December 19, 2014, 11:47:54 AM

Author Topic: FoCal Pro Beta for 5D MK III AFMA  (Read 7316 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
FoCal Pro Beta for 5D MK III AFMA
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:19:50 PM »
Reikan foCal has released a beta for Pro users that supports AFMA of the 5D MK III with some limitations.  Its 5 or 6 weeks more before the SDK is released by Canon, so it is a clever work around.

I'll be trying it tomorrow on my 5D MK III.

For those who haven't heard of it, it will control your camera and do a semi automated autofocus micro adjustment.  I use it, it is accurate and useful. 
http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/

There are no free trials, you must buy it.  However, use this link for a discount  http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/mbp45/

canon rumors FORUM

FoCal Pro Beta for 5D MK III AFMA
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:19:50 PM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: FoCal Pro Beta for 5D MK III AFMA
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:30:45 PM »
I'm looking forward to your test results and subsequent post.

| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

YellowJersey

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:30:03 PM »
I'm looking forward to your test results and subsequent post.

As am I. I've been looking at FoCal for some time now.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:11:49 PM »
I spent a few hours today getting up to speed with it, it is a beta, so there are a few quirks.  I had difficulty with both my 100mm L and 85mm f/1.8 with consistent AF results, I had similar issues with those lenses on my 5D MK II and 7D.

I calibrated my 35mmL, 24-105mmL, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm 1.8, 100mmL so far.  Tests after the cal show razor sharp images.

I am planning to calibrate the long zooms tomorrow, since the setup is different for them.

They have added a lot of new features such as calculating the sharpest aperture of your lens, dust analysis, etc.  I did not get into those yet.

Because they have not yet received the SDK for the MK III, you must manually enter the AFMA settings into your camera before each series of exposures at that AFMA.  You get onscreen guidance, and a error message if you do it wrong.

For zooms, set your lens to wide or telephoto and it will recognize the setting and guide you to run the AFMA and set it into the body .  Then, zoom to the opposite extreme and run the AFMA again, setting the result into your body.  I did this again after setting both to see how much interaction there was.  I received the same result at wide the second time, so there is very little interaction at wide after setting the telephoto.  I did not have to set a large AFMA value, so it might be different if you set wide to -10 and tele to +17.  I'd then run the wide again with tele to +17 and see if it changed.

Even having to set AFMA manually, it still goes pretty quickly once you get the setuo and process down pat.

rwmson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Studios
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 07:46:41 AM »
Cool!  Thanks for the review.
Rebel T1i | G12 | 5D Mk III | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM AF | Canon Telephoto EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »
Given the result you are getting MT Spokane, i really wish i had done this with the mkiii i had a week ago or so.  Now with even more delays with the 1dx, i think i will just get another mkiii body and run it through this software and sell my mkii.

Thank you for the update once again.  Please do post your impression of the mkiii, really interested in your opinion.

Jacques
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

EvilTed

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:30:24 AM »
Hey Mt Spokane,

Thanks for the discount link :)

The page you get is different from the regular page.
On this you can check a box for 5D MK3 but with the discount link you cannot.
Does it make any difference?

Thanks

ET

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:30:24 AM »

rhommel

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 10:41:26 AM »
this looks interesting! thanks for the link!

how long does it take to calibrate 1 lens?  5-10 minutes tops?

also how often do you guys calibrate? every season/quarter/shoot?

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:02:56 AM »
It also looks interesting for me. I mainly shoot at f/1.2 - f/1.8, so does it really worth it? Is it better than manual testing and adjustment?
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
Thanks Mt. Spokane

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »
I mainly shoot at f/1.2 - f/1.8, so does it really worth it? Is it better than manual testing and adjustment?

If you shoot at wide apertures, AFMA is critical, IMO.   FoCal gives similar results (in my hands) to manual testing - but FoCal is a who lot easier since it automates the process (and the proper way to manually calibrate involves taking many, many shots).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
this looks interesting! thanks for the link!

how long does it take to calibrate 1 lens?  5-10 minutes tops?

also how often do you guys calibrate? every season/quarter/shoot?

Get the "PRO" version.

Go to the Licence Management system page and download the beta version at the bottom of the page.

Right now, for a 5D MK III, you must manually set AFMA, so I'd allow 30 minutes per prime lens lens and 60 minutes per zoom lens, after you install the software, print the targets, and get all the preparation done.

You need to setup as follows for each lens, thats part of the time estimate.

• Take some test shots to have a "Before" set of images.
  • Measure distance to the target
  • Use FoCal to align the camera and target to make sure it is parallel to the sensor and at the same heigh
  • Start test Set AFMA to zero
  • Follow on screen steps, manually setting the AFMA about 8-12 times depending on the accuracy options, it could be more.
  • Finally set the calculated AFMA in the body and duplicate the first set of test shots to confirm proper focus.
Note, for a zoom lens, run the test twice at wide and tele zoom.  I run it 1 more time at wide to make sure the tele setting did not affect the wide setting.

If the Canon SDK is released and the process can be done automatically, it will save a lot of time, maybe half.  It will also save your finger tips.  Manually setting the AFMA a hundred times and more gets them worn down.

I spent 6 hours doing 4 primes and a zoom, but I printed the latest version of the targets and mounted them to flat plexiglass and did a lot of fooling around installing the latest beta version of the software.

If the wind stops blowing and it doesn't rain today, I might get to my telephoto zooms.  I rather doubt if its worth AFMA for my 17mm or 15mm primes, they are in focus from a few feet to infinity anyway. AFMA at 2 ft doesn't tell you much, but it does tell you if AF is consistent.

npc2396

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
I wish I would have seen this thread on Saturday.  I just purchased the Pro version to use on my 7D and 5D III and I really like the software.  I've used the lens align product but prefer the automated software. 

Where do I get the beta version with 5D III support.  (never mind I see it now)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:26:33 PM by npc2396 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »
I wish I would have seen this thread on Saturday.  I just purchased the Pro version to use on my 7D and 5D III and I really like the software.  I've used the lens align product but prefer the automated software. 

I have the lens align product but i think this software is more user friendly and will likely save time to perform all the test...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 02:07:52 PM »

I have the lens align product but i think this software is more user friendly and will likely save time to perform all the test...

My vision is not the greatest, so unless i'm looking at a large monitor, I cannot see fine detail enough to determine small differences in sharpness.  This makes foCal give me better results than my Lens Align, but those with sharp vision can use either.

BTW, you can use your lens Align Target with Focal.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 02:07:52 PM »