September 02, 2014, 01:28:20 AM

Author Topic: So..what sucks about this shot?  (Read 24016 times)

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: So..what sucks about this shot?
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2012, 09:51:18 AM »
...The photo looks a tad underexposed and the blackpoint is very heavy.  I'd like to see some rich dark shades rather than solid black.

The region of the child's lips is very dark.  It seems to get lost in the photo, and yet this is the part that makes the photo charming.  It's hard to see the child smiling.  I suggest trying some dodging here to brighten this area and to draw more attention to it.  The same holds true for the child's eye.
+1.  I was thinking most of this but did not communicate it well in my prior post.

I agree. It's a wonderful frozen moment but perhaps a tad underexposed. I'd pull back on the blacks, that alone might be enough but if not you could just brighten it up a tad.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2012, 09:51:18 AM »

Canihaspicture

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »
There's a lot of feedback from everyone so you probably don't need mine... I agree with the dodging and burning... My eye is drawn immediately to the bright white hat and stays there. It should have been a darker hat and if the little girl's hair were covered just a bit more you could have played the "little bald girl with cancer" angle.

When post processing pay attention to where your eyes jump to (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc) make it tell a story and don't forget to play on human emotions.

rhommel

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2012, 10:33:14 AM »
hello,

first of all, your photo does not suck. go here http://youarenotaphotographer.com/ and I know you'll feel better about your photo. :)

ask the woman in the photo what she thinks of it.  if she hates it, then ask her why, if she loves it, then you've done your job as a photographer

p.s i am sure that woman in the photo will like/love your photo, no doubt

bp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2012, 12:23:55 PM »
Who cares what anyone here thinks of it?  Do you like it?   Shoot for yourself first and foremost, develop your own style and to heck with anyone else's opinion

If you want to start trying to charge people to shoot portraits, you'll have to learn how to shoot to please the client, but beyond that, just shoot to please yourself.
5D3 - 5D2 - 7D - T2i   | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 24-105L | 70-200 IS II | Shorty Forty | 50 1.4 | Bower 14 | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 | 2x III

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »
I agree. It's a wonderful frozen moment but perhaps a tad underexposed. I'd pull back on the blacks, that alone might be enough but if not you could just brighten it up a tad.
Yep, had the same thought. If I could make out the babies eyes more, it'd have an even stronger emotional pull. And pulling back on the blacks would still leave the texture of the woman's hand without making it the focal point.

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2012, 02:34:07 AM »
go here http://youarenotaphotographer.com/ and I know you'll feel better about your photo. :)

This website is really funny! Thanks :)

Ill never do wedding photography i think. Im such a really slow photographer. U can call me slowpoke!
Oh and its not a "baby" in my photo :P She is 4 years old.
Heres the original resized. I think i should have used a more closed aperture.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:36:08 AM by sandymandy »

JerryBruck

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2012, 06:30:23 AM »
@sandymandy:  You've figured it out.  Everybody here except the newcomers, is enrolled in a stand-up comedy class and this website was created for us to try out new material on you guys.  It certainly took us long enough to get you smiling, but at least now we should pass the course. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2012, 06:30:23 AM »

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2012, 07:37:30 AM »
Im confused. Is ur comment sarcastic about something i wrote? Or is it just meant to be funny. Im feeling a bit retarded because im not sure what u really mean. Or did u write that cuz i said "this website is funny" ? I mean the website in the link i got.

entertainer

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2012, 07:56:03 AM »
my eyes are attracted to the hands more than anything else, but I think your emphasis should be on the kiss. :)

JerryBruck

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2012, 10:14:57 AM »
@sandymandy:  meant to be funny!  I was wondering how you (or anyone new) would react to the avalanche of advice and bickering that your straightforward query elicited.  This website IS funny,  (of course there may be some who don't see it yet),  not to worry. 

Maybe the time has come for you to take another picture...

JerryBruck

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2012, 10:18:13 AM »
Just noticed my mistake -- this must be the quoting-ist forum ever heard of!

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »
Well, one of my weaknesses is that im having a really hard time abandoning something or someone even if its not important objectivly. So no matter what i will check back here many times per day. But i think i shouldnt try to read here when my brain is not fully awake :P
I will post more pics in about 2 weeks so let the gaaames begiiiin.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:50:37 AM by sandymandy »

JerryBruck

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
@sandymandy  That's the spirit.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »

mjardeen

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2012, 02:04:18 PM »
For me the best way to respond is to recrop and slightly reprocess your image. I do think there is an emotional connection in the image that gives it worth beyond simply those who know the two people in the image. I see the love of a mother/grandmother for her child. I do think that going B&W is a good way to go so that the distracting colors are removed from the essential content of the image. I toned the image as I think it gives the image a more emotional feel. I used to never tone my images and then started at first with more subtle ones and now go bold. The tone I used here is one that replicates the Silver Gelatin look.

Narcolepsy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • www.veterinaryadvances.com
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »
For me the best way to respond is to recrop and slightly reprocess your image. I do think there is an emotional connection in the image that gives it worth beyond simply those who know the two people in the image. I see the love of a mother/grandmother for her child. I do think that going B&W is a good way to go so that the distracting colors are removed from the essential content of the image. I toned the image as I think it gives the image a more emotional feel. I used to never tone my images and then started at first with more subtle ones and now go bold. The tone I used here is one that replicates the Silver Gelatin look.
I really like how you've reprocessed, cropped and toned this shot.... However - perhaps the reprocess has also really highlighted the hand - which was perhaps a little problematic already - lightening the hand might help?
I also agree that there was already a good emotional connection in the original

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »