October 01, 2014, 12:29:58 AM

Author Topic: Really Right Stuff Camera Plate w/o Grip - B5D3  (Read 18445 times)

aZhu

Really Right Stuff Camera Plate w/o Grip - B5D3
« on: April 06, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
Just got my new camera plate from RRS today. Since there are no pictures of it online even from RRS, I thought I'd share a few. Enjoy :)

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Some users are reporting serious issues with their plate.  Does yours have the issue shown here?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1103460/0#10530203

I just checked mine and it shows the same "issue". I wonder if this will severely affect damaging the camera body...
Mine already has a small faint line on my camera body... grrr!

UPDATE PART 2:

Just received the Rev A of the B5D3 plate... unfortunately, doesn't look like too much have changed... I still feel like that shelf corner is touching the camera body except it's lower profile now... Why couldn't RRS just have removed the shelf entirely? Anyone else still a little disappointed?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:54:22 PM by aZhu »

canon rumors FORUM

Really Right Stuff Camera Plate w/o Grip - B5D3
« on: April 06, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Really Right Stuff Camera Plate w/o Grip - B5D3
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 06:24:13 PM »
I'm waiting on my L-plate that I ordered 3/4.  Hopefully it comes in soon, their website says that they're beginning to ship pre-orders in small batches in the order they were placed.  I do have to admit that I'm not crazy about the design of this one vs. the 5DMKII L-plate.  The old one seemed to just blend in and be a part of the camera, where as this one is definitely noticeable.

aZhu

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 06:26:39 PM »
I'm waiting on my L-plate that I ordered 3/4.  Hopefully it comes in soon, their website says that they're beginning to ship pre-orders in small batches in the order they were placed.  I do have to admit that I'm not crazy about the design of this one vs. the 5DMKII L-plate.  The old one seemed to just blend in and be a part of the camera, where as this one is definitely noticeable.

Yeah the new L-plate does stand out a bit more. I hardly shoot in portrait orientation so in order to save space and money, I opted for the regular plate.

kidnaper

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:03:04 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of a non-L camera plate? It just seems to be a quarter inch riser for the tripod, to me.
5DIII 8-200mm minus 35mm in there.

aZhu

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 12:06:43 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of a non-L camera plate? It just seems to be a quarter inch riser for the tripod, to me.

For me it's basically a really well built arca-swiss quick release plate. I like that there is the no-twist feature vs other standard quick release plates that are just a piece of square or rectangular metal. Anyone else with me on this?

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:36:59 PM »
Just got my new camera plate from RRS today. Since there are no pictures of it online even from RRS, I thought I'd share a few. Enjoy :)

Thanks for the images, that reminds me that i wanted one. I use their tilt head "MH-02 LR: Head with Indexing LR Clamp" It goes on a monopod head and tilts left or right, works like a champ for either orientation. No need for a big L bracket for me.
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MH-02-LR&type=0&eq=&desc=MH-02-LR%3a-Head-with-Indexing-LR-Clamp&key=it
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

kidnaper

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 08:22:11 PM »

For me it's basically a really well built arca-swiss quick release plate. I like that there is the no-twist feature vs other standard quick release plates that are just a piece of square or rectangular metal. Anyone else with me on this?
I actually didn't really inspect the pictures past the bottom of the plate, it seemed to me that there was another tripod thread on the bottom of the plate. I fully retract my question and am now interested. Thanks for your response!
5DIII 8-200mm minus 35mm in there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 08:22:11 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:35:19 PM »
It goes on a monopod head and tilts left or right, works like a champ for either orientation. No need for a big L bracket for me.

Most tripod/monopod heads can drop to a 90-degree orientation, with a full tilt feature like the head you link, or a drop-notch on a ballhead.  The issue is that when in portrait orientation, the center of mass is not directly over the axis of support, meaning you're fighting gravity which can lead to instability (and with a monopod, fatigue since you're supporting more of the weight).  The 'big L bracket' has the advantage of keeping the mass centered.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:59:40 PM »
It goes on a monopod head and tilts left or right, works like a champ for either orientation. No need for a big L bracket for me.

Most tripod/monopod heads can drop to a 90-degree orientation, with a full tilt feature like the head you link, or a drop-notch on a ballhead.  The issue is that when in portrait orientation, the center of mass is not directly over the axis of support, meaning you're fighting gravity which can lead to instability (and with a monopod, fatigue since you're supporting more of the weight).  The 'big L bracket' has the advantage of keeping the mass centered.

also if you use a gigapan like i do and want to shoot a panorama in portrait you need the mount on the side
RRS also do an aweseome replacement center plate for the gigapan epic pro if anyone else uses one .

Same deal for a gimbal if you want it in portrait L brackets are handy

I also dont use a normal ball head so dont have the 90 degree slot I use a novoflex magic ball it can go 90 degrees but is more solid stright up especially with heavy lenses
APS-H Fanboy

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »
Some users are reporting serious issues with their plate.  Does yours have the issue shown here?

aZhu

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 10:31:11 PM »

I just checked mine and it shows the same "issue". I wonder if this will severely affect damaging the camera body...

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:54:00 PM by aZhu »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 11:55:45 PM »

That is science of tilt heads and of gravity, yes, and that's why really right stuff made this tilt head because it can handle a 1dm3 and 70-200 on the side if i want. I have never felt it strain to hold things in place. There is no other tilt head that can handle the weight this one does. That is why i bought it. I have had ballheads, still have a Manfrotto pinch grip head and all that junk, i prefer this powerful smooth tilting head. It doesn't drop things out of center much either. Besides that I'm kinda done luggin a tripod to weddings anymore and when i need low light or portrait assistance this is my setup. Its kinda like the Leica of tilt heads it functions for one thing and does it well.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 11:57:52 PM »

S___, ordered mine yesterday...I'm not happy with this! Who at Really Right Stuff is behind releasing this BS fitting product? Now i have to refuse shipment but i am using USPS priority, so it'll be in my mailbox, i suppose i can just bring it to the postoffice un-opened.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:01:45 AM by Bosman »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 11:57:52 PM »

aZhu

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 12:00:05 AM »

[img]

[img]

S___, ordered mine yesterday...

Everyone that have this problem should call and complain... hopefully they will address this issue and get us a replacement. I'm really sad my brand new 5D3 already has a scuff on it already :(
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:04:48 AM by aZhu »

Mike Miami

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 07:59:33 AM »
Obviously a rushed product from RRS. I have RRS heads and plates and all are perfect. This is unlike RRS. Hopefully RRS reworks the plates and offers updated ones to the early buyers.  Anxiously waiting to see the Kirk version before ordering.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 07:59:33 AM »