October 26, 2014, 03:40:38 AM

Author Topic: Demand for High Mega Pixel Body vs 60Da  (Read 2585 times)

bestimage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Demand for High Mega Pixel Body vs 60Da
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:17:16 AM »
Wondering if Canon sees a bigger market for 60Da vs high mega pixel camera, i haven't seen any post asking for astro camera but lots of folks need high mega pixel camera

canon rumors FORUM

Demand for High Mega Pixel Body vs 60Da
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:17:16 AM »

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Demand for High Mega Pixel Body vs 60Da
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:34:52 AM »
Canon is smart.  They are market driven.  If they see a demand, they release it.  I don't think they 'demand' you see is real.

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:58:30 AM »
Canon is smart.  They are market driven.  If they see a demand, they release it.  I don't think they 'demand' you see is real.

Possible, but Canon may not have technology to provide a quality high mpx in a cost effective manner. They did prototype a high mpx a couple of years back, but no words on it and whether or not it would be available. May be that project flopped and Canon is scrambling to compete against high mpx coming from Nikon and Sony.

Lets face it, high mpx is in demand, as proven by crazy demand for D800... its demand is almost solely due to its high mpx.

bestimage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
I agree with you, canon is just not there yet to produce high mega pixel camera, producing a huge sensor and using it for a prodution camera is different thing. if the demand wasnt there medium format wouldnt exist and people wont pay in the range of $50K and canon users wont switch to D800, if canon is smart they wont loose their customers over D800

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »
I don't think they are hemmoriging users over the 800.  I just don’t believe that magical megapickels is so much to worry about.  Given the wait times to get a 5D3, I don't think Canon is either.

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 11:16:54 AM »
Canon is updating their lenses which were already good enough for the current sensors - I do think the new lenses are for upcoming high MP sensors we are going to see. 7D had enough pixel density to outresolve some of the lenses after all...

Cheers

bestimage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 11:24:01 AM »
Agree, most of existing lenses can resolve high mega pixels. Also, canon gives us 60Da that no one asked for, this camera looks like a gimmick, otherwise this could be just a feature in any camera, add a couple of filter circuits and this is your astro camera

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 11:24:01 AM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »
This isn't an either/or thing, Canon releasing the 60Da has nothing to do with a high megapixel body or their plans for such a camera.  It's just a random astrophotography camera they released.  They've probably seen the slew of time lapses that have come out in the last year and realized that it's getting more and more popular, so why not release a camera that's actually meant to work with telescopes?  People have been using DSLRs with telescopes for a long time, I think it's cool they released one that's actually intended to be used this way.

I had no idea it was coming, but I will be buying one since I'm obsessed with the cosmos.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »
This isn't an either/or thing, Canon releasing the 60Da has nothing to do with a high megapixel body or their plans for such a camera.  It's just a random astrophotography camera they released.  They've probably seen the slew of time lapses that have come out in the last year and realized that it's getting more and more popular, so why not release a camera that's actually meant to work with telescopes?  People have been using DSLRs with telescopes for a long time, I think it's cool they released one that's actually intended to be used this way.

I had no idea it was coming, but I will be buying one since I'm obsessed with the cosmos.

Cool! Would you know how focusing is carried out when the cam is mounted on a telescope? I am interested in astrophotography but trying to figure out how things work before getting a telescope...

Thanks!

bestimage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »
well bottom line is that canon disappointed quite a few of its users who could greatly benifit from hi mega pix, hope they do something soon about it :(

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 11:56:45 AM »
Bottom line is people are obsessed with megapixels and couldn't be bothered with taking good photos with the tools they have.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

bestimage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 12:05:42 PM »
need and benifits are real and not obsession

1DSLR

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »
Wondering if Canon sees a bigger market for 60Da vs high mega pixel camera, ...
I think it took much less investment in time and money to just use a different IR filter plus some firmware tweaking to offer the 60Da.  Designing a new, high megapixel body would be a much larger investment in time & money (but would sell to a larger market).  I think this is similar to Nikon offering the D800 with and without anti-aliasing; requires a small change in the production line and some firmware modification (rather more, I suspect, than the 60Da did).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 10:52:12 AM »
Lets face it, high mpx is in demand, as proven by crazy demand for D800... its demand is almost solely due to its high mpx.

Where exactly to people get numbers for "demand"? I've searched the web up and down, and I have never once seen any useful, concrete information about exactly what the "demand" is for any Camera, D800, 5D III, 1DX or anything else. I don't think there are such numbers. Without "demand" volumes derived from some kind of careful study that properly tracks D800 and 5D III sales from a number of major retailers...not just one or two like Amazon or B&H (not items manufactured from the manufacturers, as they make and ship without any precise regard to how many might actually sell), no one can really say for sure what the global market demand for these cameras is. Until the companies release official sales numbers, I think its simply hearsay to proclaim the "demand" for the D800 is larger than the "demand" for anything else.

In the Nikon world the D800 is obviously the big baby, (and apparently for a relatively small group of hyperpixelpeepers in the Canon camp who think ISO 100 DR is the end-all be-all of everything in the continuum of photography.) However in the Canon world, which is arguably larger, the 5D III is going to be the big seller. On this forum alone there are dozens and dozens of 5D III owners already, and I can only imagine that in the broader Canon customer base there are far, far more 5D III's than anyone could know about with any concrete certainty.

Personally, I think proclamations of "demand" for any camera at this point is extremely premature, especially with the Olympics right around the corner. I would not be surprised to see D4 and 5D III sales surge the closer we get, especially if Canon doesn't release the 1D X until the day before the Olympics start. The D800, while it certainly has a lot of glitter and gloss with its shiny 36mp sensor...is rather slow from a frame rate perspective, consumes an ungodly amount of memory space, and is in general designed for an entirely different market than your average Olympics photographer. Time will tell, but I don't really see either camera radically outselling the other in the long run.

Kahuna

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 11:37:25 AM »

Where exactly to people get numbers for "demand"? I've searched the web up and down, and I have never once seen any useful, concrete information about exactly what the "demand" is for any Camera, D800, 5D III, 1DX or anything else. I don't think there are such numbers. Without "demand" volumes derived from some kind of careful study that properly tracks D800 and 5D III sales from a number of major retailers...not just one or two like Amazon or B&H (not items manufactured from the manufacturers, as they make and ship without any precise regard to how many might actually sell), no one can really say for sure what the global market demand for these cameras is. Until the companies release official sales numbers, I think its simply hearsay to proclaim the "demand" for the D800 is larger than the "demand" for anything else.

In the Nikon world the D800 is obviously the big baby, (and apparently for a relatively small group of hyperpixelpeepers in the Canon camp who think ISO 100 DR is the end-all be-all of everything in the continuum of photography.) However in the Canon world, which is arguably larger, the 5D III is going to be the big seller. On this forum alone there are dozens and dozens of 5D III owners already, and I can only imagine that in the broader Canon customer base there are far, far more 5D III's than anyone could know about with any concrete certainty.

Personally, I think proclamations of "demand" for any camera at this point is extremely premature, especially with the Olympics right around the corner. I would not be surprised to see D4 and 5D III sales surge the closer we get, especially if Canon doesn't release the 1D X until the day before the Olympics start. The D800, while it certainly has a lot of glitter and gloss with its shiny 36mp sensor...is rather slow from a frame rate perspective, consumes an ungodly amount of memory space, and is in general designed for an entirely different market than your average Olympics photographer. Time will tell, but I don't really see either camera radically outselling the other in the long run.

+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 11:37:25 AM »