August 27, 2014, 01:04:26 PM

Author Topic: Which lens (combinations) for event & wedding situations?  (Read 3833 times)

l0pht

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Which lens (combinations) for event & wedding situations?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 12:16:41 PM »
I am thinking of the 24L and the 135L as my first 2 primes.

2. Low light fixed lenses.
24mm f/1.4L II
50mm f/1.4

Thank you very much for your input - this is really valuable to me. One question: Why the 24L and not the 35L (which might substitute the 24L and 50L since its range is in the middle)? Because you actually need 24mm often - but then why not use a real ultrawide - or for safety because the 35L might be to narrow in some rare cases?

I'm asking because I'd like the get the highly regarded 35L as my first low light L prime - but I would reconsider if everybody thinks this range is half-baked and I'd be better off the 24L in real world situations.

24 is probably to wide for most shots, the 35 is just so sweet.  Rent them both for a couple days and buy which one you like most.

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Which lens (combinations) for event & wedding situations?
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 06:50:47 PM »

I am thinking of the 24L and the 135L as my first 2 primes.

2. Low light fixed lenses.
24mm f/1.4L II
50mm f/1.4

Thank you very much for your input - this is really valuable to me. One question: Why the 24L and not the 35L (which might substitute the 24L and 50L since its range is in the middle)? Because you actually need 24mm often - but then why not use a real ultrawide - or for safety because the 35L might be to narrow in some rare cases?

I'm asking because I'd like the get the highly regarded 35L as my first low light L prime - but I would reconsider if everybody thinks this range is half-baked and I'd be better off the 24L in real world situations.

I've never considered 35mm to be a very interesting focal length. It's really just a "normal," and I already have a 50. The 35L is very respected because it's optically superior to the first EF 24 f/1.4L. With the Mk II, this is no longer the case.

And if I ever need the field of view of the 35, I can always crop in. 22mp gives me a lot of leeway. But you can't go the other direction.

I've wanted a fast 24 for a very, very long time.