September 17, 2014, 02:09:22 PM

Author Topic: Demand for High Mega Pixel Body vs 60Da  (Read 2548 times)

epsiloneri

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Demand for High Mega Pixel Body vs 60Da
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 08:08:09 AM »
Would you know how focusing is carried out when the cam is mounted on a telescope?
Easy: manually, using the normal telescope focusing mechanism. Just point towards a bright star, and use live view if you have it (very useful). Fortunately all celestial objects are located at the same focal distance: infinity. I'm sure you can google up lots of helpful web pages on the topic.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 08:08:09 AM »

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 09:44:12 AM »
I think the most obvious lesson from the previous generation of cameras that both Canon and Nikon seem to have taken is that there isnt a large market for an ultra high end all rounder like the 1Ds mk3 or the D3x.

To me that seems to necessitate a more focused approach and my guess is that Canon and Nikon have targeted what they viewed as there most obvious weaknesses, the lack of a cheaper high MP FF body for Nikon and a cheaper all rounder well suited to weddings for Canon. This allows them to meet the needs of users who may have been waiting an entire product cycle for the correct features and so been in more danger of switching, it also allows them to carry on selling the previous generation's FF body since it targets different users.

So really the current competision is less 5D mk3 vs D800 and more 5D mk2 vs D800 and 5d mk3 vs D700 with one manifacturer offering better specs and the other a much lower price.

I'd be supprized if Canon and Nikon don't release high MP and all rounder FF bodies sometime in the next year or two, there have been rumblings about both afterall but your hardly going to see them make offical statements so soon after another release.

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 10:23:29 AM »
Possible, but Canon may not have technology to provide a quality high mpx in a cost effective manner.

Canon has no difficulty making gear that isn't cost effective, or at least extremely expensive. I think the problem is more one of quality. One, I read a white paper from their engineering which discussed the difficulty of handling that many pixels. Right now they're at dual chip, when will they go dual core and quad core? Thats just in-camera processing, with high megapixels what will happen to the frame rate? ISO? IQ? A camera is a tough piece of engineering. I work in a similar field. Handheld device, tough requirements, anal customers, and a long legacy to live up to.

All solvable problems - eventually. I think that Canon just isn't ready or able to solve them all now.

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 02:35:46 PM »
60Da fills a niche they haven't had a product in for about SEVEN years already. It's their best choice of body to adapt to this purpose, too, IMO.  Avid astro's have likely worn out their 20Da a few times over by now. Also nice to have more res to catch those little dots of light.
I doubt they sell many of them, might almost fit on the "good will" list to produce such a product.

Still, altho 60D has one of the better levels of per-pixel noise in the Canon group of products, I wonder what tweaks it may have in it to help reduce noise even more?

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 03:38:42 PM »
Would you know how focusing is carried out when the cam is mounted on a telescope?
Easy: manually, using the normal telescope focusing mechanism. Just point towards a bright star, and use live view if you have it (very useful). Fortunately all celestial objects are located at the same focal distance: infinity. I'm sure you can google up lots of helpful web pages on the topic.

Thanks a lot!  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 03:38:42 PM »