November 22, 2017, 09:10:08 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Spot Meter  (Read 28607 times)

Ricku

• EOS 7D Mark II
Re: 5D Mark III Spot Meter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 05:35:27 PM »
I cant believe it cant do this, considering the cost of the camera.

As I and others have stated, Canon needs to differentiate their lines.  The 1D X has AF point-linked spot metering (as did previous 1-series bodies).  Unfortunately, Canon isn't likely to put all of the 1-series features in a lesser body, despite the fact that everyone seems to think they should.  Honestly, I was really surprised that Canon put the 1D X's AF sensor into the 5DIII, something I'm sure you can appreciate having shot with the 5DII.

and here you should please explain me why nikon offer this function even on their $600 entry level dslr if it's something so special that has to be available only on canon's flagship (and maybe we even have to thank for it...)
So true. Nikon also offer pro AF and weather sealing on all their cameras.

It seems that they care more about sales as a whole than messing around with silly market segmentation.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 05:35:27 PM »

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 05:47:45 PM »
Canon somehow forgot to add this feature on the 5D3. However, it is avalible on the D800, together with other nifty features like facial tracking and an overall better sensor.

Yes, those features will come in quite handy for portraits with the Nikon 85mm f/1.2 lens, or the truly excellent Nikon 135mm f/2.  Oh, wait..... :o

;D ;D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
and here you should please explain me why nikon offer this function even on their $600 entry level dslr if it's something so special that has to be available only on canon's flagship (and maybe we even have to thank for it...)

I'd be happy to explain, just as soon as you explain why Nikon doesn't offer something as simple and useful as the C1-C3 custom modes, or for that matter, why that feature was so special that while even my PowerShot S100 has a C mode, the 1-series bodies prior to the 1D X didn't even offer it?  Oh, nevermind...

It seems that they (Nikon) care more about sales as a whole than messing around with silly market segmentation.

Perhaps...but caring more about sales as a whole hasn't helped Nikon, since they're still lagging way behind Canon on dSLR market share, despite putting 'pro' features in their lower bodies for years.  Clearly, 'caring more' does not mean succeeding...
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

spinworkxroy

• EOS 80D
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 07:58:38 AM »
I've been trying to find this info in the manual but i can't..what page is it that explains about only center point being used for metering?
I understand spot metering is ONLY on center point..that's been there since forever…
But what about other metering?
I know evaluative metering works at any point but what about center-weighted and partial?
Are those also ONLY for center point or do they work on other points as well…

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 08:56:28 AM »
But what about other metering?
I know evaluative metering works at any point but what about center-weighted and partial?
Are those also ONLY for center point or do they work on other points as well…

What do you mean by, work with other points?  Metering works regardless of which AF point you select. But outside of the 1-series, only evaluative metering takes into account the AF point that you select.  Partial metering is essentially an expanded spot meter with a larger circle - that circle is centered on the center AF point.  Center-weighted is just that; not sure why anyone would be think that it should be weighted anywhere other than the center?  FWIW, on 1-series bodies, only spot metering is AF point linked - partial and center weighted metering work just like they do on every other Canon body (although the size of the partial metering circle, just like the spot metering circle, differs on different cameras)

spinworkxroy

• EOS 80D
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 09:38:36 AM »
Eh, maybe i rephrase my question.

For example, when using zone AF..if for example i use center-weighted metering, but i move the zone to the bottom most left corner (for a landscape shot for example), does the camera do the metering from the CENTER of the screen or does it do metering on the zone at the bottom most left that i moved the AF to?
I'm asking because for example, i'm doing an AF on a rock on the bottom left and i want the exposure to be based on that rock rather than the middle of the frame…or do i have to do an AE lock on the rock, and then reframe the shot?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 10:09:10 AM »

For example, when using zone AF..if for example i use center-weighted metering, but i move the zone to the bottom most left corner (for a landscape shot for example), does the camera do the metering from the CENTER of the screen or does it do metering on the zone at the bottom most left that i moved the AF to?
I'm asking because for example, i'm doing an AF on a rock on the bottom left and i want the exposure to be based on that rock rather than the middle of the frame…or do i have to do an AE lock on the rock, and then reframe the shot?

Center-weighted is center weighted, regardless of the AF point/zone you select. 

When using any metering mode other than evaluative, if you want to meter on a specific part of the scene, you must do just that - set to spot metering mode, put the spot metering circle where you want to meter, press AE lock, then recompose and take the shot.  Evaluative biases the metering toward the selected AF point, but still averages the entire scene (and compared it to the database of stored image parameters).

This diagram shows how the metering is weighted (the coverages are from the 7D; the 5DIII is 6.2% for partial and 1.5% for spot - see p. 167 of the 5DIII manual.

Only evaluative is linked to the AF point.  On 1-series bodies, spot metering can also be linked to the AF point (or iteratively sampled from up to 8 points in the scene then averaged, called multi-spot metering).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:12:27 AM by neuroanatomist »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 10:09:10 AM »

wink03

• Canonflex
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 08:34:39 PM »
Almost have the reversed problem:

When I'm at evaluative metering, shifting around the AF-point severely adjusts the metering. Almost the function you seem to wish for...

But when you're expecting normal evaluative metering, it kind of throws you off.

How can I turn off linking the evaluative metering to the AF-points??? Can't find it anywhere in the menus or manual.

Thanks

I don't think this has been answered yet and I have the same question. 

I always use single point autofocus.  But, for example, if I am focusing on something white--even if that white thing is only a very small portion of the whole picture--the image is underexposed.  And vice versa when I focus on something that is a dark color.  The autofocus point is acting like a very precise spot meter. 

Is there a way to turn off linking the evaluative metering and the focus point?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »

No, there isn't.

carterart

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 05:53:58 PM »
Almost have the reversed problem:

When I'm at evaluative metering, shifting around the AF-point severely adjusts the metering. Almost the function you seem to wish for...

But when you're expecting normal evaluative metering, it kind of throws you off.

How can I turn off linking the evaluative metering to the AF-points??? Can't find it anywhere in the menus or manual.

Thanks

I don't think this has been answered yet and I have the same question. 

I always use single point autofocus.  But, for example, if I am focusing on something white--even if that white thing is only a very small portion of the whole picture--the image is underexposed.  And vice versa when I focus on something that is a dark color.  The autofocus point is acting like a very precise spot meter. 

On MKII the evaluative metering was independent from the focal point. Surely that is what evaluative metering is for??? The MKII became the camera of choice for landscapers because of this function and being full frame. I am not happy that MKIII is metering so differently. So much so I want my MKII back. It is driving me mad.

keithfullermusic

• EOS 7D Mark II
    • k2focus.com | photography
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 06:21:57 PM »
The easiest way to fix this is to just shoot in manual.  If you're outside taking pictues of people and letting the camera meter for you it's going to be off a lot of the time.  The problem is, if the sky takes up 1/4 of the image vs 1/5 of the image, the metering is going to change drastically, especially if it's really bright.  Just find the exposure you like and leave it like that in manual, and adjust as the light changes.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
www.k2focus.com

ishdakuteb

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 06:36:31 PM »

Center-weighted is center weighted, regardless of the AF point/zone you select. 

When using any metering mode other than evaluative, if you want to meter on a specific part of the scene, you must do just that - set to spot metering mode, put the spot metering circle where you want to meter, press AE lock, then recompose and take the shot.  Evaluative biases the metering toward the selected AF point, but still averages the entire scene (and compared it to the database of stored image parameters).

This diagram shows how the metering is weighted (the coverages are from the 7D; the 5DIII is 6.2% for partial and 1.5% for spot - see p. 167 of the 5DIII manual.

Only evaluative is linked to the AF point.  On 1-series bodies, spot metering can also be linked to the AF point (or iteratively sampled from up to 8 points in the scene then averaged, called multi-spot metering).

i found that this is the best answer to this question...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 06:36:31 PM »