September 30, 2014, 04:11:58 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III File Issues  (Read 8110 times)

bcharrold

5D Mark III File Issues
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:12:31 PM »
Has anybody had any issues with their files on their 5D Mark III? Both yesterday and today I had the same issue: After shooting around 200 images, the last 20 or so are not recognized by LR or the DNG converter. LR says it cannot load preview. They appear to be fine when reviewed in camera so I dont know what the deal is, but its making me very sad.

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III File Issues
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:12:31 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III File Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »
do you have the beta updates ACR6.7 and lightroom 4.1 beta update installed?
APS-H Fanboy

bcharrold

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:21:31 PM »
I have LR4 and I donloaded the updated DNG converter, but I can't update ACR because I have CS4. It worked fine since it came out until last night and it works for almost all the pics except the last handfuls.

bcharrold

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:30:02 PM »
I shot 200 files and last 47 cannot be read on the computer - LR can't load the preview and doesnt import them, DNG converter doesnt convert them and I can't even just copy them off the card to a folder with finder, but they all play back fine in camera.

bcharrold

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »
DPP doesnt recognize them either

bcharrold

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 12:36:19 AM »
I just tried a new card freshly formatted several times and it has done the same thing every time. It seems to be stopping  around 160 files before the images are no good anymore, which, when calculated out, equals around 4GBs of images. This leads me to believe its a FAT32 issue limiting it. Anybody have any thoughts?

bcharrold

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:52:06 AM »
Okay... for those still reading me work through my issues, after much panic and many attempts at different fixes, I noticed that when I opened disk utility, the card was reading as a 4.11gb card when in actuality, my cards that were experiencing the problem are 16 and 32. I formatted them again and replugged in and saw the same numbers. Then I read somewhere that it could be an issue with the reader. I unplugged the reader and switched the firewire 800 cable (sandisk fw800 reader), put the card back in and it sees all the images that were missing before and also reads the right size in disk utility. *sigh of relief*

I hope this helps someone in the future.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:52:06 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 12:52:33 AM »
are you making sure you are formating the cards in camera?
SD allow you to do a low level format. not sure why the option isnt available for the CF
tried both CF and or SD?
APS-H Fanboy

bcharrold

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 03:24:37 AM »
yes, always have formatted in camera and the only issue was on the CF cards. Had a Mark II for 3 years and numerous cameras before that without any issues. It was the reader/cable that was the issue though.

liberace

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 08:07:53 AM »
There is zero advantage in formatting the CF or any other card in camera. As a former Software Engineer this pains me greatly when I read people saying this.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 11:10:30 AM »
Some quick thoughts... I dont use lightroom so bear with me... but when you pull the card from the camera into a card reader, do you physically see all the extra files?  Are the file size roughly identical to the prior ones?  If the files are dead/bad/corrupt, you may be able to see a file size noticeable difference of maybe half the size or even no size.  It may be a bug with lightroom being able to handle extra files from that much.  Also are you OPENING ALL the files at once or just storing in a catalog/library?  If so it may be your computer is maxing out on memory and not able to open the files... If it's just transferring files from the card to the computer, nothing else nothing more, then I'd be worried.  Lastly, try dragging the files from your card to your computer... if there's a problem, the computer may either not copy or copy with no info... Give that a try and let us know. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

bcharrold

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 03:10:57 PM »
There is zero advantage in formatting the CF or any other card in camera. As a former Software Engineer this pains me greatly when I read people saying this.
Then what do you suggest, just to erase them every time? Doesn't that leave all the folders. I can tell you I have had more issues with just deleting/trashing images than with formatting in camera ever. This time was a fluke and the issue had to do with the reader, not the card. From a software engineer on another photo website: "Formatting the card is faster than erasing all images on the card. And if you only clear your CF card using erase all, you may see a performance degradation." All the consensus I've seen has been to format.

Some quick thoughts... I dont use lightroom so bear with me... but when you pull the card from the camera into a card reader, do you physically see all the extra files?  Are the file size roughly identical to the prior ones?  If the files are dead/bad/corrupt, you may be able to see a file size noticeable difference of maybe half the size or even no size.  It may be a bug with lightroom being able to handle extra files from that much.  Also are you OPENING ALL the files at once or just storing in a catalog/library?  If so it may be your computer is maxing out on memory and not able to open the files... If it's just transferring files from the card to the computer, nothing else nothing more, then I'd be worried.  Lastly, try dragging the files from your card to your computer... if there's a problem, the computer may either not copy or copy with no info... Give that a try and let us know. 
If you read my posts, I figured it out. The issue was with the firewire cable attached to my card reader. The cable wasn't connecting properly to the reading, so the card was for some reason reading that it was only 4.11gb on my mac and therefore could not read the images that were beyond that size. In other words, the computer could only read the first 4.11gb worth of images (approximately 160 or so) and the rest of the images were there, but could not be read or copied. Fixing the cable fixed the problem.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 11:52:52 PM »

Partly true, formatting CF Cards in camera will not clear any issues with damaged sectors in the card, a full erase or format in a computer will fix them or mark them as unusable.  However, a follow up formatting in camera assures that you get the correct file format after you erase a card.  The 5D MK III switches to a different format depending on the size of your CF card, and your computer might not be able to do that. The 5D MK III uses exFat for 128gb and larger cards and Fat for smaller ones.

You can do a low level format in camera for SD type cards, so formatting in camera of SD cards is the right thing to do.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 11:52:52 PM »

iangrantphoto

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 11:44:38 PM »
I'm actually seeing the same thing with my cards, already had a number of corrupt files [spit out as pink gibberish on the LCD].  Very odd.  I probably got a good hundred thousand shots on my 5dm2 and very rarely ever saw one.  On 2 8gb cards today saw at least 5.  Formatted each card as usual in camera before shooting.  -Ian

adamr

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »
I got my 5D3 last Friday and took few hundred photos with no issues.  Today I took ~200 photos and 3 of them in a row were corrupted.  Lightroom 4.1 could read 2 of the 3 but chunks of the photos were missing.  It wouldn't read the 3rd.

DPP could read them but they were blocky/pixellated (like they had been reduced to a small size and then blown up).  It could not export them to jpg. 

This was with firmware v1.1.3

Attached is an example of the jpg output from Lightroom 4.1 and a crop of what Canon DPP shows me for the same file. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »