October 20, 2014, 07:57:16 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak?  (Read 25125 times)

Ryant

Re: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak?
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2012, 10:48:29 PM »
I dont think there is a light leak.

1. If I switch to P mode (never even knew I had a P mode, I am always in M)
2. With the lens cap on and I turn on the top lcd backlight I do see the change talked about.
3. If I take the lens cap off I dont seem to be having the same issue.
4. I shined a mag light at the top lcd screen and saw no change.
5. If you switch to A+ mode and I turn on the top lcd light even with the lens cap on I do not see any change in the evaluation from the camera.
6. I think that the fact that the case 1 and 5 are different suggest a software bug or something. Since my mag light does not seem to affect the exposure. I dont think there is a real leak at least from outside light. Anyhow who uses P mode? If you do why do you have such an expensive camera?

Ryan

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2012, 10:48:29 PM »

Kingw

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2012, 10:53:15 PM »
Just tested my 5d3, it has the same problem, most noticeable under very dark environments with the top LCD light ON. The exposure changed dramatically, a few stops.

I think this is related to a hardware design issue. I'm not sure how Canon can really "fix" this for the people who own the first batch of 5d3s by not doing recalls.

As a user I can try not to use the LCD light feature as much as possible when making an exposure, especially in dark environments. I can live with this so I'm not too worried, but still, who doesn't like a perfect product? Especially the illumination of the top LCD seems like such an important feature because Canon even made a button specifically for it at the most comfortable and reachable place. lol.

willhuff.net

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2012, 10:54:28 PM »
I could only get it to happen with the lens cap on, so this won't be an issue for me unless I'm shooting in total darkness.

MeHoo

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2012, 11:16:19 PM »
Mine does it.  It even changes a full second exposure if I tilt the camera towards the only light in my apartment that's on.. not much hitting the LCD...

I went out and did a shoot today, and I did notice some really weird metering issues.  Coming from the 7D, I am already fairly used to the metering changes that Canon has been making, but some of these were telling me to expose drastically wrong in spot meter mode.  I'm wondering if this really is a "non issue" as some are saying, or if this is a bigger issue.  Regardless, we need to hear from Canon on the matter.

On another note, I also got an Error 80 today.  That was fun.

Not all bright and fuzzy feelings anymore...

Steve Holmes

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2012, 11:21:32 PM »
I am seeing a 1/3-2/3 stop exposure change with a lens on both of my 5d3 bodies. This happens both when I have the LCD on and when I shine a small pen light onto the LCD. Will this affect me in the real world? Not really. I'll just have to remember not to turn the LCD on if I'm ever doing any night timelapse or other low light work in an automatic metering mode. The issue is definitely there for me, but it's not a concern.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2012, 12:06:18 AM »
I am seeing a 1/3-2/3 stop exposure change with a lens on both of my 5d3 bodies. This happens both when I have the LCD on and when I shine a small pen light onto the LCD. Will this affect me in the real world? Not really. I'll just have to remember not to turn the LCD on if I'm ever doing any night timelapse or other low light work in an automatic metering mode. The issue is definitely there for me, but it's not a concern.

Does the light leak when the mirror is up or just when it is down?

Steve Holmes

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2012, 12:08:17 AM »
I only tested it when it was down.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2012, 12:08:17 AM »

esi32

« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2012, 01:31:37 AM »
Does the light leak when the mirror is up or just when it is down?

I tested with the mirror up shining a 3 D-Cell maglight at the LCD at point blank range, and get no appreciable difference between two 1s exposures at ISO 25,600. So I'm confident in saying that no, the light leak, at least on my 5D-3, doesn't seem to reach the sensor.

For that matter, with a lens on the camera even in a dark room (metering <1/4, f/4, ISO 6400 / or <EV0) I can't get the backlight to alter the exposure in any appreciable way. (I.e if it's teetering on the edge between 1/4 and 1/5, it does so regardless of the backlight state.) For that matter, I see more fluctuation in the meter due to subtle camera movements changing the framing and the orientation/positioning of my eye to the viewfinder than there is from turning the LCD backlight on/off in these tests. Likewise, shooting into the dark from under a light and shading the LCD is making no discernible changes to the meter for me.

I should note my 5D-3 fails the test as given in the article. Likewise, the shine a light on the LCD test, not only does my 5D-3 fail, but so does my 1D-3 and I've never had an exposure/meter issue with that in the 2+ years I've had and used that body. Moreover, they seem to meter near identically for the same scene, lighting and framing, at least within my ability to control for errors.

albron00

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2012, 03:21:33 AM »
There is no such ea behavior on my 7D.
Whenever you're buying hard or software you become beta tester these days...

se7en

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2012, 04:29:21 AM »
This could potentially cause a real problem for those who routinely take photos with their lens cap on. Lets not take this lightly(No pun intended.)

Nassen0f

« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2012, 04:41:19 AM »
No change on my Mk2  :) thankfully

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2012, 04:55:37 AM »
Tried today outside with sun and shade.

With lens cap on the same issue as on the video

But WITHOUT the lens cap no issue.
Whatever I tried no issue !!!!

Conclusion NO problem for those who take pictures without the lens cap.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:00:07 AM by altenae »

dpinparis

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2012, 05:57:50 AM »
Tested and confirmed I have the same issue. I wonder if this will cause an issue with high ISO shots, especially at night with not many light sources.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2012, 05:57:50 AM »

MazV-L

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2012, 06:21:51 AM »
My 50D has this "problem" whereas my 5D classic does not.
Seems there must be some real Canon Haters out there that are going to all lengths to pick the 5Diii too pieces, who else would have dreamed up a test like this ???

DramaticIrony

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2012, 06:23:29 AM »
This could potentially cause a real problem for those who routinely take photos with their lens cap on. Lets not take this lightly(No pun intended.)

:)

Ah the lens cap! No wonder my photos all seem to have been underexposed!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2012, 06:23:29 AM »