December 18, 2014, 06:20:18 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak?  (Read 25884 times)

unclemat

Re: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »
Non-issue? Really?  ::)

I just tried my 5D3. Yep, same problem.

I tried my 5D classic. No issue.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »
I can't believe how people call this is not a problem.
If you shoot anything but the Manual mode all your exposure readings will be incorrect.

For example.
Shooting portrait of my daughter.
She is standing under direct sunlight.
I am trying find a good composition so I move around a little.
And I happen to walk into a shadow area.
Although my daughter is still under the sunlight.
my exposure reading changes because I just walked into the shadow area.
And when I walk back into the sun lit area my exposure reading changes once again.

If you want to call this a normal behavior go ahead.
If you want to pay $3500 for such non-sense go ahead.

This not an issue the way you describe it.

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 03:52:40 PM »
so is the light leaking around the LCD from the outside, or is it the light from the LCD itself? I'll check mine when i can, but since i've had a pretty good time with the auto exposure system i don't know how worried about it i would be. But i do wonder how it might impact weather resistance if light is actually able sneak around the LCD.

rushmore77

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »

tobiah

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 04:02:20 PM »
looks like there is going to be a big recall... :(  hopefully they will be able to fix them quickly

tasteofjace

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »
I can't believe how people call this is not a problem.
If you shoot anything but the Manual mode all your exposure readings will be incorrect.

For example.
Shooting portrait of my daughter.
She is standing under direct sunlight.
I am trying find a good composition so I move around a little.
And I happen to walk into a shadow area.
Although my daughter is still under the sunlight.
my exposure reading changes because I just walked into the shadow area.
And when I walk back into the sun lit area my exposure reading changes once again.

If you want to call this a normal behavior go ahead.
If you want to pay $3500 for such non-sense go ahead.

Why are you taking 10 second exposures of your daughter?

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 04:07:44 PM »
It just seems to leak through the back of the LCD itself; not round the sizes.

I just tested mine with a VERY powerful (~50mW) green laser pointer, so I could try out different areas on the LCD. Pretty much anywhere on the LCD and down the exposure reading goes.

At ISO800, mode set to "P", I got 10s exposure with no light and 5 or 6 seconds with (A LOT!) of light.

I don't think it's a serious issue in real life. But I couldn't reproduce the behaviour with my 7D, though I didn't try very long, and didn't use the hella bright laser pointer for that.

When the lens cap is on and the VF cover is on, we are talking TINY amounts of light leaking to make the exposure reading change to 5s. Such a small amount of light would be TOTALLY AND UTTERLY swamped in any real situation, with a lens on. And remember, when the camera decides what exposure to use when the shutter is fired, it does so with the lens WIDE OPEN,  before it stops down the lens and begins the exposure. So I think it would be hard to contrive a situation where the light coming in through the LCD would be anything other than negligible compared to the light coming in through the wide-open lens.

Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 04:07:44 PM »

prestonpalmer

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 04:08:47 PM »
The issue is the same on my 5D2 and 5D3.  Seems to be amplified on my 5D3 though... humm.

HughHowey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
I can't believe they wouldn't have a solid backing on the other side of that LCD panel. Incredible.

Rushmore: thanks for the video.
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »
Non-issue? Really?  ::)

I just tried my 5D3. Yep, same problem.

I tried my 5D classic. No issue.

+1.... same here on my 5d III. Same test on 5D II - no problem.
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »

This not an issue the way you describe it.

5d mark iii light leak

So you also have the lenscap on when taking pictures of your daughter ????????
When the lenscap is removed the test can not be reproduced
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 04:17:51 PM by altenae »

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »
I think it is important to point out the following so that some people don't come away with an untrue impression of the scale of this problem.

Looking at the above video with the sun and the orange paper, it would be easy to come away with the impression that exposing the LCD to bright sunlight would cause the exposure used in a picture to change down to a half of the value that would be used without the sun on the LCD.
That is NOT the case.

Remember, in real life, taking a picture, a lens would be on the camera, and wide open. There would be no visible or significant effect on the exposure in that case; the light coming in through the lens totally dominates, and that coming through the top LCD becomes insignificant.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 04:19:53 PM by Fleetie »
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »
I think it is important to point out the following so that some people don't come away with an untrue impression of the scale of this problem.

Looking at the above video with the sun and the orange paper, it would be easy to come away with the impression that exposing the LCD to bright sunlight would cause the exposure used in a picture to change down to a half of the value that would be used without the sun on the LCD.

That is NOT the case.

Remember, in real life, taking a picture, a lens would be on the camera, and wide open. There would be no visible or significant effect on the exposure in that case; the light coming in through the lens totally dominates, and that coming through the top LCD becomes insignificant.

+1

Thank you. 
I was just telling this in my last post.

What is it with this lenscap ON Photography these days ??????

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »

prestonpalmer

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »

You are wrong.  We are seeing the change from sunlight to shadow change the exposure by as much as 1/2 stop when the shooter moves from daylight to shadow in real shooting conditions.  I can confirm this with a bright sunlit beach photo shoot yesterday. 

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »

You are wrong.  We are seeing the change from sunlight to shadow change the exposure by as much as 1/2 stop when the shooter moves from daylight to shadow in real shooting conditions.  I can confirm this with a bright sunlit beach photo shoot yesterday.

Yes, but the lenscap is on !!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »