September 21, 2014, 04:14:17 AM

Author Topic: 1DX & Mark III focusing with 3rd party lenses  (Read 1083 times)

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
1DX & Mark III focusing with 3rd party lenses
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »
After reading some of the details of the new focus systems, it is apparent that the sensitive dual cross type center focus point only works with most f/2.8 and faster lenses. Canon specifies which Canon lenses this will apply to but I wonder if it will also support 3rd party lenses. I typically get all Canon lenses but I have been considering the future Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD since Canon does not have a stabilized 24-70mm f/2.8. I really want the IS for use with video mostly and it would be nice to shoot indoor at slower shutter speeds. I was wishing the new Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II was stabilized but given the fact that it is not and the outrageous price for a non IS lens, I doubt we will ever see one. Cropped bodies have a stabilized f/2.8 wide zoom and it sucks that Canon has nothing given the use of video. Just wondering if going to a 3rd party f/2.8 lens is going to render the awesome new sensitive dual cross center focus point useless.

canon rumors FORUM

1DX & Mark III focusing with 3rd party lenses
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX & Mark III focusing with 3rd party lenses
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »
Just wondering if going to a 3rd party f/2.8 lens is going to render the awesome new sensitive dual cross center focus point useless.

The Canon 24-70 only activates the center one of the five dual crosses, and that may be the case for the Tamron 24-70 as well.

It's most likely going to depend on how Tamron reverse-engineers (aka spoofs) the AF system.  In the past, 3rd party vendors have used lens codes from old Canon lenses as the IDs for their lenses - this got Tamron into trouble previously, when Canon discontinued support for some very old lenses for which newer Tamron lenses used those codes, resulting in off-center cross-type points not functioning properly with those lenses on 40D/50D/60D/7D bodies. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:32:11 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

scottcognato

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:09:42 PM »
when Canon discontinued support for some very old lenses for which newer Tamron lenses used those codes, resulting in off-center cross-type points not functioning properly with those lenses on 40D/50D/60D/7D bodies.

That's why if I am having a really hard time justifying the extra $ for an L lens, I buy used. It usually brings the prices into more comparable territory, and I always feel like the an L is a better long term investment than a 3rd party lens. Just my 2 cents, though.

-Scott

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
That's why if I am having a really hard time justifying the extra $ for an L lens, I buy used. It usually brings the prices into more comparable territory, and I always feel like the an L is a better long term investment than a 3rd party lens. Just my 2 cents, though.
The Canon lenses are almost always a better long term investment and resale is normally better. However, given that Canon does not and likely will not have a full frame 24-70 f/2.8 IS or anything close to it, this will probably be a popular Tamron lens given that it performs well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »