October 23, 2014, 05:23:55 AM

Author Topic: Sleeping Joy Stick  (Read 1328 times)

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Sleeping Joy Stick
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:01:23 PM »
Any way to keep the MKlll joy stick awake ?
When covering action events it's not good to have to continually wake up the JS with a shutter button tap.

canon rumors FORUM

Sleeping Joy Stick
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:01:23 PM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping Joy Stick
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »
Any way to keep the MKlll joy stick awake ?
When covering action events it's not good to have to continually wake up the JS with a shutter button tap.
So you can change the AF point straight away, without having to half-press the shutter beforehand?
I'd like to know too, I have to do the same on my 7D...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

MichaelTheMaven

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:23:18 AM »
Its a good question for 5Diii users who haven't already done so. Go into your button customization screen, select the last option (The joystick) and turn it to AF Active Direct Selection. Im not sure why this isn't on as default.

BTW- For those interested, my Crash Course DVD on the Canon 5Diii is now available here:

http://www.canontrainingvideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=41. It covers pretty much everything, including the menus and focusing systems. It is available for immediate download.

Best wishes!

M

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:47:04 AM »
Thanks, Michael, I appreciate the info.
Now I do have the joystick set to move AF but it falls a sleep. I was a track meet today testing and getting accustomed to the new camera. I shot some action with the sensor on the far side activated. Minutes later as another subject moved into action I wanted to give a quick push on the JS to bring the AF back to center to start shooting.
As I began to shoot I realized AF never returned to center because it was asleep and I was stuck quickly fumbling to wake it up and reset it on the fly as runners sped toward me.

I'll step away from the computer and will examine my camera settings. Nice of you to help, I'll check out your guide.

Rex

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 02:19:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure there's no way to change it, at least on the 7D and 5D2. I just checked the 5D3 manual (don't have one) and all the options in that area look the same. The manual says the same "you can turn on the camera again by pressing the shutter button or other buttons". It doesn't say what the other buttons are but the multi-controller doesn't seem to be one of them and there's nothing under custom button assignment that looks like it would alter it.

My pet hate with auto power-off is the custom functions reverting back to saved exposure settings. I don't know if it suits you but I normally set my power off to something long like 15 or 30 minutes. Chews through a bit more power but not much of an issue for shorter events.

D.Sim

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 02:52:52 AM »
I think its the same throughout the range... When the camera goes into sleep mode, the joystick stops responding too, and I end up needing to quickly tap the shutter if I forget to do it beforehand.... an alternative would be to disable sleep mode entirely.. but that will probably shorten your battery life by a LOT

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 05:43:43 AM »
What, in this case, annoys me is that I feel the camera spends much longer to wake up when in standby than the 1d4 and I have never thought of it being slow on the 5d2.

Is the 5d3 slower to wake up than those two?
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 05:43:43 AM »

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 02:34:32 PM »
I had hoped Michaelthemaven was on to something but his suggestion had nothing to do with a sleep timer and joystick. The Power Off menu options control overall power and does not solve the very sleepy joy stick.
Unless I am missing something we will have to cross our fingers for a firmware update.

My 1-D MK ll has a AF  back-to center-button that works well and fortunately is happy to stay awake and be ready to serve.

It's ironic how the new camera can have impressive state-of-the technology and come up short on a few helpful little features.  But that's been my experience with every pro camera I've used.

The wake up and shoot two-step makes no sense with a viewfinder full of sensors.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 12:39:03 PM »
Yes, it did not do what I wanted either.  Maybe a bump in the thread will attract other users' input.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 12:39:03 PM »