then seems to work normally for a while. 

I have the camera set to record RAW images to the CF card (Sandisk 16GB "Extreme III" 30MB/s CF card) and small JPG's to the SD card (8GB Eye-Fi Pro X2 SD card).  I have exclusively used the original/genuine Canon battery that came in the box.  I have only used Canon lenses thus far.  The camera has only been used in dry moderate weather conditions (50-80 degrees F, no rain, no sand, no humid environments, etc).  Basically - I'm not doing anything unusual, and I'm familiar with Canon cameras (I've previously used 5D, 5D2, 1D4, 7D, and others).

I just called Canon CPS to ask them about the problem, and they said I was the first to call about it.  They seemed to suspect the problem might be related to the Eye-Fi card.  (They said the error 80 relates to writing the image to the card.)  Canon suggested disabling the Eye-Fi card to see if that resolves the problem (as a way of ruling out if the EyeFi card is causing the problem).  They were friendly and tried to be helpful and find a solution that didn't involve me having to send them my camera (which is appreciated).

Is anyone else who is seeing "error 80" using an Eye-Fi card?  Has anyone found any solutions to this problem?

Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »

VirtualRain

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 05:59:12 PM »
In my case, I was using it last week on vacation in the Caribbean and also used the dual card slots with RAW going to my old CF cards and JPEGS going to a new 16GB Eye-Fi... So perhaps there is something to the types of cards and or the Eye-Fi that relate to this. Unfortunately, I won't have an opportunity to shoot a ton of pics to test this theory until the weekend.

However, if I'm not mistaken, when this error occurred on my camera it was before I could take a picture, not after.  When it occurred, it was when pressing the shutter half way to take a shot, which made me wonder if it wasn't AF/lens related.  But I witnessed it on both my new 24-105 kit lens and trusty old 35L.

It needs more research and feedback to Canon. Hopefully it's a firmware fix and not faulty hardware.
Canon 5D Mark III, 35L, 85L, 24-105L, 70-300L

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »
OK, well good to know i am not alone.

It is really frustrating that I cannot reach B&H about this.  I understand their closing for religious reasons, but jeez...  Can't you hire a few Christians/Buddhists/Snake Handlers to answer the phone?  I cannot even get support via their website as they have the feature blocked.  I feel like i cannot continue to use the camera because I will add to the shutter count. 

What have others with the problem(s) done?  Returned your Camera?

I have emailed Canon, but have not received a response. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:33:59 PM by TexPhoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »