October 23, 2014, 08:34:58 AM

Author Topic: Eye-Fi usage on 5D3, with C1, C2, C3?  (Read 1140 times)

switchskier

Eye-Fi usage on 5D3, with C1, C2, C3?
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »
So I just received my 5D3, love everything about it, but had one idea that I can't seem to make work how I wanted, so I present it here:

The plan is to use an Eye-Fi card in the SD and send jpegs over to my iPhone linked in direct mode while I'm out shooting for instant upload to facebook, twitter, insta.. whatever. I don't want every shot to be a jpeg, just want to be able to choose a photo here and there to send to the iPhone. I figured out the one shot RAW+jpeg thing and tied that function to the M.Func button and that works beautifully, I can shoot all RAW and then decide the my next shot should be a jpeg, press the M.Func button, shoot and I have a RAW+ jpeg recorded, then the camera goes right back to shooting RAW only. The next step is to have RAWs recorded to the CF card and jpegs recorded to the Eye-Fi SD. This I figured out pretty easily as well but when setting the record separately function on the cards I lost the ability to do the one shot RAW+jpeg thing, the camera shoots a jpeg and a RAW on every shot (not what I wanted).

Next I thought I could outsmart this problem by using the custom setting modes on the main dial (C1,C2,C3) and tie one of the modes to only shoot jpegs and use card 2 (Eye-Fi SD) instead of my default card 1 (CF). This way if I was in the field and decided my next shot should be a jpeg for instant sharing on my iPhone, I just spin the main dial to C1, shoot, then turn the dial back to whatever mode I was shooting in. The quality setting of jpeg is setable to a custom preset mode (C1) but the card onto which to record seems not to be... Canon if you're listening maybe a firmware update? Anyway, if anyone here has suggestions on how to accomplish this one off jpeg to an SD card idea I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

Eye-Fi usage on 5D3, with C1, C2, C3?
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Eye-Fi usage on 5D3, with C1, C2, C3?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:44:48 PM »
If you're wanting to run the SD card as a parallel back-up, I guess this doesn't help, but why not shoot just RAW to the CF card and just JPEG to the EyeFi card? 

I was actually playing with the C1, C2, C3 settings last night and I thought that you could tie the recording scheme to them, but they are separated out and I can see pluses and minuses both for that decision.

fotoray

• EOS M2
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »
If you're wanting to run the SD card as a parallel back-up, I guess this doesn't help, but why not shoot just RAW to the CF card and just JPEG to the EyeFi card? 

I was actually playing with the C1, C2, C3 settings last night and I thought that you could tie the recording scheme to them, but they are separated out and I can see pluses and minuses both for that decision.

Can you share your pluses and minuses?  Thanks!
5D Mk III | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-85 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 DO | EF-S 60 macro | EF 100L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:42:12 AM »
Sure.

Plus example of allowing recording format to be linked to C:
Say you have your "Hail Mary"/preferred setting in your C3 position(shutter, aperture, picture profile, focus set-up, RAW recording) and you're out and you're just playing around and you're just shooting S-JPEG's and you see something that you want a "real" shot of and you only have one chance so you spin the dial and all your preferred setting's are there and now you're shooting RAW.  You didn't have to go into the menu to change from JPEG to RAW and you got your shot.

Minus example of linking recording format to C:
You didn't realize that when you set-up your C position that recording was set to S-JPEG.  You're out shooting some landscapes in RAW and all of a sudden you see an eagle in flight and one of your C settings is set up to deal with that type of shooting, so you spin the dial to it and fire of a great sequence only to realize later that it was a sequence of S-JPEGs instead of RAW like you had been shooting just a moment before.

You can think of any number of examples and combinations(I have a good one involving sports and writing separately to two cards), I just made those up to illustrate that it could be a good thing to tie it to the C positions or it could bite you, too.  They could have given you the option to link it or not, but they probably made the best decision to not link it because I can picture a lot more people being burned by it than being saved by it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:42:12 AM »