July 30, 2014, 07:15:14 AM

Author Topic: How many actuations on your Canons?  (Read 10475 times)

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
Re: How many actuations on your Canons?
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
7D - 75,000 Actuations

5Dc - 160,000 Acutations  :o - Its bound to die soon, and I'll Mourn it...

Hmmm, Should I send in the 5D to CPS for repair or Does that 5D3 look more attractive?
Selling your 5d is like selling a child, dont sell it! Buy a 5d3 when you get the cash but the 5d Classic is still better than any new camera below the 5d3 level IMO.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:14:48 PM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »
On May 6th, next month i will shoot approx. 10,000 images in that day alone. I have a marathon to shoot and hired 5 other guys that usually bring in 7-10,000 also. There are around 8,000 participants and we try to get 2 or 3 of each person if possible. Of course we miss people but we try.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »
I am over 10,000 actuations with my 7D. I use the EOScount.com utility

Btw After I reached 9999.CR2 the filenaming started all over from 0001. I really HATE that.
Is there a way to change that or not?

If you're using Aperture or LR, have the masters renamed to your preferred naming convention (including date, time and original file name/#)

I do not have LR or Aperture.

The naming convention made me think:

Currently files are named "Img_xxxx.CR2"
  That is 8 positions - dot - 3 positions. This exist from the Microsoft DOS period.
I assume that if I skip on the "Img_" there will be 4 additional character spaces that can be filled with a number. Theoratically it should allow 10001.CR2 and later 100001.CR2 and later 1000001.CR and if the camera would allow it even 10000001.CR2
Or....am I wrong in this assumption?

Even if you do not use LR or Aperture the naming convention should not be a problem. But if you use EOS utility then the following method should help.

Open EOS utility
Click on "Preferences" button at the bottom of the dialogue window.
Select "File Name" Tab
Click on the button which probably has "Do not Modify (Download Images)" a drop down list will appear.
You have four options to choose from.
I prefer the last "Shooting Date+Prefix+Number". But it depends on your preference.
Now you can play with the "Customize" button, number of digits, start etc. You are no longer limited by the camera's numbering system.
See what options suits your needs and what you like.
Save these preferences and then when you download your images they will be names according to your choices.
You can also change the destination folder to download the images in the first tab.

Hope this helps.

Great! Thanks for your help. I just didn't explore the EOS utility in that way. Sloppy of me!
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

Positron

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2012, 01:39:14 PM »

That is 8 positions - dot - 3 positions. This exist from the Microsoft DOS period.
I assume that if I skip on the "Img_" there will be 4 additional character spaces that can be filled with a number. Theoratically it should allow 10001.CR2 and later 100001.CR2 and later 1000001.CR and if the camera would allow it even 10000001.CR2

You're almost correct. The reason that they are named IMG_xxxx.CR2 is indeed an archaism from the DOS days when files were limited to 8 bytes of name and 3 bytes of extension. However, that restriction exists only as an archaism/compatibility issue, and therefore, there's practically no limit to what you can rename your files. Older versions of Windows allowed names and extensions up to 255 characters each, and I believe newer versions, as well as modern Mac and Linux implementations, allow even more than that, so for practical purposes you can rename the file whatever you want.

There's a side-issue at work here, which is that due to long-entrenched standards, CF and SD both use FAT (usually 32, occasionally 16) for their file system. These exceptionally old filesystems (FAT16 was finalized in 1984, positively ancient by computing standards) are basically still used because they work and the industry is allergic to change. They do allow longer filenames than 8 characters, but because of the way they are represented internally, file corruption is not impossible if you use names longer than that, and they're more interested in being reliable than being pretty. It's also cheaper since the firmware backbone to deal with it already exists. If they switched to a modern file system like ext4 or even NTFS, all of these issues would evaporate, and it would become trivial to add to the firmware options to let you format your filenames however you please, so the camera would be able to let you do something like Positron_[YYYYMMDD]_[shuttercount].cr2 or whatever else you wanted.

The reason they don't do this is because they haven't done it yet, and if a new camera supported ext4, anyone who used it would have a card incompatible with any camera before it, people would try to put their card into the other camera, it would say it needs to be formatted, and they'd lose shots since they'd need to find and format a card without pictures on it already, assuming they even have one. And then they'd complain, and Canon would look bad for trying to make a step into the future.

Bottom line: When you're trying to make money, sometimes you have to do things that are patently retarded to keep your competitive edge.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2012, 01:41:17 PM »
Related question only less technical:

How many pictures per event does all this translate to? I don't do any this for a living but have been covering several events lately. Mostly live music and fundraisers etc.
I figure that I shoot about 500 pictures per event of which 100 or so make it into a final selection for processing and for the client to use and/or pick from.

And even if I did one of those once a week it would only come out to 26,000 actuations per year. My 5DII is now two years old and has about 9000 or so actuations on it. It's like brand new. And to me it feels like I have used it a lot. Maybe it's coming more or less directly from film. But I can't get myself just clicking away.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
Related question only less technical:

How many pictures per event does all this translate to? I don't do any this for a living but have been covering several events lately. Mostly live music and fundraisers etc.
I figure that I shoot about 500 pictures per event of which 100 or so make it into a final selection for processing and for the client to use and/or pick from.

And even if I did one of those once a week it would only come out to 26,000 actuations per year. My 5DII is now two years old and has about 9000 or so actuations on it. It's like brand new. And to me it feels like I have used it a lot. Maybe it's coming more or less directly from film. But I can't get myself just clicking away.

Let's say I do some photoshoots per week. 1000 photos all together per week and that times 52 weeks is 52,000 photos a year. That over a 3 year life of a camera is about 150,000 shutter actuations.

It can add up quickly over time.

DHL1313

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 11:29:27 PM »
2008 50D 68,000
2007 40D 11,000

40D shutter count worked fine on a mac

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 11:29:27 PM »

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 12:52:00 AM »

You're almost correct. The reason that they are named IMG_xxxx.CR2 is indeed an archaism from the DOS days when files were limited to 8 bytes of name and 3 bytes of extension. However, that restriction exists only as an archaism/compatibility issue, and therefore, there's practically no limit to what you can rename your files. Older versions of Windows allowed names and extensions up to 255 characters each, and I believe newer versions, as well as modern Mac and Linux implementations, allow even more than that, so for practical purposes you can rename the file whatever you want.

There's a side-issue at work here, which is that due to long-entrenched standards, CF and SD both use FAT (usually 32, occasionally 16) for their file system. These exceptionally old filesystems (FAT16 was finalized in 1984, positively ancient by computing standards) are basically still used because they work and the industry is allergic to change. They do allow longer filenames than 8 characters, but because of the way they are represented internally, file corruption is not impossible if you use names longer than that, and they're more interested in being reliable than being pretty. It's also cheaper since the firmware backbone to deal with it already exists. If they switched to a modern file system like ext4 or even NTFS, all of these issues would evaporate, and it would become trivial to add to the firmware options to let you format your filenames however you please, so the camera would be able to let you do something like Positron_[YYYYMMDD]_[shuttercount].cr2 or whatever else you wanted.

The reason they don't do this is because they haven't done it yet, and if a new camera supported ext4, anyone who used it would have a card incompatible with any camera before it, people would try to put their card into the other camera, it would say it needs to be formatted, and they'd lose shots since they'd need to find and format a card without pictures on it already, assuming they even have one. And then they'd complain, and Canon would look bad for trying to make a step into the future.

Bottom line: When you're trying to make money, sometimes you have to do things that are patently retarded to keep your competitive edge.

Ok. Just a check: so if I name my files: [shooting date][prefix][number (6 digits)].CR2 is that too long with risk of filecorruption or damage to the memorycard? Especially shooting AI-servo 8fps?

5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

prestonpalmer

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 01:00:54 AM »
On May 6th, next month i will shoot approx. 10,000 images in that day alone. I have a marathon to shoot and hired 5 other guys that usually bring in 7-10,000 also. There are around 8,000 participants and we try to get 2 or 3 of each person if possible. Of course we miss people but we try.

Yikes. That's A LOT of photos!!!

Positron

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2012, 02:06:47 AM »

Ok. Just a check: so if I name my files: [shooting date][prefix][number (6 digits)].CR2 is that too long with risk of filecorruption or damage to the memorycard? Especially shooting AI-servo 8fps?

There's no risk once the images are off the card, and there's no way to set the camera to write the filenames like that while they're still on the card, so no. The only risk I could think of is if you had more than 999,999 such images and put them all on one card at the same time (which is when the card would no longer be able to tell them apart and you'd get corruption).

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »
Remind me never to buy a body from any of you. :)

phemark

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »
Exactly my thoughts :D - although they will look perfect and well kept (probably :) ) on the outside, in the inside shutter has done a billion ups and downs :D

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »
5d2 bought in July 2010. Less than 8,000 actuations!!

It is practically new!! If I change over to D800, someone will be getting a flawless camera for a REAL BARGAIN!!

All my gear is well taken care of. There's no doubt that DSLR would last me 10 solid years. Great quality. Heck, I met a guy who used his 5d2 for wildlife shooting and it was so beat up the LCD had glass chunks missing on two of the outer edges!! I shot it a little (before I bought mine) and that wonderful Canon 5d shutter sound was still perfect. I'm willing to bet he had 150,000+ actuations on that camera!!
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2012, 08:10:22 PM »
My old XSi was at about 50k last time I checked.  And my 60D is somewhere north of 30k (I haven't actually checked the count, but the file numbering recently rolled over a third time).

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 01:09:36 AM »
LOL! I tried parting with my 1dm3 to get another 5dm3 but i couldn't get enough for it and it is a heck of a lot more valuable to me than some shmo asking how many actuations before buying it haha. Beside The internals getting replaced pretty much means new every time because my body has minimal scuffing, looks new cept the bottom where i used to attach my monopod, now i use a RRS plate and Tilt head. All the buttons and dials are D series quality, still about as snappy and responsive as when i bought it new in 2007. :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 01:09:36 AM »