August 20, 2014, 07:39:56 AM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak?  (Read 24489 times)

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak?
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2012, 08:11:37 PM »
Strange enough I never leave the lenscap on.

funny man!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2012, 08:11:37 PM »

kareldonk

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »
I've tried this test on my 40D and 1V, and neither has the 'issue'.

The LCD backlight doesn't affect the shutter speed/exposure when on. but why is the exposure fluctuating that much?
You need to take the lens off and just put the cover on the camera body.  Lens caps are designed to protect the lens, not block out 100% of light.

I did, same tests only in this case with body cap on (no lens attached). same fluctuations. why?

dturano

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2012, 08:36:33 PM »
Since this doesn't affect every situation, would this be a suitable temp fix?

If you in a situation where light, either moving from sun to shade, or anything that triggers this issue would applying a piece of gaffers tape over the top screen solve the issue?

For example the poster who was in the beach in and out of the palm trees and direct sun, would this issue be non existant if the screen was covered?

I know people are covering the viewfinder and body without lens to see if the issue occurs, in normal operation I was wondering if for certain situations simply blacking out the top screen would avoid any possible issues?

sorry if the solution sounds stupid, i dont think i fully understand the issue, i didn't have a chance to watch the video or test it myself. 

One thing is for sure, canon should not have waited so long to release this camera, being the overwhelming wait people are putting this thing through the ringer.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2012, 08:37:41 PM »
You need to take the lens off and just put the cover on the camera body.

If that's an absolute requirement to demonstrate this problem, then it's not a real problem at all - at least, it's not for those of us that prefer to take pictures with lenses mounted.   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dturano

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »
This reminds me of the amazon review, how the reviewer was much happier when he finally attached a lens to the camera, and suggested canon come up with a solution to the camera not taking great pictures out of the box.

If that's an absolute requirement to demonstrate this problem, then it's not a real problem at all - at least, it's not for those of us that prefer to take pictures with lenses mounted.   :P

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2012, 09:03:52 PM »

Makes you wonder how this issue was found in the first place!   ;)
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
My 5DmkII does not have this problem

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »
Remember, in real life, taking a picture, a lens would be on the camera, and wide open. There would be no visible or significant effect on the exposure in that case; the light coming in through the lens totally dominates, and that coming through the top LCD becomes insignificant.

You are wrong.  We are seeing the change from sunlight to shadow change the exposure by as much as 1/2 stop when the shooter moves from daylight to shadow in real shooting conditions.  I can confirm this with a bright sunlit beach photo shoot yesterday.

I tried that just now, no change in exposure from bright sun to shade as long as my viewfinder was covered.  Uncover the viewfinder, or hold it to your eye so even a little light leaks by, and there is a large change from very bright sun to shade (when focused on the same subject.)

Were you shooting in your tests with the viewfinder blocked so there was no influence from light leaking in thru the viewfinder??

Craig Richardson

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • In the Circle of Confusion
    • View Profile
    • Craig Richardson Photography
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2012, 09:27:13 PM »
My 7D does not have this issue.
Toronto based Photographer and IT Consultant
@c_richardson       www.CraigRichardson.ca

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
It seems that the real beta testing of the camera is taking place now...

planetMitch

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2012, 09:48:50 PM »
I'm constantly amazed at the reactions.

The problem clearly isn't understood totally yet... and still people already demanding product recalls and claiming this is a huge problem for Canon's reputation.

No product is perfect! EVER

No product is ever fully tested before it is released - it is impossible to test every situation in the lab.

I'm not saying this shouldn't be investigated and potentially improved, but let's not over-react

ImageZone

« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2012, 09:59:56 PM »
Geeeeez!
Now what is new??... Can't use the 70-200, can't use EOS Utility, now a light leak!!  Canon has really shot themselves in the foot with this one.  They need a major recall or offer a refund to all buyers.  I sure am glad I didn't pre-order one of these lemons.  $1,000 over the 5DII for two stops increase ISO sharpness...bend over here comes your cannon!

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »
I'm constantly amazed at the reactions.

The problem clearly isn't understood totally yet... and still people already demanding product recalls and claiming this is a huge problem for Canon's reputation.

No product is perfect! EVER

No product is ever fully tested before it is released - it is impossible to test every situation in the lab.

I'm not saying this shouldn't be investigated and potentially improved, but let's not over-react

+1

Even with my eyepiece blocked, I could get a lot more light into the camera with a bright light than I could thru the lcd.

I tried several ways to get the leakage to change a real world shot to no avail.  When holding the camera to your eye, far more light gets thru the viewfinderand does change the exposure when you go from shade to sun (wearing glasses as I do).  Without glasses, my eye might get a better seal to block more light. I need to try that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2012, 10:15:34 PM »
I'm California, right now is 2:17PM, temp at 82F, very sunny.
Lucky you......
Sometimes I have to wait days/weeks for a day with sunshine ....

Let me guess, you live in San Francisco?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:18:10 PM by dilbert »

PhotoMoose

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2012, 10:17:57 PM »
OK, I have done a few tests on the two bodies that I have and they both fail this test. But, as long as I don't shot with the LED light on there is no problem that I can see. With a lens mounted in very low light or darkened room I can not get the meter to change when I put a flashlight to the LED screen, so it seems ambient light is not effecting the meter. I have tried this test inside and out under different lighting conditions and can not get the meter to change. That seems to be good news and explains why I have not seen any strange metering effects. I can see how this would be an issue if you are shooting in low light and using your top LED screen a lot, but the rear 'info' LED screen gives you the same information and for me much easier to read. This will be interesting to follow, and I look forward to hearing more on the issue. 8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2012, 10:17:57 PM »