October 21, 2014, 11:41:43 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X Delays  (Read 28152 times)

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Delays
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »

Snce you already shoot with a 1 series Brian i can see how you would be less excited by the mkiii.  I have never owned a 1series myself but this is why i decided to go for the 1dx instead, the little things it will do more then the mkiii will mean a lot for me!

;)

I've been shooting with 1D series for 6 years and still I'm impressed with 5DIII AF. Strange world out there :)

I can see the 5DIII replacing the 1Ds3, but there is just too much missing to replace the 1D4 - particularly the AF point linked metering which will mean missed shots from under/over exposure. I have followed the guidlines for the 1D4 AF

http://www.canonrumors.com/files/1dm4cfnguide.pdf

and my keeper rate (from in focus images) is very high - so to me AF is a non problem

Yeah some of the early post from the 1dx show very good metering and shadow rendering...very impressing!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »

FastLife

« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2012, 05:25:15 AM »
I am just hoping it comes out before December.  I am hoping to shoot my own wedding with it!  Plus how are they planning on building this thing, do they have a separate dedicated 1dx factory.  They seem to have only recently started catching up on 5dIII production, if they are still cranking out those, where are they planning on making the 1dx?

Lastly what are they actually doing between then they annouced the 1dx and now?  Since they already had pre-production models presumably they were close to having it ready to go, otherwise why announce it?  If there was a problem with the camera why don't they just fix it then release the camera?

....so many questions, so few answers! 

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2012, 08:37:31 AM »
In all my asking I've not got any answers on the delay. The only semi-answer I've had is that it's being finished off to make sure it's perfect, since it's a pro product... They have said they're fixing it with some accessory. I wonder if that's some lens or lenses? Maybe they feel they rushed some elements of the 5d3 (with the 200mm 1.8?2.0?) and they need to do a good check through everything?

tbh I doubt they're upgrading any important specs. Just a guess, but April to June is not long enough to change anything serious about the camera IMO. It would put them months back with testing and they've had pre-production models since October so their hardware would have been locked down months ago I guess.

The only one I'd imagine might somehow sneak in is the f8 issue - it seems from the 5d3 that f8 with a fair few lenses was working well enough. Maybe they feel they can make that work? Not sure.

All guesses of course...

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
In all my asking I've not got any answers on the delay. The only semi-answer I've had is that it's being finished off to make sure it's perfect, since it's a pro product... They have said they're fixing it with some accessory. I wonder if that's some lens or lenses? Maybe they feel they rushed some elements of the 5d3 (with the 200mm 1.8?2.0?) and they need to do a good check through everything?

tbh I doubt they're upgrading any important specs. Just a guess, but April to June is not long enough to change anything serious about the camera IMO. It would put them months back with testing and they've had pre-production models since October so their hardware would have been locked down months ago I guess.

The only one I'd imagine might somehow sneak in is the f8 issue - it seems from the 5d3 that f8 with a fair few lenses was working well enough. Maybe they feel they can make that work? Not sure.

All guesses of course...

Another possibility could be they are experiencing production issue or delays in getting some of the new parts in large quantities since a lot of them  must be new...  Just like you i also doubt they are upgrading any specs unfortunately.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

kozakm

« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2012, 09:23:29 AM »

All guesses of course...

I have a document describing some known bugs in preproduction version od 1D X. I can't be specific, but I'd say they are all typical for a brand new product - no serious issue there.

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »
I've official confirmation that CPS members, including Platinum ones, won't be getting cameras until June either.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2012, 10:18:47 AM »

All guesses of course...

I have a document describing some known bugs in preproduction version od 1D X. I can't be specific, but I'd say they are all typical for a brand new product - no serious issue there.

Thanks.  How did you come across this document?  Are you working for Canon?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2012, 10:18:47 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2012, 10:32:19 AM »

From the previous pictures and blog posting, kozakm received a 1D X camera from Canon for testing.  I know from other experiences (scientific equipment, software beta testing) that when I get a prerelease product, I almost get a list of known issues so I'm not surprised by them and/or can work around them, so I don't bother reporting them to the manufacturer, etc. 

I am hoping to shoot my own wedding with it!

:o

Sit yourself down in a chair.  Now...grab the bottom of the chair and lift yourself and the chair up off the floor.  Being the photographer at your own wedding will be about 5 times harder than that.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

briansquibb

« Reply #173 on: April 16, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »

Sit yourself down in a chair.  Now...grab the bottom of the chair and lift yourself and the chair up off the floor.  Being the photographer at your own wedding will be about 5 times harder than that.

It will be OK - his wife is the second shooter :D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 16, 2012, 10:40:44 AM »

Then who's the videographer?!?   :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 16, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »

Good one!

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 16, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »

From the previous pictures and blog posting, kozakm received a 1D X camera from Canon for testing.  I know from other experiences (scientific equipment, software beta testing) that when I get a prerelease product, I almost get a list of known issues so I'm not surprised by them and/or can work around them, so I don't bother reporting them to the manufacturer, etc. 

Ah ok now that make sense.  Also reassuring there does not seem to be anything major holding the production down...

:P

briansquibb

« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2012, 10:44:02 AM »

Then who's the videographer?!?   :o

The priest - the only person to get a frontal view during the ceremony  8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2012, 10:44:02 AM »

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #178 on: April 16, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »

All guesses of course...

I'm not surprised by that. I think if there were serious issues, cameras wouldn't be available to people..

kozakm

« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »

Exactly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »