September 23, 2014, 02:45:37 PM

Author Topic: T3i Showing up \  (Read 11745 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: T3i Showing up \
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 04:30:35 PM »
And just how the heck am I supposed to do that, Mr. Know-it-All, if I don't have the latest, greatest, capuccino-makingest dSLR?!?!?

:-) ... I've got another, much more real problem: my laptop is so slow that it takes LR forever to process the tons of pictures pictures I took in the past with 6fps and bracketing, so where would I get the time to go outside and new ones?!?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 04:30:35 PM »

facedodge

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »
If what you says is true - the t4i would be a major disappointment for those waiting until the latest in technology came along.

You'll always be disappointed when buying tech stuff - this is called "planned obsolescence". And you'll always want the next better model - this is called "marketing". To get around these problems, go outside and take pictures :-p

The Rebel is a trickle down technology camera. Unless the technology is consumer oriented, like the creative auto features. You are not likely to get much pro upgrades that you are looking for. I think Canon needs to give DLSR a fighting chance at the larger than compact /smaller than pro body market that the mirrorless cameras are trying to achieve.

One thing that benefits the DSLR is that the mirrorless still have to put on a lens. If Canon can reduce the size of the rebel by 10-15%, it should be a higher IQ alternative to mirrorless.

facedodge

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 04:34:37 PM »
One thin we might see are EF-S lenses with compact zoom capabilities... something like an EF-S 15-100 f/4-f5.6 that is no larger than the 50 1.8. Add that to a smaller rebel and you have something that is comparible to the mirrorless, but with better IQ.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 04:38:36 PM »
One thing that benefits the DSLR is that the mirrorless still have to put on a lens. If Canon can reduce the size of the rebel by 10-15%, it should be a higher IQ alternative to mirrorless.

... you're saying this because you think that Canon lenses are better than those of the current mirrorless generations? Well, don't count on that, I don't think it's that hard to create a decent zoom, and few people will put L lenses on a xxxd body. And mirrorless bodies might even have IS built-in so you don't need it in the lens and even stabilize the viewfinder unlike Sony dslrs.

So I also think that for Canon's entry dslrs, the writing's on the wall because the only difference in mirrorless bodies is that - well, they're mirrorless, meaning no optical viewfinder. And unless you're old school and rely on that, there's no inherent difference at all.

facedodge

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 04:48:02 PM »
While the DSLR advantage is the viewfinder mostly and faster AF, the sensors haven't caught up IMO. The IQ from a Rebel is superior to all of the sub $1000 mirrorless cameras I've seen.

dichiaras

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 06:27:34 PM »
While the DSLR advantage is the viewfinder mostly and faster AF, the sensors haven't caught up IMO. The IQ from a Rebel is superior to all of the sub $1000 mirrorless cameras I've seen.

Mirrorless?
Who gives a damn (sorry): Canon has already a lot of catchup to do for its crop sensor DSLR lineup. So, now, when and in which model are they finally going to present a new sensor?
Even a 7D mkII would be fine, as long as I can see some meaningful technological advance taking place. ::)

PS I don't consider a 3D-swiveling-gyroscopic-wifi-HD-touch-screen a meaningful technological advance.

ctmike

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 10:05:23 PM »
I'm guessing Canon prefers a staggered launch approach of the various crop for marketing reasons?

What if... and I know, big if... Canon simultaneously anounces multiple updates across the crop lineup and lets the price points and features be what separates things? Wishful thinking, I know. But man would I love a new crop sensor this year. And timing/price will make that determination!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 10:05:23 PM »

tntwit

• Rebel SL1
  • Enthusiastic Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 04:04:51 AM »

So I also think that for Canon's entry dslrs, the writing's on the wall because the only difference in mirrorless bodies is that - well, they're mirrorless, meaning no optical viewfinder. And unless you're old school and rely on that, there's no inherent difference at all.

First off,  one of the biggest complaints I have heard about mirrorless cameras IS the lack of an optical viewfinder.  EVFs are fine for indoor applications, but they suffer outdoors, lag when panning, and fall behind when continuously shooting.  My understanding is that some are better than others and it sounds as if Sony may have beat some or most of that, but I believe that is on the higher priced models (A65?).

Second, I have a T3i and a Panasonic GF3 and I can tell you that, as much as I love the GF3 for what it's good at, it's no replacement for a DSLR, and not because of it's minimal amount of controls.  It's biggest disadvantage (to me) is shutter lag, which is why I bought my first DSLR back in 2004 over an advanced compact (which were selling for roughly the same price at the time).  When I press the shutter on the T3i, I pretty much get what I see in the viewfinder.  With the GF3, not so much.  Not that it's terrible, mind you, but there is a noticeable lag (still far better than a typical compact), and I hate not getting what I saw.  Now, I don't know how these two particular cameras shake out for hard data on shutter lag, I just know what I experience over and over using both cameras.  I don't know if shutter lag is inherent to the mirrorless design or if maybe there are mirrorless cameras out there that can compare to a DSLR, but I'm betting that they are at a price point not competitive with the Rebel line (like maybe the NEX7N).

Having said that, I love the GF3 for what it IS good for and that is much better portability while still delivering much better performance (shutter lag, focus speed) and IQ than the Canon SD790 I was using as a portable camera.  Plus, for video it has continuous auto focus (yes, I'm an amateur, and yes, I use the T3i for video as well with manual focus).  The live view on the GF3 is worlds ahead of the Canon which for some situations is nice, such as indoors, or when it is more convenient to hold the camera somewhere not at eye level.  But, when portability is not an issue, I reach for the DSLR every time.  Now, except for a friends two older Olympus cameras, I haven't used any other mirrorless cameras for comparison, but professional reviews I have read seem to all have the same sentiment that mirrorless cameras are great but are not a replacement for DSLRs. 

Bottom line, if the entry level DSLRs are threatened by mirrorless, than it would seem to follow that eventually all DSLRs will be threatened (and maybe that's a good thing). I do believe the Rebel line is behind in areas such as live view and continuous auto focus, and I believe they will catch up, but in the mean time, the DSLR still has the advantage overall (to me).  My biggest fear is that Canon will abandon the EF/EF-S mount like they did to me with the FD mount on my T-70 way back when.
60D, 15-85 IS, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 10-20, 70-300 IS Non L, 430EX II, Vanguard GH-100, Panasonic GF3, 14-42, 14 f2.5

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 05:20:46 AM »
RE: SLR vs mirrorless:

* anyone saying a Rebel has better IQ than any mirrorless clearly hasn't used a recent Sony mirrorless, or read much about them; the NEX-5N, for the same price, has 1.5 stops more DR, 0.5 stops lower noise, much better tonal range, much better color sensitivity; there's no metric in which the Rebel wins; it's in the features that the 5N is loosing (no OVF and no phase detect AF, obviously, but also no flash, and even no EVF), but IQ is clearly superior
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/737%7C0/(brand)/Sony/(appareil2)/692%7C0/(brand2)/Canon

* the recent dissection over at the LensRentals blog, of a D7000 and a NEX-5N, is a clear view into past and future: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/undressing-an-nex http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/04/d7000-dissection

* this gives manufacturers all the incentive in the world to develop good-enough EVF units and in-sensor AF techniques; Sony is nearly there, in 5 years the OVF will be history (well, maybe in the super-high-end models it will survive) (if you haven't seen the benefits of an EVF in terms of on-screen displays, you're missing big: peaking, zoom-in for focus, zebras, histograms, waveforms, cropmarks... you think you can live without them, but it's only because you don't have them yet)

but no, I don't think the next rebel will be mirrorless, Canon has been very slow in this game

we'll see...

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 07:04:58 AM »
Sony is nearly there, in 5 years the OVF will be history

The EVF I've seen on the sony dlsrs look horrible to me because they are - well - electronic. As long as I cannot confuse a OFV and a EVF the second I look through it, I don't want a EVF. Besides, it drains power or goes black, something I don't like about the Sonys. But of course you're right, the writing's on the wall, and only some old school guys will stick to the old ways in a decade. The question is if we can all throw away our ef lenses by then, or maybe there will be some second rate converter...

SwiftShot

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 07:28:50 AM »
BTT: One of germany's largest retailers (Media Markt) is currently not providing the 600D in it's online store. And that is for the first time ever. Sounds similar to the news here. Let's wait and see what's gonna happen.

tylerfrankling

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 07:37:14 AM »
I have been waiting on the 650D since February. I have a 550D at the moment, however I want to upgrade as someone has offered to buy my 550D from me and as someone who does more video than photography, the 600D looked quite attractive, tilting screen mainly. However, knowing the XXXD release schedule, I am hoping it will come very soon.

New features I think there will be (or at least hope):
-Better Image Quality: The newer the camera, the safer it is to assume that it will be better image quality.
-Some of the more video based features seen in the new 5D, of course, it won't have all the same features as a higher up camera, but I would love to see a headphone jack.
-Some more effects.
-Still an SLR I hope.

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 08:07:15 AM »
Well i just got into photography lately and just bought myself a 1100D cuz i didnt want to wait for the 650D anymore. Plus the 1100D is a lot cheaper and i really dont care about the body quality. Its not as bad as people always say online imho. I guess many people just repeat what they heard and cuz theyre so influenced by online talk they instantly say "uhh this camera feels so cheap" when they touch it in reality.
Im a really slow photographer too :3

Uhm anyway hope the 650D brings some new nice features and isnt just some crappy update (and the new feature is...longer battery life! and 0,5 MP more!!! .......................   ) Hope its not mirrorless too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 08:07:15 AM »

mrdiger

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 08:32:21 AM »
BTT: One of germany's largest retailers (Media Markt) is currently not providing the 600D in it's online store. And that is for the first time ever. Sounds similar to the news here. Let's wait and see what's gonna happen.

Hi, i am from Germany too.
Unbelievable information, i went to the mediamarkt homepage often and look for the actual 600d pricing.
On sunday the 600d was listed "on stock" in all bundle variations, but now it´s completly out of order.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:35:17 AM by mrdiger »

SwiftShot

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
Hi, i am from Germany too.
Unbelievable information, i went to the mediamarkt homepage often and look for the actual 600d pricing.
On sunday the 600d was listed "on stock" in all bundle variations, but now it´s completly out of order.

That's exactly what I've been doing for months now. I have been waiting for the 599€ offer to buy it. but now...i have no idea what's happening.
Saturn still got it, Amazon still got it...but you never know :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »