October 25, 2014, 09:56:32 PM

Author Topic: Anyone shooting film?  (Read 8354 times)

SandyP

Re: Anyone shooting film?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 04:29:19 PM »
@ RLPhoto: Agreed! Will look for Canon film cameras so I can use glass on both film & digital. Thanks!
@ SandyP: Do you have a website where we can see those pics you take? And about medium format, too big a step for me as a beginner right now... :)
@ BillyBean and 7enderbender: will develop my own b&w then!

www.sandyphimester.com

that's by main website, if you go through over a few pages (at the bottom of the main page you'll see "previous posts") you'll end up seeing a few things I've shot on film recently (A lot of film I shoot doesn't go on my websites).

But there's lots there that I like.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 04:29:19 PM »

DanielW

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 04:50:40 PM »
@SandyP: wow! Really amazing! I just hope the 35 mm camera I buy takes pics like those... LOL

DigitalDivide

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 05:29:18 PM »
I've been lurking here for about 4 months.  This thread finally tempted me to make my first post :)

I've been shooting film since I was about 10, like many here I'd guess.  In 1991 I bought an EOS 10S, and I was still actively using it when I finally took the plunge into digital and bought a 5D2 a couple months back.  I've had to replace the shutter on the 10S once for around $150, but other than that it has been absolutely 100% reliable.

As an amateur shooting maybe 20-30 rolls of slide film annually, my costs were low enough that I found it hard to justify the leap to digital, especially since I really wanted to stick with FF.  For a long time I made do with inexpensive lenses but in recent years I gradually started to invest in some decent glass (within a somewhat limited budget, so sticking to the cheaper L lenses).  I didn't want to have to start over with EF-S lenses.

What finally convinced me to get the 5D2 was that I was looking at investing in a new L lens, and had settled on the 24-105 F4L.  I realized that if I bought it as part of the 5D2 kit that effectively meant I was getting the 5D2 body for about $1800 (lucky I pulled the trigger before the price went back up).  That's equivalent to about 3 years of film costs for me, and that was enough to overcome my fear of owning a worthless outdated body when the new version came out :o  Maybe I'm paranoid, but I certainly don't see may people keeping a 5D for 20 years and not feeling the need to upgrade, like I was able to do with the 10S 8)

So now I have taken a couple thousand pics on the 5D2 and I'm still learning how to get the best out of it.  I really love this camera (and the kit lens too), but it is clear that it will take some time for me to adapt to the digital paradigm.  Yeah, it is great that I can shoot thousands of frames without any film costs, and I'm trying to take advantage of that to learn how to take better pictures.  But oddly, the ability to see the shot right away instead of waiting a couple weeks for developing, I find is actually not as liberating as I thought.  Yes, I can check that it is sharp, composed and exposed right, but I actually find myself spending too much time second guessing, trying to get the perfect shot when with film I would shoot two or three frames and forget it.  Either I got the shot or I didn't, but I worry about that later.  I guess this will become less of a problem as I get the camera set up for the way I shoot and get used to it.

The relevant question here is will I continue to shoot film?  I think I might, after the honeymoon period with the 5D2, but only for certain subjects.  There really is something about film that digital can't quite match, even though it has come a long way and surpasses 35mm in many respects.  I also have a pretty comprehensive selection of Bronica ETRSi equipment which I have made far too little use of.  I may decide to use that for my film shooting and the 5D2 otherwise.  I have a good selection of macro gear for the Bronica and would like to give it a proper try.

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 05:38:11 PM »
A colleague of mine in Korea, works incredibly hard.  She is often shy around a camera, but will occasionally pose

Pentax 645n Pentax FA 645 75mm at f/4.5 1/90 Fuji Reala 100

Mijeong does pose occassionally! by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Pentax 645n FA 75 at f/4 1/125 Fuji Reala 100

Mijeong smiles again! by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 05:47:41 PM »
Sure, I shoot loads of film. I have an EOS 3 and an EOS 5, both of which take EF lenses just like a modern EOS camera. And the flash works too...

The EOS 3 in particular is a fantastic camera - full frame (of course!), eye control focus, weather sealed, 8 fps, a real delight - and all for about £100 or maybe $150, on eBay !

I use a Nikon negative scanner, and then Lightroom 4 and Nik plugins, and have all the joy of digital post-process workflow...

Maybe you can the same effects with digital, and I do use a DSLR too, but somehow, you just KNOW that you have black and white film in the body, and it somehow alters your perception. Likewise, a bit of Fuji Velvia 50 for landscape or Portra for portraits. Superb.

The thing is, with 36 exposures, you have to THINK about what you are doing.

I also have a Mamiya RZ67 (medium format, 6x7 negative), which I use occasionally, but not so much joy with that yet - much tougher to use, more demanding, and harder to scan well. Manual focus, manual exposure, and a beast to lug around. I'll get there one day...

Aiming for a 5D3 later this year.
I actually bought a second hand EOS 3 to try out Velvia and Sensia, as well as try out the f/8 AF, but some of the early scans on my Nikon scanner were pretty soft and quite noisy. Now there is the compatibility issue with Windows 7 and 64 bit, so I haven't fully tried the experiment I'd originally intended. I since got a sturdier tripod (mainly for my 300 f/2.8, but it's also better for landscapes) and have found a company that can process the film and offers a value for money high resolution scan, so I need to look into it again.
I also still have my old Zenith 11 from the early 80's, unfortunately, it doesn't have mirror lockup, which was why I started looking for other options, plus I could then use my L glass on the EOS 3 for better image quality.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:56:18 PM by Kernuak »
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

sanyasi

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »
I just purchased my first film camera--medium format Hasselblad (used) and a couple of lenses.  Shot my first four rolls last weekend.  I am in enrolled in a film development class that will give me easy access to a darkroom. 

I love digital and will continue to use it extensively.  However, my sense after much discussion with others more in the know than I was that the black and white results with film would be very different.

What I discovered last weekend was the pleasure of working slower.  I set up one shot.  Knowing that I would waste one of my 12 shots on the roll and have to pay to develop it (the class is not for another couple of weeks), I decided to walk away when I realized the shot just wasn't what I wanted.  Had I had a digital camera, I would have forced it--taking 40 shots that I would not have been happy with.  No meter in the camera or autofocus on the lens.  Not even a battery in the camera.  Very primal.  And I love the slap of the mirror.

Should be an interesting experience.

daveheinzel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • daveheinzel.com
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »
I love this thread! I'm 34 and have been shooting digital for about 10 years. Last year I bought a used Canon EOS 3 and have been shooting Ilford b&w HP5 alongside digital. I develop my own film and then scan the negatives using a new Plustek scanner (which is tolerable) and scanning software that is horrendous. But once I have the files on my computer, they're great.

I never shoot color, just black and white. Along with grain and contrast that (arguably) cannot be reproduced with digital photos, there's just something extremely enjoyable about the whole film process.

Here's an album of misc film scans from a few weeks ago:
http://daveheinzel.com/?id=2_64

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 06:54:01 PM »
Notice the tonality and colour gradients between formats.

Medium format film:

Medium Format digital:

Canon 1Ds3:

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:55:35 PM by wockawocka »
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

slinky

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 07:01:27 PM »
My favourite photo ever taken of me

papa-razzi

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »
I have a pentax K-1000 that I got back in '82.  I have pulled it out and started playing with it, because I don't have a Full Frame digital camera.  I was quite excited at first, but then .....

I tried to find a place to get a roll of film developed.  No luck. I ended up at a local pharmacy and it took 2 weeks to come back, and the prints were awful. 

I found a decent lab on-line (thedarkroom.com), so I am going to try again.  But, at $10/roll to develop and the cost of film, it could get costly.  (I have gotten used to taking lots of shots during a shoot with digital, maybe bad habit)

For me it will be a novelty.  I don't think film is better or worse, just different, and kind of cool now that the world is increasingly digital.  But I personally wouldn't shoot film more than just on occasion.

I agree with the comments about scanning film and printing digital.  If you do that, you are only 1/2 way doing film - but I guess it is more practical for most people to do that.
6D | 7D  | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM |
EF 35mm f/2 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8

DanielW

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »
@ DigitalDivide: It was an honor to be the one responsible for your first post! :)

DanielW

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 07:33:05 PM »
@ wockawocka: nice lighting!

adamoe

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 07:42:51 PM »
hah-  i have a Hasselblad 503c .. its hard to find film for it sometimes but its fun to shoot with, plus.. a ton of old people always come up to you when you're walking around with a camera like that telling you their life stories..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 07:42:51 PM »

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »
I brought both my 645D and 645N with me on my 19 day long trip to Korea. Using primarily colour film, a mixture of Fuji Reala 100 and Fuji Pro 160S.  I found a Kodak express around the corner to develop and scan them, and am pretty happy with the results especially as they charged me the equivalent of £17.50 ($28) to develop and scan 7 rolls of 120 film.  It costs me more than £10 at home to get 1 film done, albeit black and white!

These are from Jeju island again, off the south coast of Korea.

This is looking from Udo coral beach to Jeju, and Mount Halla

Pentax 645N 55-110 at 110mm f/16 1/25  Fuji Pro 160S

mount halla from udo island by thesingingsnapper, on Flickr

Back on Jeju itself and the temple. 

Pentax 645N Pentax FA 645 33-55mm @ 33mm and f/11 1/45 Fuji Reala 100

Jeju temple, Korea by thesingingsnapper, on Flickr

Pentax 645N FA 33-55mm at 45mm and f/11 1/60  Fuji Reala 100

Jeju temple dragon, Korea by thesingingsnapper, on Flickr

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »
Someone mentioned full frame earlier, if you ever wanted to get the same feeling as using a crop sensor on film, there is always the EOS IX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_IX

Just joking around with that. Anyway, where are most people getting their film developed? Pro lab? Or just Target/Walmart, etc etc ....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:48:57 PM by mws »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »