July 24, 2014, 10:21:19 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark II vs 5D Mark III Comparison using same lens on a tripod  (Read 7239 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark II vs 5D Mark III Comparison using same lens on a tripod
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 12:14:03 AM »
I posted over 50 raw files comparing the 5Dmk2 and mk3 after micro adjust calibration on half a dozen lenses
personally I found the 5Dmk2 files marginally sharper however this was pixel peeping at 200%, overall those shots were pretty damn close with the mk3 files displaying lessmoire than the mk 2 files.
comparing out of camera jpg is useless IMO you have to compare raw files

pity after all that adjusting work my camera still could not focus properly, hopefully its replacement will :D

here is the link to those comparisons
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=4971.0
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:20:42 AM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 12:14:03 AM »

fotoworx

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 02:50:22 AM »
If my 5D2 was as soft as the images in Ron's review, I'd be sending it and the lens off to Canon.

There's been millions of posted images showing how good the 5D2 is over the last 3.5 years......c'mon honestly, those photos are just plain unacceptably soft and NOT indicative of a 5D2.

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 02:56:47 AM »
Aglet,
I can only say when you go to Nikon that we will all miss your constant writing on the low ISO banding crisis at Canon. You were way too patient with such a serious problem. What were you doing before joining on Feb 26th?

No worries, Bob.  I'm not "going" to Nikon, I'm merely adding them to my quiver of tools. I'll still be around to share anything new I find useful on the virtues and flaws of various hardware I encounter, whatever the nameplate. :)

Before Feb 26th?...  shooting, learning, lurking here (from the beginning) hoping for news the next generation of hardware would not exhibit said pattern noise (which, it seems, got worse before it gets better), and otherwise not expanding my range of knowledge beyond the big red "C" paradigm that I've shot with for the last 35 years.
I'm leaving out other details, like my day job, prob'ly not relevant. ;)

hoghavemercy

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 04:32:45 AM »
100 ISO on the 5d III looks a lot cleaner than the 5DII, thanks for the comparison. 8)

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 10:16:57 AM »
Aglet,
I can only say when you go to Nikon that we will all miss your constant writing on the low ISO banding crisis at Canon. You were way too patient with such a serious problem. What were you doing before joining on Feb 26th?

No worries, Bob.  I'm not "going" to Nikon, I'm merely adding them to my quiver of tools. I'll still be around to share anything new I find useful on the virtues and flaws of various hardware I encounter, whatever the nameplate. :)

Before Feb 26th?...  shooting, learning, lurking here (from the beginning) hoping for news the next generation of hardware would not exhibit said pattern noise (which, it seems, got worse before it gets better), and otherwise not expanding my range of knowledge beyond the big red "C" paradigm that I've shot with for the last 35 years.
I'm leaving out other details, like my day job, prob'ly not relevant. ;)

Aglet that is news. If you left everyone would forget how bad Canon is at low ISO and what a problem we should have. A constant flow from you keeps everyone on edge. ;)

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 11:55:36 AM »
Aglet that is news. If you left everyone would forget how bad Canon is at low ISO and what a problem we should have. A constant flow from you keeps everyone on edge. ;)

gosh, I'd hate to foster complacency; tends to stifle innovation and reduce overall awareness.  ;D

BTW - during my hardware renaissance I've discovered a few other differences in design philosophy between the major mfrs. Minor things but they can add up to daily annoyances.  I'll save those for another time.  (Cough! sensor-dust Cough! cough!) ;)

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »
100 ISO on the 5d III looks a lot cleaner than the 5DII, thanks for the comparison. 8)

Remember this is only yusing jpeg.  We have not seen this when using raw file...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 07:43:36 PM »
Damn, don't you love all of the arguing? I called a reputable camera store and had a salesman tell how much better the 5d3 was regarding IQ versus my 5d2. His exact words: "The sensor is a completely new architecture and produces MUCH BETTER RESOLUTION and COLORS!!"

I find that extremely hard to believe. He did state that the ISO 12,800 shots were astonishing, which I have to generally agree with. They are nice, from what I've seen online. I will not upgrade to the 5d3 unless I "master" my mk2 and it cannot do something I need it to.

Regarding the D800, yes the DR looks unreal. That is Nikon's (or Sony's I should say) bread and butter. They thrive in that technical area. To me, I always thought Canons produced nicer colors. I did preorder a D800 and can't wait to do some landscapes. But if I was going for one system vs. the other, Canon has a much better selection of affordable glass. And their telephotos are much newer. Short primes, OTOH, are what Nikon has been devoting all R&D towards. Each has their strength. choose what you like and tread lightly on others.
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 08:36:55 PM »
My RAWs clearly show the 5Dmk2 edges the mk3 out in sharpness at iso 100

i havent posted high ISO ones however from my observations the "quality" of the noise on the mk3 is significantly better than the mk2 allowing you to imporve it significantly using good NR software
for this reason 12800 is useable and even 25600 can be cleaned up sufficently in post to achieve decent results
or leave the more grain like noise in the image for that more vintage feel.

I have no doubt at high iso the 5Dmk3 is great

Again I have no interest in jpg files out of the camera as they give a false representation of the facts
RAW comparisons are the only true indication but until final raw processing software is available its too hard to make definative calls on which is better.
APS-H Fanboy

fotoworx

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 03:19:27 AM »
This is really a totally BS thread and a BS review.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 03:19:27 AM »