October 25, 2014, 11:21:54 AM

Author Topic: Anyone shooting film?  (Read 8345 times)

Orion

Re: Anyone shooting film?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
I still need to get my hands on a 80mm for my Mamiya C330 ProF. . . . I plan on taking it along on the wedding shoot this April to get in at least 2 portraits with it, after I complete the major stuff with the mkIII. If anybody has extensive experieince with this system, any last minute pointers/opinions on mechanics, I am all ears. . . . I have an amazing composition in mind for the shoot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2012, 08:15:45 PM »
I always wish I'd make more time to shoot film. It's a wonderfully slow process from composition to final image (especially on an all manual RZII) but I have to be in the right mood to do it right. Not to mention, it's so gratifying to do everything by myself.

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2012, 09:00:10 PM »
I shot a roll of film last year...   ::)

"Overexposed"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43086792@N03/6825398072/#in/pool-1011842@N20/
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2012, 09:15:43 PM »
If you have some good canon glass, why not pick up an inexpensive film body?  Today's lenses generally do great with the film bodies of ureter year.

sanyasi

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2012, 10:14:32 PM »
hah-  i have a Hasselblad 503c .. its hard to find film for it sometimes but its fun to shoot with, plus.. a ton of old people always come up to you when you're walking around with a camera like that telling you their life stories..

It's not just old people. My Hasselblad (I've owned it for 12 days) is a real magnet.  People just stop dead in their tracks.

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »
Just bought another EOS-3 off ebay for under $200.USD (mint condition).

re-BOOT, Brooklyn NY by Philip DiResta, on Flickr
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

AndysRollei

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2012, 11:12:50 PM »
Hello all, this is a very appropriate topic for myself. I am currently in a black and white class at school so I get to shoot, develop and print in the darkroom, and it has turned out to be the best thing I have ever learned, so far. I actual have more film cameras than digital. Nikon F's FM, Pentax, Argus, Fujica, Canon rebel SII, Brownie box camera and a few others.

My two main film cameras (like my user name might suggest) are two Rolleiflex TLR's, one being a 2.8E3 (80mm) and the other the 'Tele'-Rollei (135mm), that I use almost daily. They were my great uncle's cameras when he was a production photographer in Hollywood back in the day (50s-80s), and he used them to shoot on some very famous movies.

sanyasi wrote:
It's not just old people. My Hasselblad (I've owned it for 12 days) is a real magnet.  People just stop dead in their tracks.

I get a lot of looks with my Rolleiflex cameras too, I even had someone ask if it was a 3D camera because it has two lenses lol.

Andy
More film cameras than digital.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2012, 11:12:50 PM »

Pyrenees

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2012, 11:47:24 PM »
Let's not fall into the 'if I don't understand it, it must be dangerous' model of thinking, please!!

No, I fall in the 'read the msds and take note that the chemical composition of fixer and developer are known carcinogens' model of thinking.

Mikedurg

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2012, 12:59:24 AM »
Just got my first film camera last week. A friend gave me a Canon AT-1 with a 50mm f/1.4scc. Took me forever to figure out how to open the darn thing ;D couldn't wait to get it cleaned up. After getting it all nice and shiny, the first photo I took I looked directly at the back of the camera expecting to see an LCD screen :o  hoping to buy some FD mount lenses on eBay. Any recommendations on what I should seek out or be wary of with specific lenses. Thanks

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2012, 01:30:17 AM »
i picked up a canon elan 7 for around $100 it can use all EF lenses has AF and can use the 580 flashes too
its quite cool to keep around usually loaded white some b&w
APS-H Fanboy

SandyP

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2012, 02:09:34 AM »
For you folks who are shooting 35mm film, if you haven't..... you should really be getting into medium format! It's too awesome! 35mm feels too small, Shoot some 6x7 format stuff, oh my god. Amazing.

Here are a few favs from last year, the one black and white in the studio (head shot) is PanF+ ISO 50 film, and the other black and white (is actually a behind the scenes shot) is Tri-X 400.

The color ones are Fuji Pro 160s (Bench shot) and Kodak Portra VC 400 (roof top).

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:15:36 AM by SandyP »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2012, 02:16:45 AM »
For you folks who are shooting 35mm film, if you haven't..... you should really be getting into medium format! It's too awesome! 35mm feels too small, Shoot some 6x7 format stuff, oh my god. Amazing.

Here are a few favs from last year, the one black and white in the studio (head shot) is PanF+ ISO 50 film, and the other black and white (is actually a behind the scenes shot) is Tri-X 400.

The color ones are Fuji Pro 160s (Bench shot) and Kodak Portra VC 400 (roof top).
i nearly bought a mamiya a few weeks ago but it went for more than i wanted to pay in ebay :(
APS-H Fanboy

SandyP

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2012, 02:24:12 AM »

i nearly bought a mamiya a few weeks ago but it went for more than i wanted to pay in ebay :(

www.keh.com is the place to be!!! fair prices and pretty accurate gear assessments/ratings.

I have a 645 and a 6x7, I love both. Next up is a C330f (a 6x6 Mamiya, twin lens reflex camera).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2012, 02:24:12 AM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2012, 02:29:23 AM »

www.keh.com is the place to be!!! fair prices and pretty accurate gear assessments/ratings.

I have a 645 and a 6x7, I love both. Next up is a C330f (a 6x6 Mamiya, twin lens reflex camera).
do you do your own developing? In don't really have anywhere to setup a dark room, in the process of building a studio at home though and the labs charge sooo much to develop film
APS-H Fanboy

SandyP

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2012, 02:31:34 AM »
I do not do my own developing. I have a friend or two that do black and white for me sometimes, but color always gets sent out. It's expensive yes, but I never care about what the cost is, for me it seems worth it in many ways. Unfortunate I suppose, about the costs, but it's really not that bad. Another reason to slow down and make every shot great.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2012, 02:31:34 AM »