July 28, 2014, 03:40:52 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III File Issues  (Read 7824 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III File Issues
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »
I got my 5D3 last Friday and took few hundred photos with no issues.  Today I took ~200 photos and 3 of them in a row were corrupted.  Lightroom 4.1 could read 2 of the 3 but chunks of the photos were missing.  It wouldn't read the 3rd.

DPP could read them but they were blocky/pixellated (like they had been reduced to a small size and then blown up).  It could not export them to jpg. 

This was with firmware v1.1.3

Attached is an example of the jpg output from Lightroom 4.1 and a crop of what Canon DPP shows me for the same file.

It sounds like corrupted download, did you use a card reader?  Try downloading them from the camera.

The image is blocky because DPP is showing the tiny jpeg thumbnail that is embeded in every raw image, but the main image is corrupted.

The usual cause of this is a bad card or a error in downloading using a card reader.

Try it from the camera, do a chkdisk on the card to check for bad sectors, try a different card reader or at least a different USB cable.

good Luck!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »

sanderW

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 07:23:39 AM »
I recognize this problem. I had the same issue with my initial 5D mark III. After a few 100 photos or so, I had these corrupt raw files. Pure randomly, with the same pattern as your example. (jpeg preview in the raw file was fine, raw data was corrupt. Mostly the lower right corner of the photo).

Tests I did were:
- use other CF cards
- try different readers
- reformat the cards
- firmware update

In the end I came to the conclusion that it must be the camera. I brought it back to the shop and they gave me a new 5DIII. That solved the problem.

I got my 5D3 last Friday and took few hundred photos with no issues.  Today I took ~200 photos and 3 of them in a row were corrupted.  Lightroom 4.1 could read 2 of the 3 but chunks of the photos were missing.  It wouldn't read the 3rd.

DPP could read them but they were blocky/pixellated (like they had been reduced to a small size and then blown up).  It could not export them to jpg. 

This was with firmware v1.1.3

Attached is an example of the jpg output from Lightroom 4.1 and a crop of what Canon DPP shows me for the same file.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 07:26:01 AM by sanderW »

Deb

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 12:42:46 AM »
I just bought a Mark III 5d and up to this point, I have been shooting JPEGs.  I have a big shoot tomorrow and will be shooting in RAW.  I tried shooting a few RAW images tonight and I too am having problems importing to Lightroom.  I cannot import to Photoshop Elements 10 either.  I am wondering if there's a camera setting that I need to adjust?

rolsskk

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 01:59:43 PM »
I just tried a new card freshly formatted several times and it has done the same thing every time. It seems to be stopping  around 160 files before the images are no good anymore, which, when calculated out, equals around 4GBs of images. This leads me to believe its a FAT32 issue limiting it. Anybody have any thoughts?
My thoughts - you're completely wrong about FAT32 being related to it, as you're not producing any files of signifigant size. FAT32 comes into play when you want transfer one file of a large size, but not multiple files that amount to a large file size.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »
I just bought a Mark III 5d and up to this point, I have been shooting JPEGs.  I have a big shoot tomorrow and will be shooting in RAW.  I tried shooting a few RAW images tonight and I too am having problems importing to Lightroom.  I cannot import to Photoshop Elements 10 either.  I am wondering if there's a camera setting that I need to adjust?
Dep, you need to have editing software that supports the 5D MK III.  The latest version of lightroom 4 will, you might need to install updates for Elements 10.

You have excellent editing software that came with the camera, DPP.  It can open the images and send them to older Lightroom versions as tiff files where you can edit them using familiar tools.

simon

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 05:44:34 PM »
I have experienced the same issues twice now, on both CF and SD cards... The only way to recover these corrupt images are to copy the images in camera onto a fresh card. When the copies are created in camera they are completely readable and editable... This is not a software issue, its a camera issue, rectified by taking it back to when you've purchased it for a new replacements... Seems only to be when shooting RAW files...

Not a good experience for me after switching from Nikon :-(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 05:44:34 PM »