December 11, 2017, 04:46:31 AM

Author Topic: Manual Focus using 700D - Wow!  (Read 16593 times)

eninja

• EOS 80D
Re: Manual Focus using 700D - Wow!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 05:22:53 AM »
Its been two weekends I used 6D and 700D with 35mm and 85mm.

first weekends. 700D + 85mm was flawless. All my shots was spot on using viewfinder AF.
6D + 35mm also give a nice landscape background.

2nd weekends. I switch lens. 700D + 35mm. sucks!. - most of subject came out blur,
- i have tested this combination and it does front focus. but i thought i could fix this by setting higher aperture value, or increasing subject distance.. but it didn't it still front focusing....???? why is this?
6D and 70D. 24-70 F4L IS and 50 F1.2L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 05:22:53 AM »

pablo

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 08:29:34 PM »
Tell us about your subject distance.

Closer subject distance (as may be inferred by shorter FL) makes dof more critical, and zone focusing harder.

Tell us about your AF mode. 

One Shot is great for where your moving person was.  AiServo is better for predicting where your moving subject is.

Can you post some of the pics.. could it be motion or camera blur rather than an AF error?

MF is virtually impossible with the Rebels, and if IMHO any EOS without a modified focus screen.  Unless you are in live view.

Are you using the OVF or live view LCD?

eninja

• EOS 80D
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 09:51:23 PM »
I conclude its probably AFMA problem thing.
What's my option to solve this problem.
My last option, I will just used 85mm 1.8 exclusively for my 700D
using 35mm IS on 700D - not getting good result.

This was the test I've done last night.
I post the starburst on a wall.

I set my camera to manual, back button focus, AF one shot. My shutter speed a least 1/80.
I step back, subject distance varies.. AF point either center or right most AF point.
I manual focus lens to defocus on subject and AF on the subject (I did these repeatedly)

These are the result I get.
Half of them are a blur
1/4 of them just a bit blur (noticeable blur)
1/4 of them sharp

When I mount 35mm on my 6D. 60% of them are sharp and the rest just a bit not sharp.

6D and 70D. 24-70 F4L IS and 50 F1.2L

Ruined

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »
So I got myself a part time shooting client on weekends in the park.
I like the simplicity of a prime lens so I got 35mm IS and 85mm 1.8. - plus one body 6D.
To avoid changing lens all the time, I decided to get another body.
with low budget I only get to choose crop body. - I got a brand new 700D with 18-55 stm at bargain price.

On the first night, testing view finder AF - its so cheap that I could not use it professionally, plus no back button focus, very hard to choose af points - i was like holding a toddler's toy camera. Live view auto focus is good but I could not find myself moving my hand here and there while taking shots. So I post it for sale on the next day.

Nobody confirmed to buy it. So I play it on my second night.
Trying my best to give it a place on my shoot.
Mount my 85mm. and say I might as well try Manual Focus on this thing.

Suddenly, bam! bam! Its so easy and fast to nail manual focus on this thing using live view. And the swivel screen was perfect for this.

I suddenly fall inlove with manual focus, not the 700D. lol. :)
big problem with 700D, exposure setting. - NO MINIMUM SHUTTER SPEED AND ISO step is 1 STOP?????!!
so now im keeping 700D for a while, upgrade to 70D later.

now its the lens issue. 85mm on crop is to narrow for me.
looking on a good manual focus prime now!

Might want to try 50mm f/1.2L.  It is a superb manual focus lens (does auto, too) and the aperture is ideal for crop's low ISO requirements.  Plus, it will give the the 80mm FOV you likely desired out of the 85mm.  Results are very similar to the 85L II, just less sharp.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »