August 28, 2014, 11:22:00 AM

Author Topic: Lightroom 4 RC 64-bit ??  (Read 5056 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Lightroom 4 RC 64-bit ??
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »
Neither Lightroom 4 beta, production, nor 4.1 rc has caused a issue or BSOD on my PC with win 7 64 bit.

I hope you find out whats happening.  I'd first check the video drivers, they are the most troublesome.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »

pjdavep

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
Googled stuff up. Found nothing. Never had issues before installing 4.1

I have a i7-950 @4Ghz, 12 GB RAM. 128GB SSD with 1.5TB Back-up HDD. I have a second set of 12 GB's that I swapped out and both sets had same issue.

Reinstalled.. works fine now (not installed LR4.1 yet... I am too scared): I say fine... but sometimes I will get BSOD's while the system is trying to sleep... which might be a driver issue, but before after 10 minutes of booting regardless of what i was doing, it would BSOD after every 10 minutes of logging into Win 7 Ultimate x64bit.

Again it could be just my system.

Could you possibly be running out of disc space on your OS drive?  Maybe LR4.1 installed some obnoxiously huge library?

Later, 
  pjdavep

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 04:34:24 PM »

I'm 99,9% sure it's your system - either some driver, but more likely it's simply that your hardware is broken. LR puts a heavy strain on a system, and it might be that a latent problem became apparent just when you ran LR41 and now you're stuck with it. It might be your memory or your cpu or ... these things can break when (over)heated, and random bsods are the symptom. Just that it passed a quck test at Intel or whatever doesn't mean its 100% ok - it's just like with lenses really, there is a degree of bad luck here.

The only way to find out is to debug it, i.e. replace all parts with working ones and then see if the problem persists. This is very tiresome, but there's no getting around this, because the worst situation is not when a system fails, but when it fails *sometimes* and unpredictably.

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 06:11:37 PM »

I have a i7-950 @4Ghz, 12 GB RAM. 128GB SSD with 1.5TB Back-up HDD. I have a second set of 12 GB's that I swapped out and both sets had same issue.

Reinstalled.. works fine now (not installed LR4.1 yet... I am too scared): I say fine... but sometimes I will get BSOD's while the system is trying to sleep... which might be a driver issue, but before after 10 minutes of booting regardless of what i was doing, it would BSOD after every 10 minutes of logging into Win 7 Ultimate x64bit.

What does your event log say - what BSOD do you get? And have you always had this with the O/C CPU? Have you tried with the system running without any O/C - would assume you have since you seem to be able to reproduce the issue fairly consistently.. ? Not saying I can help, but always willing :-)
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 09:44:43 PM »

What does your event log say - what BSOD do you get? And have you always had this with the O/C CPU? Have you tried with the system running without any O/C - would assume you have since you seem to be able to reproduce the issue fairly consistently.. ? Not saying I can help, but always willing :-)

Thanks. I have run the cpu at 4.3Ghz at 1.26v without issues. It's water cooled.

But at the time of BSOD's, I had it clocked down to 4, then stock 3.06, even tried 2.8 and 2.66Ghz... same issue. Perhaps it could have been a SSD filled up issue... but I doubt it since it showed 40GB free bfore Win 7 reintsall. NOw it is back up at 4Ghz, no problems, re-installed.  I guess I will try 4.1 again ... soon :-)

The funny thing is, when it BSoD's, it always did it 10 minutes after boot up, whether I was logged on Windows, active or inactive or even not logged on... it would just BSOD and restart... Every effin 10 minutes.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 04:40:33 AM »

Thanks. I have run the cpu at 4.3Ghz at 1.26v without issues. It's water cooled.

But at the time of BSOD's, I had it clocked down to 4, then stock 3.06, even tried 2.8 and 2.66Ghz... same issue. Perhaps it could have been a SSD filled up issue... but I doubt it since it showed 40GB free bfore Win 7 reintsall. NOw it is back up at 4Ghz, no problems, re-installed.  I guess I will try 4.1 again ... soon :-)

The funny thing is, when it BSoD's, it always did it 10 minutes after boot up, whether I was logged on Windows, active or inactive or even not logged on... it would just BSOD and restart... Every effin 10 minutes.
Disk space is unlikely to cause BSOD, SSD firmware has however been known to cause this esp. on OCZ SSDs. As you say if it does not reappear since the re-install, even with O/C then all is good. The fact that it occurred at login means that it is unlikely to be app related as no user context exists at this stage, so unless the app has installed system-level drivers (e.g. AV, FW), then it is most likely not that causing the issue, again eliminating LR as the culprit

Alas the reinstall also means we can't see inside the eventlog, which is of course where you want to look. If it does re-occur, would be good to know what the BSOD code / event id was as this often helps eliminate / narrow down the causes....

Finally, if it comes back with LR 4.x it would point more towards some issue with your graphics card / drivers, but was not aware of LR doing any system-level hooks - it just talks direct to your Gfx card. Again, eventlog with BSOD code should help confirm this.
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 05:21:22 AM »
Again, eventlog with BSOD code should help confirm this.

In my experience, the bsod codes aren't very helpful (but you are welcome to try :-)) because it mostly says "irql not less or equal" or similar second-level error codes. It's just like when someone dies: you're dead because your heart stops beating, but this is always the case and often not the real reason...

One possible debugging aid is to run a burn-in test on your subsystems (cpu, memory, gfx, ...) one at a time and see when it fails.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 05:21:22 AM »