October 24, 2014, 10:38:05 AM

Author Topic: So..what sucks about this shot?  (Read 24653 times)

Kamera Obscura

Re: So..what sucks about this shot?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
SandyMandy,

Your picture is fine considering how little experience you have.

I hear some complaints about PP. Remember the good old days in the Dark room, were the artistic juices could flow and you could be really creative. Like putting a Ladies nylon stocking over the light. Well today, it applies as well. The idea that PP could somehow be considered cheating or not pure, is very anal.

Be creative from start to Final image. Use all tool available to your disposal.

Best,
dario.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »

smirkypants

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 06:29:34 PM »
The idea that PP could somehow be considered cheating or not pure, is very anal.

Be creative from start to Final image. Use all tool available to your disposal.
The vast majority of people who use "photoshop" as a pejorative are very similar to people who hate math or 19th-century English textile artisans who destroyed mechanized looms.

AJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 06:39:57 PM »
Hi there,

I'm a photog who's written many hundreds of critiques on photosig.com  With that said, here's my $0.02

I think it's a charming photo that really shows the love between mother and daughter.  I think composition is good.  The hands, lips, and woman's ear are all on a diagonal, and this works well.  The photo looks a tad underexposed and the blackpoint is very heavy.  I'd like to see some rich dark shades rather than solid black.

The region of the child's lips is very dark.  It seems to get lost in the photo, and yet this is the part that makes the photo charming.  It's hard to see the child smiling.  I suggest trying some dodging here to brighten this area and to draw more attention to it.  The same holds true for the child's eye.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 02:55:07 AM »
I'm a photog who's written many hundreds of critiques on photosig.com  With that said, here's my $0.02

I didn't know photosig, but it looks interesting. But looking at this thread, I am doubtful how valuable getting your pictures reviewed online might be - you end up with tons of contradicting opinions, and I wouldn't know what to make of it because I don't see the people face2face and cannot decide what the person's personality and background is. What's your take on online photo reviews?

JerryBruck

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 04:57:33 AM »
@Marsu42: PhotoSig is a website -- mainly for what seem to be beginners -- whose business plan is the volunteer coaching of all by all.  Non-paying members must write critiques (with minimum word-counts) in order to post their own photos, so everyone's a critic.  I won't attempt to describe the atmosphere there -- go visit.

I thought that sandymandy got some good and useful advice here in answer to his query, plus encouragement, plus a preview of some of the vibes that often go along with photography these days.  Of course he'll have to sort it out, it's in the nature of things that there's no single answer to his sort of question, isn't that so?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 05:12:49 AM »
I won't attempt to describe the atmosphere there -- go visit.

... pity, might have saved my some time :-o

I won't attempt to Of course he'll have to sort it out, it's in the nature of things that there's no single answer to his sort of question, isn't that so?

The problem is: How to sort it out? If I'm attending a face2face group review session, everybody brings one picture and all get reviewed by everyone. I can see the people, get a better idea of their personality and match this with their opinions. When looking at online opinions for non-tech issues (unlike "is the 24L sharper than the 35L" etc) I'm rather lost, but maybe I'm just lacking practice here.

JerryBruck

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 05:59:09 AM »
The problem is: How to sort it out?
[/quote]

Well that is the problem.  Was it Picasso who said that genius is knowing whose advice to take?  I suppose a beginner can sign up for school or attach themselves to a guru or just take from here & there...  For me the personality of a teacher wouldn't matter, nor the quality of their talk -- only their photos would. 

I think you can make good progress from staring at the kind of work you like and trying to match it, trial and error, the long way, true, but also the way of lucky accidents.  And there's nothing wrong with sandymandy's approach of throwing out an appeal for advice -- so long as you don't expect The Answer.   The answering babble will harbor leads, for him in particular and his to find. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 05:59:09 AM »

KeithR

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »
The vast majority of people who use "photoshop" as a pejorative are very similar to people who hate math or 19th-century English textile artisans who destroyed mechanized looms.

I've said before that I use PS as much as anyone: but it's not a replacement for good photography.

KeithR

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 11:08:39 AM »
This is not a honest critique, this is you being an a**hole. I'm dying to see your wonderful shots, you might be an awesome photographer.

Don't talk such whiny crap.

And here you are - my website: www.capture-the-moment.co.uk

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 06:07:45 PM »
I don't care for the B&W processing. The only time I use black and white is if the color in the photo is drawing the viewer out of photograph or color weakens the underlying primary composition. Idk what color looks like here though.

Id like to see it in color and perhaps a tighter shot with the ear not in the frame.

Id give it a 8/10. Good effort but little things like that add up to a weaker image.

AE

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2012, 02:04:50 AM »
Hi.  Just looked at the photo and had the thought that the real interest is in the middle third, sort of centering on the diamond created by the child's hat, the adult's index finger, the adult's hairline and scarf.  On the left I would crop just left of the diamond (just a little bit to the left of where the scarf and index finger meet, doing without most of the finger), on the right left before (just left of) the hair that drop vertically, doing without the ear.  I think the 'message' is in this area.  Just an idea.

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2012, 03:18:29 AM »
I think its a good shot and I like it.  But, it is a photo of people I don't know. If it was my wife and child, I'd be delighted.  I'd frame it and putting it on wall.  But would I put your photo on my wall?  No.

With close up photos of people, it is difficult to gain widespread acceptance unless it is a photo of someone famous (or unless you are famous).  While people can appreciate it is a good photo, it only has relevance to those pictured and close family members.

I wouldn't take the rejection too personally.  The fact that the judges didn't accept it doesn't detract from it being a good photo.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2012, 08:01:51 AM »
okay, thank yall. Sadly my mission of taking photos on the easter brunch event didnt work out at all. Most people didnt want shots to be taken so i just gave up and enjoyed the brunch instead :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2012, 08:01:51 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »
If you want the proof is in the pudding critique. Try out pixoto.com. It will put your image against other images in a duel and one will win and one will lose. You receive and average score to show you a real life critique of your photos.

It's sweet and I use it to judge my work against real world photographers.

haqyourlegs

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2012, 09:42:04 AM »
Hi,

id like to get some critique whats crappy and whats maybe not so crappy about my photo.
Id also especially like to know if its over exposed or sth, since i dont got a good PC screen for digital image processing.
Im in week 4 now of doing photography ever in my life :3

Hey, sandymandy! First off, I love the concept of the shot. The fact that you are able to catch a moment in time that shows the love between two people is wonderful. Contrary to the earlier comment about the hand being "too manly", I have to disagree and say that the hand, for me, is one of the most beautiful aspects of the photo. I agree that having too much of the mother's face detracts from the impact of the image, but this is what photography is about: learning what works and what doesn't, and how you can improve. I would have tried maybe a bit of a different angle, focusing on the child's eyes a bit more, and if I used colour I would have created an image that was a little less saturated.

I do not think it is over-exposed, but when picturing people you have to be careful that their faces don't get lost in when you adjust the contrast. I am a big fan of high-contrast pictures, but usually when dealing with architecture or other still-life... when photographing people, try to have less harsh contrasts. Other than that, and agreeing with some others over here, it is a good shot for your first month. As you go along you will discover new ways of showcasing emotion and creating moving images. That is not to say that you should strive for perfection of emotion each time. Sometimes, it's just not there, and you have to work with what you have (especially if you plan on wedding photography and tensions are running high, achieving images that are lovey-dovey and perfect can be a hassle).

Anyway, I like it, but try not to get stuck in the "black-and-white-photos-are-art" mentality, because it's not true. Experiment with a lot of different things. One great website that has helped me a LOT with composition and other tips is: http://digital-photography-school.com/ ... it has weekly challenges that help you push yourself and see a lot of different types of work. I find that I am not 100% in line with some of the composition rules that the owner of the website uses, but it is a great place to get some inspiration and try a lot of different things.

Good luck, and keep clicking!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2012, 09:42:04 AM »