April 19, 2014, 01:51:18 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Spot Meter  (Read 14203 times)

vitaminj08

5D Mark III Spot Meter
« on: April 10, 2012, 05:10:45 PM »
So as I was shooting my little twin cousins this weekend while they were collecting their Easter eggs, I was messing around with trying to use spot metering instead the typical evaluative metering. No matter what I did, my camera always spot metered the very middle of my composition. I was shooting wide open so I was using Spot AF and using my outermost focus points at times. I could easily be wrong, but I thought my 40D allowed me to spot meter wherever my focus point was, not only the center point. Is there a custom function I'm missing or something?

To confirm my speculations, I walked into the house and experimented with metering off open windows and the wall beside it. Yep, it was definitely ONLY reading the very center.

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III Spot Meter
« on: April 10, 2012, 05:10:45 PM »

jrod

Re: 5D Mark III Spot Meter
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 05:35:02 PM »
Unfortunately AF linked spot metering is limited to the 1 series. Spot metering on the MkIII is limited only to the center of the VF. The closest you can get on the MkIII is the evaluative mode which will weight the metering to the selected focus point.

Z

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »
Like jrod said, spot metering off designated AF points is limited to 1 series bodies.

For the 5D III you have to point the center spot at your desired target, press the AE Lock button, then do your recomposing and focusing.

mrmarks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »
In the 5D3, only the evaluative mode (and AE lock in evaluative mode) has metering capability linked to the selected AF point. This info can be found in the manual.

Ryant

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 05:19:53 AM »
Wow, now I understand why my metering has been off. I keep getting shots at the wrong exposure. I thought it was just funky lighting throwing off the sensor. I never switched focus points on the 5d 2 because the other points were basically crap. I tested evaluative mode and it does not use the focus points either. I pointed the 5d mark iii at a lamp next to a dark window and with evaluative mode on i moved the focus point around and it did not change the meter. I cant believe it cant do this, considering the cost of the camera. My iphone can meter to specific spots on its screen. Not that its a fair comparison, but its a 3500 camera.

Ryan

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 06:59:18 AM »
I cant believe it cant do this, considering the cost of the camera.

As I and others have stated, Canon needs to differentiate their lines.  The 1D X has AF point-linked spot metering (as did previous 1-series bodies).  Unfortunately, Canon isn't likely to put all of the 1-series features in a lesser body, despite the fact that everyone seems to think they should.  Honestly, I was really surprised that Canon put the 1D X's AF sensor into the 5DIII, something I'm sure you can appreciate having shot with the 5DII.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »
One thing i noticed, while you cannot link a spot meter directly to an outter AF point, if you go into liveview, you get that white outlined box... move that using your joystick/multicontroller to the spot you want metered and you can meter that area...  I'm not fully sure if that is a "spot" meter or evaluative based on the area selected but it's a nice compromise if you want that functionality. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »

gerga

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 03:51:12 AM »
A way around this might be back-button focusing.  The shutter button can be reconfigured to only conduct metering, not AF on half-press, allowing the AF-ON button near the right thumb to be used to focus: thus you could firstly meter at the centre by half-depressing the shutter button, then recompose and AF using the back button, then shoot.

AndreeOnline

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 05:51:39 AM »
Almost have the reversed problem:

When I'm at evaluative metering, shifting around the AF-point severely adjusts the metering. Almost the function you seem to wish for...

But when you're expecting normal evaluative metering, it kind of throws you off.

How can I turn off linking the evaluative metering to the AF-points??? Can't find it anywhere in the menus or manual.

Thanks

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 06:23:08 AM »
Canon somehow forgot to add this feature on the 5D3. However, it is avalible on the D800, together with other nifty features like facial tracking and an overall better sensor.

spinworkxroy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 06:36:51 AM »
OMG..i had no idea..
I didn't know that ONLY evaluative metering can be used for other AF points..
You mean even center weighted also can't be used for other focus points?
I thought it would be useful especially for landscapes to be able to focus and meter without having to re-frame the shot......maybe that's why my shots are always metered wrongly...i never knew i could not use other point to meter!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 01:40:33 PM »
Canon somehow forgot to add this feature on the 5D3. However, it is avalible on the D800, together with other nifty features like facial tracking and an overall better sensor.

Yes, those features will come in quite handy for portraits with the Nikon 85mm f/1.2 lens, or the truly excellent Nikon 135mm f/2.  Oh, wait..... :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

nesarajah

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »

Yes, those features will come in quite handy for portraits with the Nikon 85mm f/1.2 lens, or the truly excellent Nikon 135mm f/2.  Oh, wait..... :o

<3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »

Oh well, at least Canon gave us the ratebutton and the mode dial lock. :)

arioch82

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • flickr account
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 05:08:59 PM »
I cant believe it cant do this, considering the cost of the camera.

As I and others have stated, Canon needs to differentiate their lines.  The 1D X has AF point-linked spot metering (as did previous 1-series bodies).  Unfortunately, Canon isn't likely to put all of the 1-series features in a lesser body, despite the fact that everyone seems to think they should.  Honestly, I was really surprised that Canon put the 1D X's AF sensor into the 5DIII, something I'm sure you can appreciate having shot with the 5DII.

and here you should please explain me why nikon offer this function even on their $600 entry level dslr if it's something so special that has to be available only on canon's flagship (and maybe we even have to thank for it...)
Canon 5D MkII | EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 05:08:59 PM »