May 27, 2016, 06:19:39 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III File Issues  (Read 12000 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Zeiss 50mm F 0.7
Re: 5D Mark III File Issues
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »
I got my 5D3 last Friday and took few hundred photos with no issues.  Today I took ~200 photos and 3 of them in a row were corrupted.  Lightroom 4.1 could read 2 of the 3 but chunks of the photos were missing.  It wouldn't read the 3rd.

DPP could read them but they were blocky/pixellated (like they had been reduced to a small size and then blown up).  It could not export them to jpg. 

This was with firmware v1.1.3

Attached is an example of the jpg output from Lightroom 4.1 and a crop of what Canon DPP shows me for the same file.

It sounds like corrupted download, did you use a card reader?  Try downloading them from the camera.

The image is blocky because DPP is showing the tiny jpeg thumbnail that is embeded in every raw image, but the main image is corrupted.

The usual cause of this is a bad card or a error in downloading using a card reader.

Try it from the camera, do a chkdisk on the card to check for bad sectors, try a different card reader or at least a different USB cable.

good Luck!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »

sanderW

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 07:23:39 AM »
I recognize this problem. I had the same issue with my initial 5D mark III. After a few 100 photos or so, I had these corrupt raw files. Pure randomly, with the same pattern as your example. (jpeg preview in the raw file was fine, raw data was corrupt. Mostly the lower right corner of the photo).

Tests I did were:
- use other CF cards
- try different readers
- reformat the cards
- firmware update

In the end I came to the conclusion that it must be the camera. I brought it back to the shop and they gave me a new 5DIII. That solved the problem.

I got my 5D3 last Friday and took few hundred photos with no issues.  Today I took ~200 photos and 3 of them in a row were corrupted.  Lightroom 4.1 could read 2 of the 3 but chunks of the photos were missing.  It wouldn't read the 3rd.

DPP could read them but they were blocky/pixellated (like they had been reduced to a small size and then blown up).  It could not export them to jpg. 

This was with firmware v1.1.3

Attached is an example of the jpg output from Lightroom 4.1 and a crop of what Canon DPP shows me for the same file.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 07:26:01 AM by sanderW »

Deb

• Canonflex
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 12:42:46 AM »
I just bought a Mark III 5d and up to this point, I have been shooting JPEGs.  I have a big shoot tomorrow and will be shooting in RAW.  I tried shooting a few RAW images tonight and I too am having problems importing to Lightroom.  I cannot import to Photoshop Elements 10 either.  I am wondering if there's a camera setting that I need to adjust?

rolsskk

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 01:59:43 PM »
I just tried a new card freshly formatted several times and it has done the same thing every time. It seems to be stopping  around 160 files before the images are no good anymore, which, when calculated out, equals around 4GBs of images. This leads me to believe its a FAT32 issue limiting it. Anybody have any thoughts?
My thoughts - you're completely wrong about FAT32 being related to it, as you're not producing any files of signifigant size. FAT32 comes into play when you want transfer one file of a large size, but not multiple files that amount to a large file size.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Zeiss 50mm F 0.7
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »
I just bought a Mark III 5d and up to this point, I have been shooting JPEGs.  I have a big shoot tomorrow and will be shooting in RAW.  I tried shooting a few RAW images tonight and I too am having problems importing to Lightroom.  I cannot import to Photoshop Elements 10 either.  I am wondering if there's a camera setting that I need to adjust?
Dep, you need to have editing software that supports the 5D MK III.  The latest version of lightroom 4 will, you might need to install updates for Elements 10.

You have excellent editing software that came with the camera, DPP.  It can open the images and send them to older Lightroom versions as tiff files where you can edit them using familiar tools.

simon

• Canonflex
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 05:44:34 PM »
I have experienced the same issues twice now, on both CF and SD cards... The only way to recover these corrupt images are to copy the images in camera onto a fresh card. When the copies are created in camera they are completely readable and editable... This is not a software issue, its a camera issue, rectified by taking it back to when you've purchased it for a new replacements... Seems only to be when shooting RAW files...

Not a good experience for me after switching from Nikon :-(

tron

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 09:27:51 PM »
There is zero advantage in formatting the CF or any other card in camera. As a former Software Engineer this pains me greatly when I read people saying this.

Partly true, formatting CF Cards in camera will not clear any issues with damaged sectors in the card, a full erase or format in a computer will fix them or mark them as unusable.  However, a follow up formatting in camera assures that you get the correct file format after you erase a card.  The 5D MK III switches to a different format depending on the size of your CF card, and your computer might not be able to do that. The 5D MK III uses exFat for 128gb and larger cards and Fat for smaller ones.

You can do a low level format in camera for SD type cards, so formatting in camera of SD cards is the right thing to do.
Allow me to use your post as an excuse to ask a technical question about 5DMkIII instead of opening a new thread:

You mentioned: The 5D MK III uses exFat for 128gb and larger cards and Fat for smaller ones.

Actually the manual of 5DIII (with firmware 1.2.0 and later) page 54 says: Cards with 128GB or lower capacity will be formatted in FAT format. Cards with a capacity over 128GB will be formatted in exFAT format. HOWEVER, I am not writing this to contradict you. I understand that the second version of the manual is late.  I just observed something even different in my case. Both of my 5D3 cameras (firmware 1.2.3) format a 64GB CF card in FAT32 and a 64GB SD card in exFAT !!!!

Have you observed anything similar? I would prefer FAT32 for backing them to my hyperdrive which cannot understand FAT32 even with latest firmware (I have 2 hyperdrive models, they are enough and I do not intend to get the latst which understands them).

I have access to a utility that format's cards in FAT32 and I can create the file structure manually. But I prefer to format cards in camera. I also use MagicLantern and I wouldn't like to complicate things.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:35:36 PM by tron »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 09:27:51 PM »

kaihp

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 08:46:04 AM »
I just observed something even different in my case. Both of my 5D3 cameras (firmware 1.2.3) format a 64GB CF card in FAT32 and a 64GB SD card in exFAT !!!!

Have you observed anything similar?

I can confirm that my 64GB SDXC card was formatted with exFAT in 5D3.
I don't have a 64GB CF card, so I am unable to test this.

tron

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 05:50:43 PM »
I just observed something even different in my case. Both of my 5D3 cameras (firmware 1.2.3) format a 64GB CF card in FAT32 and a 64GB SD card in exFAT !!!!

Have you observed anything similar?

I can confirm that my 64GB SDXC card was formatted with exFAT in 5D3.
I don't have a 64GB CF card, so I am unable to test this.
Thanks for answering. I guess I will have to use the CF for backups in my hyperdrive.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 05:50:43 PM »