September 16, 2014, 05:56:25 PM

Author Topic: So after my first wedding with my 5d3...  (Read 5375 times)

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
Re: So after my first wedding with my 5d3...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »
Great work, Tim! The 5DIII handles great and is a pleasure to use. IMHO, this is one of the most important elements of a camera when shooting, but unfortunately this seems to get lost in all the squabbling about DR.

Thanks man! BTW I love your work.

I really don't understand how the DR is lacking. If I want to bump up the fill light to 100 I can, and its usable.

I never even noticed any banding on my MK2.

Oh, and with the 70-200 2.8 is in bright day light, focus is literally instantaneous. It focuses in the time it takes me to push the button all the way down.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 12:05:27 AM »
Great work, Tim! The 5DIII handles great and is a pleasure to use. IMHO, this is one of the most important elements of a camera when shooting, but unfortunately this seems to get lost in all the squabbling about DR.

I really don't understand how the DR is lacking. If I want to bump up the fill light to 100 I can, and its usable.

Oh, and with the 70-200 2.8 is in bright day light, focus is literally instantaneous. It focuses in the time it takes me to push the button all the way down.

Thanks!

I stepped up from a 5DC to a 5DIII, so for me there has been a nice improvement in DR. The instances where I need more DR than this camera can offer will be few and far between, and of course there will be measures in the field I can take to work within these limitations.

The more I shoot with this thing, the more I like it. Everything form the reduced shutter lag to the lightning fast AF to the sound of the shutter itself makes it feel like a more substantial camera. My gut reaction to the C1/C2/C3 settings on the the dial was that they were a gimmick, but I'm finding them quite useful.

I was shooting cars on a track a few weeks back with a 1DII, and was waiting to get some shots of one car in particular coming around a corner. During the downtime, I shot statics of the crowd, parked cars, people working on their cars, etc. When the car I was waiting for finally got on track, I had to switch from single shot to high speed continuous shooting, flip the AF from one shot to AI Servo, change from full manual to shutter speed priority, adjust the ISO, and lock in the shutter speed where I wanted it in a matter of seconds. That's a lot of menus to flip through on a 1D, which increases the potential of missing a shot. On the other hand, the ability to change everything at the flip of a dial on the 5DIII is awesome. It's something that will never show up on a lab test, but I'm sure many shooters will appreciate the added user friendliness. 

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 02:22:24 AM »

Thanks!

I stepped up from a 5DC to a 5DIII, so for me there has been a nice improvement in DR. The instances where I need more DR than this camera can offer will be few and far between, and of course there will be measures in the field I can take to work within these limitations.

The more I shoot with this thing, the more I like it. Everything form the reduced shutter lag to the lightning fast AF to the sound of the shutter itself makes it feel like a more substantial camera. My gut reaction to the C1/C2/C3 settings on the the dial was that they were a gimmick, but I'm finding them quite useful.

I was shooting cars on a track a few weeks back with a 1DII, and was waiting to get some shots of one car in particular coming around a corner. During the downtime, I shot statics of the crowd, parked cars, people working on their cars, etc. When the car I was waiting for finally got on track, I had to switch from single shot to high speed continuous shooting, flip the AF from one shot to AI Servo, change from full manual to shutter speed priority, adjust the ISO, and lock in the shutter speed where I wanted it in a matter of seconds. That's a lot of menus to flip through on a 1D, which increases the potential of missing a shot. On the other hand, the ability to change everything at the flip of a dial on the 5DIII is awesome. It's something that will never show up on a lab test, but I'm sure many shooters will appreciate the added user friendliness.

Great point. I've actually never used the C1 2 and 3 dials. Doing weddings, I've never really had a need to do too many changing of settings like that real fast.

As for the improved shutter response, I have to get used to that! I think the button is more sensitive. On more than one occasion i've just wanted to lock focus and i accidentally took a photo. Not saying its bad, it just takes some adjusting. Just like the different location for the zoom button. It took me a while of playing with the camera to get used to it. I'm finally hitting the right button to zoom, and now when i pick up my 5d2, i keep hitting the wrong thing!! I've gotten too used to the new camera! Just cant win!!  :)
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 02:59:52 AM »

Thanks!

Great point. I've actually never used the C1 2 and 3 dials. Doing weddings, I've never really had a need to do too many changing of settings like that real fast.

As for the improved shutter response, I have to get used to that! I think the button is more sensitive. On more than one occasion i've just wanted to lock focus and i accidentally took a photo. Not saying its bad, it just takes some adjusting. Just like the different location for the zoom button. It took me a while of playing with the camera to get used to it. I'm finally hitting the right button to zoom, and now when i pick up my 5d2, i keep hitting the wrong thing!! I've gotten too used to the new camera! Just cant win!!  :)
You might want to try programing the "set" button to zoom to focus point, works great. The left side of the camera is hard to get buttons right by feel, i seem to hit the rate button alot. I just set mine that way. For weddings i have C2 set for receptions with Manual with flash among other things. C3 set to receptions no flash, meaning Manual with huge apertures of 1.8 to start and auto iso as well as other features.C1 set to Aperture Priority and other functions. This will be quite useful. Hopefully we can program how we want our flash to operate in custom functions some day with a firmware update.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:01:24 AM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 10:08:20 AM »
Great work and thanks for the review... Just one quick thing I noticed and take it for what it's worth, be careful with lines, especially strong lines going into or through your subjects..  Like the churches light and dark side corner splits the couple in half like the broken heart cartoons we are all familiar with, the doorway shot the line goes right into her head, so on and so forth.  In the end if your clients loved the shots, kudo's and keep going with it, but just something to look out for in the future. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »
Great work and thanks for the review... Just one quick thing I noticed and take it for what it's worth, be careful with lines, especially strong lines going into or through your subjects..  Like the churches light and dark side corner splits the couple in half like the broken heart cartoons we are all familiar with, the doorway shot the line goes right into her head, so on and so forth.  In the end if your clients loved the shots, kudo's and keep going with it, but just something to look out for in the future.

Some very good points, and I always appreciate some constructive criticism. In this particular case, I didn't really find the lines too distracting, although I do know what you mean. Were there a tree in the background growing out of his head, that would have been worse for sure. :)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 03:05:02 PM »

Some very good points, and I always appreciate some constructive criticism. In this particular case, I didn't really find the lines too distracting, although I do know what you mean. Were there a tree in the background growing out of his head, that would have been worse for sure. :)

In the end if everyones happy that's what counts... Good work and keep us updated and stay away from those trees haha. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 03:05:02 PM »

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »

Just my two cents, but I like the vertical line of the second picture with the light and dark sides of the building coming together. I think it's a good visual metaphor for marriage, because you're stuck together in good times and bad.

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »

Just my two cents, but I like the vertical line of the second picture with the light and dark sides of the building coming together. I think it's a good visual metaphor for marriage, because you're stuck together in good times and bad.

Yes. We'll go with that. haha. ;) Thanks for all your your feedback!!

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 04:07:26 PM »
As you can see in that second photo, there was not a cloud in the sky, yet i still got some great shadow and hilight detail. I'd say the dynamic range of the 5d3 is just fine thank you.

What lenses were you using for those 3 shots you posted?

Very nice..I like the perspective!!!

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »
As you can see in that second photo, there was not a cloud in the sky, yet i still got some great shadow and hilight detail. I'd say the dynamic range of the 5d3 is just fine thank you.

What lenses were you using for those 3 shots you posted?

Very nice..I like the perspective!!!

First one was the Canon 24 1.4 L, Second was with the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L, Third one was with the Sigma 85 1.4. With the exception of macro work with my tokina 100 2.8 and the very rare fisheye shot with my sigma 15 2.8, those three lenses are what I use for 100% of my shots. Gotta love those primes!

unkbob

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 06:20:07 PM »
As for the improved shutter response, I have to get used to that! I think the button is more sensitive. On more than one occasion i've just wanted to lock focus and i accidentally took a photo.

Dude, use the back button for AF and disable AF on the shutter button. Seriously, it makes life so much easier :)

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 06:23:13 PM »
As for the improved shutter response, I have to get used to that! I think the button is more sensitive. On more than one occasion i've just wanted to lock focus and i accidentally took a photo.

Dude, use the back button for AF and disable AF on the shutter button. Seriously, it makes life so much easier :)

I could, but its not really a huge problem. I rather not adjust my shooting style that ive been using for years. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 06:23:13 PM »