December 22, 2014, 04:38:56 PM

Author Topic: AIFocus works!  (Read 1047 times)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
AIFocus works!
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:12:54 AM »
Ok, so I have been re-educating myself as the jump from the 300D to the 5D3 is bigger than I imagined (silly me!). So after figuring out how to shoot without a fill in flash  :), I decided it was time to check out AIFocus. A dragonfly obliged by dashing back and forth overhead (above the terrace). I had 5 tries and one was decent. I would have had more I guess if I had set it for continuous shooting I would have got more keepers - I typically set it at one shot so this is a learning... Here it is.

canon rumors FORUM

AIFocus works!
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:12:54 AM »

macrodust

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: AIFocus works!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:14:58 AM »
Ok, so I have been re-educating myself as the jump from the 300D to the 5D3 is bigger than I imagined (silly me!). So after figuring out how to shoot without a fill in flash  :), I decided it was time to check out AIFocus. A dragonfly obliged by dashing back and forth overhead (above the terrace). I had 5 tries and one was decent. I would have had more I guess if I had set it for continuous shooting I would have got more keepers - I typically set it at one shot so this is a learning... Here it is.

Congratulations on your new camera! For some reason I can't see your shot (maybe cos I'm on a mobile), but here's a recommendation: keep your camera in burst mode all the time just in case, and try setting the DOF preview button as a switch between one-shot and AI servo mode. You'll have to keep it pressed in while you're shooting to stay in AI servo mode, but it's a lot easier and faster than having to fiddle around in menus when you could be catching a great shot.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:19:37 AM by macrodust »
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 7D | EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS | EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake | EF 28mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 01:33:32 AM »

Congratulations on your new camera! For some reason I can't see your shot (maybe cos I'm on a mobile), but here's a recommendation: keep your camera in burst mode all the time just in case, and try setting the DOF preview button as a switch between one-shot and AI servo mode. You'll have to keep it pressed in while you're shooting to stay in AI servo mode, but it's a lot easier and faster than having to fiddle around in menus when you could be catching a great shot.

Thanks! I'll do that. Here is the link:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/2630/rpt0212a.jpg

Hope you can see this one...

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »
What AI focus does is try to determine if a subject is moving towards or away from you, or staying in the same plane.  Then, it selects either one shot or AI Servo.

Rather than have my camera guess (It will occasionally guess wrong), I set  AI Servo unless I am capturing a image of a stationary subject at a reasonable distance or on a tripod.  Even swaying 1/16 inch forward or backwards at macro distance is going to ruin a image.

Your camera detected this and used AI Servo.  AI Focus is like the green button for AF setting.

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »
What AI focus does is try to determine if a subject is moving towards or away from you, or staying in the same plane.  Then, it selects either one shot or AI Servo.

Rather than have my camera guess (It will occasionally guess wrong), I set  AI Servo unless I am capturing a image of a stationary subject at a reasonable distance or on a tripod.  Even swaying 1/16 inch forward or backwards at macro distance is going to ruin a image.

Your camera detected this and used AI Servo.  AI Focus is like the green button for AF setting.

Thanks! Your tip about the macro is what I will try this week. It is a pain to hold your breath and hold still shooting close up :)

I am praying that the fighter jets start their practices again soon. So want to snap them with the 100-400...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »