August 28, 2014, 07:37:38 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & Other Random Stuff  (Read 20855 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
5D Mark III & Other Random Stuff
« on: January 30, 2011, 09:46:43 PM »

5D Mark III

Lots of 5D Mark III stuff is coming to the surface now.

Over at DPR a post that was identical to an email I received, it uses the “I was told by insert retailer/rep” that the 5D Mark III would be coming in March. There’s lots of things coming in March from Canon, none of which I think are the 5D Mark III.

Here’s the thing about Canon Reps, if Canon USA or Canon Canada or any other Canon subsidiary tells their reps to deny healthy grass is green according to their NDA, they will do so. I know reps that have slipped up, but they do it by accident, they don’t offer information.

Whenever a Canon rep knows who I am at a trade show, I’m always told me about the 125mp 5D Mark VIII and the G17 with an MF sensor.

RAW Video

NL posted a bit about the 5D Mark III having some form of RAW video that will be editable with DPP. I think the RAW video feature will be talked about until announcement day.

5D Mark II Stock Levels

There’s lots of talk around the planet about depleted 5D Mark II stock. I think this is more because of manufacturing than the discontinuation of a camera. They could sell 5D Mark II’s well into the 5D Mark III’s product cycle. I wouldn’t read into it yet. I have some 5D Mark II’s on order, we’ll see if they show up.

February Announcement

There are no press events officially scheduled yet. The only date I’ve received was a February 22, 2011 announcement of something. With Canon, it’s always possible for multiple announcement dates for various products. PowerShots and SLRs are getting separate billing a lot.

Canon makes lots of money

There’s always tons of criticism of Canon from the photography masses, and that’s ok. One thing you cannot criticize is their ability to make money.  A forecasted 26% increase in net income. Growth coming from DSLRs and office equipment.

Here comes Sony

Others have spoken about it, but I still find it worth repeating. Sony has taken Nikon’s #2 spot in the UK for interchangeable lens models. Canon remains #1, but with a falling share.

Mirrorless cameras are playing a big part in this trend, we know Nikon’s is coming… what say you Canon?

Canon Mirrorless

I’ve asked around and no one really has much to say about it. When you sell as many Rebels and G12′s as Canon does, I understand why they aren’t in a rush.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:54:19 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III & Other Random Stuff
« on: January 30, 2011, 09:46:43 PM »

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
Re: 5D Mark III & Other Random Stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 02:42:46 AM »
Sounds very interesting...

Anyone wanna buy a 5D mkII with just over 2000 exposures? :P
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 04:18:44 AM »
If the 5Dmkiii is more than £2000 body only when it comes out then yea id be interested in the mkii lol. Which is more than likely unless i wait a while for initial price to fall which im too impatient to do! Have to wait and see. Would be awesome to see mkiii this year!

Rob

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:08:39 AM »
Whatever Camera Canon release, it needs to be something that can compete with the Nikon D3s iso and autofocus ability, as Canon does not have a FF camera that offers what the D3s offers right now. :)
Better to live in denial, that way you wont be disappointed!

Canon 5D3 | 5D2 | 5Dc | 24-70 f2.8L | 24-105L | 17-40L | 85f1.8 | 70-200 f2.8L IS | Sigma 12-24 | 580EXx2

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:42:32 AM »
Whatever Camera Canon release, it needs to be something that can compete with the Nikon D3s iso and autofocus ability, as Canon does not have a FF camera that offers what the D3s offers right now. :)

The D3s competitor is the 1D Mark IV.  Comparable high ISO, better auto focus, slightly faster, higher resolution, and significantly better video.

Wahoowa

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:16:26 AM »
From what I heard here lately, it sounds like Canon will release more than one mid-level FF DSLRs.

I so want one. I was impressed with 5DII more than I expected after getting my hands on it once, but I still don't like its autofocus and its body construction, but I will hang on to my 7D until a replacement of 5DII comes out.

Rob

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 11:00:38 AM »

The D3s competitor is the 1D Mark IV.  Comparable high ISO, better auto focus, slightly faster, higher resolution, and significantly better video.

1D Mark IV isn't Full Frame the last time I checked, which for me is a total deal breaker.

Canon 5D3 | 5D2 | 5Dc | 24-70 f2.8L | 24-105L | 17-40L | 85f1.8 | 70-200 f2.8L IS | Sigma 12-24 | 580EXx2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 11:00:38 AM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 11:04:01 AM »
From what I heard here lately, it sounds like Canon will release more than one mid-level FF DSLRs.

This is a rumors forum, and there is lots of speculation that has no basis in fact.  Its for fun!  If you believe or make buying decisions based on what you read, you may be very disappointed.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »

1D Mark IV isn't Full Frame the last time I checked, which for me is a total deal breaker.

Canon pro sports bodies are currently APS-H; if that's not what you are looking for, then you should probably buy a D3s.

Bob Howland

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »

Canon pro sports bodies are currently APS-H; if that's not what you are looking for, then you should probably buy a D3s.

The 1D series is fine for sports, but what about general coverage photojournalism, specifically for those addicted to wide angle lenses? Where is the Canon 12-24 f/2.8 or f/4, optimized for APS-H? How long has it been since the original 1D was introduced?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:15:35 PM by Bob Howland »

eDc

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
h coming from DSLRs and office equipment.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong>Here comes Sony</strong>

<a href=\"http://nikonrumors.com/2011/01/21/it-happened-sony-replaced-nikon-from-the-2-spot-in-the-uk.aspx\">Others have spoken about it</a>, but I still find it worth repeating. Sony has taken Nikon’s #2 spot in the UK for interchangeable lens models. Canon remains #1, but with a falling share.</p>
<p>Mirrorless cameras are playing a big part in this trend, we know Nikon’s is coming… what say you Canon?</p>

[/html]

Canon president, when asked in an interview a couple of years ago, what he thought of the Nikon threat, answered it wasn't Nikon he was worried about, but Sony as they were the only ones with enough financial muscle to compete in the long term.  It looks like it is becoming true.

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »

The 1D series is fine for sports, but what about general coverage photojournalism, specifically for those addicted to wide angle lenses? Where is the Canon 12-24 f/2.8 or f/4, optimized for APS-H? How long has it been since the original 1D was introduced?

I know not one photojournalist using very wide angles. The 1D users have the 16-35 perhaps, but the full frame users I know are all using the 24-70mm as the widest. I don't think anyone really likes using those ultra wide angles anymore.

Peerke

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 02:43:15 PM »

I know not one photojournalist using very wide angles. The 1D users have the 16-35 perhaps, but the full frame users I know are all using the 24-70mm as the widest. I don't think anyone really likes using those ultra wide angles anymore.

Ever heard of James Nachtwey? Maybe have a look at the documentary called "War Photographer".
7D, 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, EF-S 18-135, EF 70-200 f/4 IS, EF 35 f2.0, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 100 f/2.0, Sigma 150, Speedlite 430 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 02:43:15 PM »

Rob

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:36:15 AM »
It probably means absolutely nothing, but I just noticed that the advert for Focus on Imaging in Birmingham NEC which runs from the 6-9th March has a picture of a Monkey holding a 5D mk2 with a 50mm 1.4 lens on it. The mk2 bit on the camera cant be seen, which makes me wonder why they would use a camera more than 2 years old in there advert for the show unless its a hint of what might be unveiled b4 or at the show??

S P

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 11:48:20 AM »
Karl Grobl switched from Canon to Nikon recently, and is a pretty well known photojournalist.  He specifically mentioned the high-ISO capability of the Nikon cameras, and full-frame's ability to get every last bit of wide out of the wide angles.  He went with two D3s bodies and a 17-35/2.8 and 70-200/2.8VR combo.

http://karlgrobl.blogspot.com/2010/04/its-official-im-announcing-retirement.html

The 1D-IV are APS-H, so 1.3x and won't get the ultra-wide shots.  Their high-ISO isn't as good.  The 1DsIII shoots slowly and lacks the high ISO ability of the Nikon's.  The 5D2 is great, but lacks the pro build quality needed for rough duty use.  So the high-ISO ability of the Nikon bodies, the full-frame, and the "just right" amount of pixels is what has made the D3 and D3s so popular with the PJ crowd.  Canon's lineup really is lacking there at the moment.

Also if you take a look at "The Big Picture" at www.boston.com you'll see plenty of ultra-wide PJ style shots.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 11:48:20 AM »